Hattons New Store Development

Andy Y

At least it's good to know it's not gone but it does seem like it's gonna be a long trek to Widnes now. Especially since I'm going to Liverpool on Monday. Luckily I'm staying just outside Liverpool near the M62 so getting there won't be too much of a journey. I do look forward to seeing there new store.

Yes Darrel, I love the Beatle's connection. Don't forget the Fire Station, although I believe that has closed down now. Train stations are Hunts Cross, Widnes or Hough Green after that it is Runcorn. I have never seen any signs of a bus stop anywhere near there. The main road is the Ford Road or Expressway. Meets up with the continuation of the M57 which is the A5300. About half a mile from that junction on an industrial estate. Car or taxi only real alternatives.

You are right, the Fire Station closed last April. had many a happy shift there in the 70's

I've just realised that Hatton's new site is opposite where Alstom are planning on building a new facility, so perhaps they might get a few new customers from there!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/alstom-submits-plans-develop-hbc-10501132

Whoa - well spotted bennyboy, I hadn't put 2 + 2 together, it is just across the tracks from there!

Ditton station is looking pretty ropey these days...

Whoa - well spotted bennyboy, I hadn't put 2 + 2 together, it is just across the tracks from there!

Ditton station is looking pretty ropey these days...

After I posted that I also realised that the new Hattons is on the site of what used to be Ditton Sleeper Depot, so if you can smell creosote when you visit the shop you'll know why!

After I posted that I also realised that the new Hattons is on the site of what used to be Ditton Sleeper Depot, so if you can smell creosote when you visit the shop you'll know why!

This dopey old geezer was thinking why would they use Creosote in the repair of Sleeping Cars  -       :scratchhead:         Honest.

Then the Penny dropped.         . :no:

I wonder how many people came into the hobby by passing down Smithfield Road and seeing what was in the window, We've all heard the stories of boys who've seen a train set in a shop window and pleaded with Mum and Dad to have it as a Christmas present. Easy enough for a shop in a town centre, not so easy for an industrial unit tucked away on a cul-de-sac out of town.

Indicentally,I notice their RMWeb banner add still says "Hatton's of Liverpool"...

I read somewhere that Hatton's use YODEL parcel carriers. If anyone saw the Dispatches programme last night on Channel 4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/62079-004 they won't order anything by mail order again if you expect to receive it in one piece.

I live near Chester and can be to Hatton's and back in an hour or so by car, going over the Runcorn Bridge. That way I can be sure the item IS in one piece. I was last there either side of Christmas.

• RMweb Premium

I read somewhere that Hatton's use YODEL parcel carriers. If anyone saw the Dispatches programme last night on Channel 4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/62079-004 they won't order anything by mail order again if you expect to receive it in one piece.

I live near Chester and can be to Hatton's and back in an hour or so by car, going over the Runcorn Bridge. That way I can be sure the item IS in one piece. I was last there either side of Christmas.

The good news is that unless things have changed now, Hattons let you choose between Yodel and Royal Mail.

However, it seems you don't always get what you ask for. 

A couple of years ago I ordered something, chose Royal Mail and got Yodel.

On the other hand, I ordered on a Sunday and it turned up - in perfect condition - on the Monday, which I wasn't expecting. I wasn't in a rush to get it, but if I had been it would have been nice.

• RMweb Premium

The good news is that unless things have changed now, Hattons let you choose between Yodel and Royal Mail.

However, it seems you don't always get what you ask for. 

A couple of years ago I ordered something, chose Royal Mail and got Yodel.

On the other hand, I ordered on a Sunday and it turned up - in perfect condition - on the Monday, which I wasn't expecting. I wasn't in a rush to get it, but if I had been it would have been nice.

i ask when i got yodel instead of royal mail yodel collect later so they will send by yodel to get it to you sooner since then i have always put when ordering royal mail only and so far that has worked

. Train stations are

Hopefully not a virus that I will ever see again on a Railway interest website, sob, walks off to lie down in a darkened room.

For my two penne'th, having a son in Uni in Liverpool and having already been done by the parking Stazi a few months ago, not a moment to soon. I have driven past the shop a few times but finding nowhere near to park have given up and continued my journey. Now hopefully a few minutes from the M62 and no little Hitlers waiting to pounce I will be able to stop and browse in peace. I guess in a perfect world they would have found somewhere near public transport but I guess it's a win for the majority.

John.

Hopefully not a virus that I will ever see again on a Railway interest website, sob, walks off to lie down in a darkened room.

For my two penne'th, having a son in Uni in Liverpool and having already been done by the parking Stazi a few months ago, not a moment to soon. I have driven past the shop a few times but finding nowhere near to park have given up and continued my journey. Now hopefully a few minutes from the M62 and no little Hitlers waiting to pounce I will be able to stop and browse in peace. I guess in a perfect world they would have found somewhere near public transport but I guess it's a win for the majority.

John.

References to the Stazi and Hitler in the context of parking are way OTT and rather distasteful, in my opinion.

In general ( though mistakes can be made) if you don't park where you shouldn't then you won't get a ticket.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Yesterday, I managed to break away from reviewing the final colour layouts for the 14xx's to discuss our new store development with Simon Kohler and Ben Jones. Both Simon and Ben have a wealth of knowledge regarding retailing in both the industry and hobby, we had a very productive afternoon putting pen to paper planning our new store. 

