GNR Coach liveries

With the impending release of new kits for the Howlden 45' stock, I'd like to have at least one finished in GNR livery. Having realised that the HMRS GNR transfer sheet only contains post 1906 extended lettering I won't be able to use the original Howlden livery, i.e. small letters, class designations spelt out on the door waist panels and a monogram on the door. Nick Campling, in his Historic Carriage Drawings, states that most pre-Gresley coaches got the newer livery before the grouping, but having searched through all the books I can think of I can find no photos of either six wheeled or short bogie coaches wth the post 1906 livery.

So can anyone point me to a photo of any of the shorter coaches with the later livery?

Have you contacted the GNR Society. They have been very helpful to me from time to time. Allan Sibley is probably your best starting point.

Jonathan

Chris P Bacon is a member of RMWEb and he is very helpful, and is involved in the GN Society

• 5 months later...

Hello Bill et al

Photos or not, does anyone have any suggestions for G.N.R. decals or lettering for the pre 1906 livery?  I am constructing a dozen vehicles from Diagram3d's range of 6-wheelers and bogie stock (Diagram3d) to service my St Albans (Abbey) branch.  My surmise is that most would have retained pre-1906 livery through much of the period to 1923 on a backwater line such as this, Hatfield to St Albans.

Steam and Things of somewhere in Australia has some computer-generated decals it would appear, but don't appear to be distributed in the UK and may entail significant cost, at A$20 per small sheet plus postage and customs and UK postage customs handling surcharge etc.

I tried freehand but not at all satisfactory.  I have some ancient dry-print, but a poor likeness of the font style and so old it is very flaky, and when I tried overlaying to get the blue/white highlight and the black (or dark brown?) shadow, each layer took away the layer below again.

Does anyone have an alternative source or information on anyone's plans for such, or possibly detailed advice on making one's own decals either by computer on suitable backing paper or by hand, noting that these are very small characters?  I think the process entails high quality gummed paper, shellac or other varnish, the artwork, more varnish, and then the application, but detailed advice or pointers to it would be most welcome.

Further to my question above, I've been in touch with Robert from Steam and Things and queried the lack of a shadow on his decals.  ("(i) Does the on line graphic show what you have produced, correctly, as the absence of right/downward shading is very conspicuous; (ii) is the online graphic the full sheet; and (iii) what will I have to pay you to receive two sheets in the UK?")  He replied, "(i) The line graphic shows correctly - there is no right / downward shading on the decals. It is down / left as per the prototype information sent me years ago by a client. If you want something different then I can oblige.

(ii) The attached jpeg shows what is on a 4mm sheet

(iii) Cost is A$25 per sheet, plus A$7.50 postage, + optional mail insurance A$10

...  I can produce in up to 10 working days. For sterling divide A$ by 2 to get approximate amount. I'll need to give a proper quote."

As I replied to him, I am now perplexed. The originals, in common with much coaching stock calligraphy of the period, had a white highlight 'shading' descending to blue lowlight, to the left and below, representing the third dimension effect to make the lettering appear raised.  This is what he has represented in blue.  But I had also assumed that they also have the shadow in black, or possibly dark brown in the GNR case, that would be cast if the letters were raised and lit from top left.  It is the latter I was referring to.  This shadow is very clear for all the LNER pictures I can find, but is not at all clear for the GNR, before or after 1906. It is very clearly represented on the HMRS/PC transfers, which are mainly the post-1906 character sets, but may actually be wrong.  Some preserved examples have the right-ward shadow, others don't.  Nick Campling's drawing of GNR lettering in situ, and of LNER lettering at large scale, doesn't show it, in Historic Carriage Drawings.

Should there be a dark shadow to the right and below, on GNR carriage lettering pre and post 1906?

There are two problems with the Steam & Things pre-1906 transfers. The 'GNR" and numbers should be the same face as the smaller lettering i.e. not extended. Also the shading is wrong there should be a white high light or a brown low light between the gold face and the blue shadow.

I and working on some transfer drawings, but I'm still short of a few number shapes.

Good to hear that someone is tackling proper GNR transfers at last. Bill will these include the carriage door monogram?

Below is an example of hand painted lettering and monogram by Bob Timmins for the Vintage Carriage Trust at Ingrow. Bob clearly does his research as the result is pretty accurate:

post-3717-0-42034800-1467890440_thumb.jpg

My only criticism (and in fairness the painting may have been incomplete) is it should also have a black drop shadow over the brown.

Thanks very much for responses from both esteemed gentlemen.  And the pic clearly shows a brown shadow right and below.  Obviously Bill your time is your own, but how long do you suppose one might have to wait for them to be available?

And also thanks for the link to your website and the GNR 6-wheel axleguards, I was scratching my head over sourcing those, contemplating a pirate latex mould from your/Dart's GNR Fox bogie sides to get the axlebox shape.  2 x £28 means I have to save some pocket money though.

Archived