Hayfield Station - mocking up the layout to get the lie of the land

pod909

Control blocks and summary of operations

Hayfield Station is a terminus with trains arriving on the down line and departing on the up line. The station consists of an 8 track ladder. With a few edge cases any operation requires control over the station throat so access to the throat is guarded by physical or virtual signalling. As a result it's going to be rare to have more than one loco in motion. The level crossing a the top of the throat will also take control of the throat.

The up line runs to the platform, with the down line providing the run around via a lead at the top of the throat. This lead also provides the connection when switching locos and stock between ladders. For goods shunting it's also possible to use the up line a the entry of the station as a lead.

To the north 2 sidings provide servicing for engines and passenger stock. When necessary the north most track also acts as a head shunt.

The next 2 tracks provide service for the Kinder Railway. North a siding used for services on the KR and to its south the KR arrival and departure track.

The south of the platform 3 tacks provide good services. The north most track access the good shed. The southernmost sidings provide staging for wagons on arrival or ready for departure.

post-28139-0-69443200-1454350510_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Pod909 has the right answer, we get a lot of locos on an 18" x 12" sheet, there isn't enough demand for 2mm etches to justify each one having its own tool. It's impossible to predict (in any scale) which ones will be popular so in the case of the 2mm etches sold out ones go on a different etch as well. We often ask people to guess which is our top selling kit, nobody has ever got the answer correct and in case you are wondering:

best seller (in all scales - 2mm, 4mm and 7mm)  NER ES1 Bo-Bo electric

2nd place is YE Taurus in 1:87 scale.

Mike and Judith

• Like 1

Some progress made on the front elevation of the station house.

Not sure what to do with the stones in the wall. Include in the model, stick on stone effect afterwards or leave as is. The stone work on the prototype is pretty flat and probably wouldn't be visible at scale. What's the general consensus on the best approach for 2mm?

IMHO, many modellers overdo texture. Apply the 2ft rule. If you can't see it from that distance, don't put it in. can't judge in this particular case, but if the stonework is close-fitting smooth stone work (Ashlar?), very little texture will be needed: basically and indication of the courses. Is it your intention to 3-D print it? If so, perhaps all you need is scribing for the courses.

Mark A

• 1 month later...
Guest bri.s

this company has had some bad press

Had a good read of a few threads after first finding the website and your right ,pity there would have been a few loco's I'd have liked

Brian

Had a good read of a few threads after first finding the website and your right ,pity there would have been a few loco's I'd have liked

Brian

Brian to be honest i  got one of their first LMS locos  with the cast boiler I am still slowly slogging away at it  I think they  tried to do too much too quickly 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I appreciate that this is an old topic, but as I’m hoping to recreate a Hayfield station layout I was hoping I might get a head start by finding out if anyone has a Templot model I could take advantage of…?

It would also be great to see what progress was made with this layout.

kind regards 

simon

Edited by couplands

51 minutes ago, colin.divall said:

Be interested to hear how you get on - I live in the village and have wondered over the years about modelling all or part of the station, or that at Birch. Perhaps in another life...!

Colin 

Hi Colin,

I live in Birch Vale, right on the Sett Valley Trail, opposite the island in the reservoir, so know the area well. Have you seen Ken Rangleys video of the railway from 1968..? Very nostalgic and sad. Edit: just saw you were involved in the remake of the video based on Ken’s original..lol

I’ve got a good track plan and loads of old photos of the line and stations (both Hayfield and Birch Vale). I’m just trying to figure out if I can get it all on 2 or 3 4ft long base boards..!

Will post any progress I make.

cheers

simon

Edited by couplands