I'll be keeping you up to date as the store development progresses - we're really keen to make it a 'home' for modellers and the amount of interesting ideas formed yesterday should help make this a reality. 

Cheers, 

Dave

post-28458-0-80183500-1455791793_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-80777000-1455791799_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-97128600-1455791805_thumb.jpg

Hi all, 

Yesterday, I managed to break away from reviewing the final colour layouts for the 14xx's to discuss our new store development with Simon Kohler and Ben Jones. Both Simon and Ben have a wealth of knowledge regarding retailing in both the industry and hobby, we had a very productive afternoon putting pen to paper planning our new store. 

I'll be keeping you up to date as the store development progresses - we're really keen to make it a 'home' for modellers and the amount of interesting ideas formed yesterday should help make this a reality. 

Cheers, 

Dave

Hi Dave. I am (was) a regular visitor by car to your old shop, (mail order also) and I always received courteous and quick service from the staff.

I will visit your new shop once it is fully set up and running. Will you have a selection of secondhand alongside the new stuff on display in the cabinets as you did latterly in your old shop ?, I found quite a few useful items there. Will you have a similar floor space / number of cabinets as the old shop in your new one ?

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave. I am (was) a regular visitor by car to your old shop, (mail order also) and I always received courteous and quick service from the staff.

I will visit your new shop once it is fully set up and running. Will you have a selection of secondhand alongside the new stuff on display in the cabinets as you did latterly in your old shop ?, I found quite a few useful items there. Will you have a similar floor space / number of cabinets as the old shop in your new one ?

Brit15

As per our previous shop, we've got a cabinet in the temporary store dedicated to Pre-Owned items that aren't on the website ( having had a look in on my lunch break there's a very tempting Hornby Class 60 in there currently...) and we're currently looking into how we'll place this in the new store layout. Footprint wise will be about the same as we had at Smithdown Road.

Cheers,

Dave

I'm very pleased to see Hatton's have joined RMWeb and continue to engage about the shop move.

Looking at the pictures posted by Hatton's Dave, I hope the display cabinets will return to the rolling stock out of the boxes and displayed on stretches of track. In my experience, it has lead to numerous impulse purchases!

I hope the display cabinets will return to the rolling stock out of the boxes and displayed on stretches of track. In my experience, it has lead to numerous impulse purchases!

On my visit last week most of the locos on display in the cabinets were unboxed, it's probably just a temporary measure that the other rolling stock items were boxed.

Don't give up so easily. It's only a 5-minute walk from a bus stop. But perhaps not for the faint-hearted. smile.gif

Admittedly it is the best part of 50 years since I was last in Widnes, so this is all from Google.

Bus no. 2 from Widnes every 15 minutes:

attachicon.gifhattons_bus1.png

Aerial view:

attachicon.gifhattons_bus2.jpg

Start of walk:

attachicon.gifhattons_bus4.jpg

End of walk:

attachicon.gifhattons_bus5.jpg

Bus timetable:

attachicon.gifhattons_bus3.png

Google Streetview links:

https://goo.gl/maps/j4dVZuQ2QS32

https://goo.gl/maps/6Ucqeex3YjM2

Martin.

Just catching up with this, Only found out from a magazine last week that Hattons had moved, was my emergency sunday run out whenever I needed some thing on the spur of the moment. Good luck with getting to it on foot from the route pictured in Martins thread, it goes through the middle of the Police dog training centre, WOOF! WOOF! I only live up the road from there. For the past year living in Ditton feels like you are baricaded in with all the roadworks for the new bridge. Trying to get through Widnes from Ditton is a right pain and will be for the next year or so until the join to the new bridge is finished. Good news is the new Hattons is now only 2 minutes away for me, bad news is my wallet could be getting slimmer. But definately for info, no public transport stops near it even though there is a limited stop express bus route from Runcorn to Liverpool that goes up the main expressway it does not stop at the island junction.

Update 28/2/2016 - had a reccy today and definately no way through. The dog training centre has taken up all the land and the road through is not there anymore. Went over to Hattons in the car and no way through from that end either , everything at the end of the road on the industrial estate is all fenced off. There is also another new road from the industrial estate that crosses the railway mainline that looks like it will come out onto the road that leads into Halebank but this is not open yet either.

View from the main road, everything on the right side of the fence is the dog centre:

cid_85ACAC46-3943-4735-9FEE-230C26680A2E

What replaces the 3 concrete blocks in Martins picture, to the left of this are the gates to the network rail yard which has no access.

cid_568C885A-A5E9-4BF3-B282-10F44D3ADCA7

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've put a survey together with a few short questions to assist us planning our new store. We're really keen to make sure that the store is built to best suit modellers as well as new starters so this is your perfect chance to let us know what you'd want from our new premises. There's also the chance to win £50 to spend on our website, and a year's subscription to BRM Magazine so it's well worth a go!

Since I am not too busy at the moment (and feeling a bit lightheaded) I completed, if you can call it that, the survey.  All I can say is I hope you don't pay it too much attention.  As a survey, it definitely leaves a lot to be desired if you really want valid information.

Paid the new place a visit today as I was passing, certainly lacks the character of the old shop but let's see it finished before we pass any judgement. One observation is that the temporary layout lends itself to the staff engaging with customers, more so than being stuck behind the barrier of a counter might encourage. I compared it as being a bit like a car showroom with the sales staff scattered around the showroom. They were of course as pleasant and helpful as ever and I wish them well.

Archived