I'm seeking information on Dutton Massey of Liverpool and Birkenhead wagons pre-grouping. Hornby made a four plank (incorrect, without end door, and with diagonal outside strapping), as shown in a photograph in Bill Hudson's book. The wagon is old, but Hudson says it was repainted in the 20s. It has a white rectangle with a three circle device in black. The number is 41. A photo in the RCTS publication on the Birkenhead Railway has similar wagons numbered 1233 and 1239 in the 1930s. Bachmann produced a newer 7 plank end door, slightly different livery, numbered 315, again with the three circles black on white device. Modelmasters produce transfers for a wagon identical to the Bachmann, with number options 309, 312, 315 and 317, but with the three circles device in white (on the black bodied wagon). I'm not sure what the source is for the Bachmann and Modelmasters liveries. Does anyone know if the Modelmasters device is valid, and if so does it relate to an earlier livery, or were both devices in use at the same time?

Keith Turton's book (volume 9 of the series, page 50) has three or four photos, all of which show the three circles in black on a white back ground. Except for one which only shows the top plank, and leaves us guessing what is on the door. 

I have never seen any other livery for these wagons, either pre or post group. However, that doesn't prove beyond doubt that there wasn't another livery.

There is a reference I have found to a drawing in The Modeller’s Sketchbook of Private Owner Wagons Book 2 by A G Thomas. I don't have this, but the drawings tend to be post-group - which is why I sold my copy on. If you want my bet, I'd go for the black circles on a white painted door.

Archived