Rannoch Junction

ANT

Rannoch Junction

By the Risborough & District Model Railway Club.

I thought I would post about how this layout has progressed over the last couple of years.

As we did not wish to make the layout a copy of a particular station on the West Highland Line, but to meld of several different locations. Therefore a new station has had to be “inventedâ€, it is proposed that a different station had been built slightly south of Rannoch which had a branch of towards Kinloch Rannoch and Pithochry. This line was built to connect with the Highland main line. This station would be called Rannoch Junction. A simple track plan is shown below, showing the typical island platform with West Highland chalet style building, with log loading sidings, engine shed, now used for refuelling and stabling or the odd locomotive.

post-7053-126754628224_thumb.jpg

We are building a 12’ straight scenic section, with 5’ fiddle yards either end. To start with the layout would be set in early to mid 1980s before the Radio Electronic Token Block (RETB) system had been installed and the signals removed in late 1985-1988. However many of the stations on this route have seen little change since the late sixties, so there would be the opportunity to run some earlier stock.

Loco hauled passenger trains made up of blue/grey mk1 and or mk2s hauled by classes’ 37/27 will mix with Railfreight, oil and timber trains, and even the occasional Steam Specials probably hauled by a Black 5. All items of stock with be detailed and weathered.

Baseboards are made up using 9mm ply sides with 6mm tops with the ends built from 3†by 1†pine. These are joined together with pattern makers dowels and clips.

The fiddle yards will utilise the cassette system, thus minimising the handling of the stock. There will be different lengths depending if a loco or a train.

post-7053-126754630559_thumb.jpg

post-7053-126754633425_thumb.jpg

Photos by Pete Miller at Risex 2008.

Peco Code 75 track is used, and when carefully ballasted and weathered will give a realistic and finescale appearance.

All the buildings based on prototypes will be scratch built from plasticard, these will include, station, signal box and engine shed, the latter now been used for engineers storage.

Scenery, hills are to be built up on foam or polystyrene blocks carved to shape and then covered in filler or plaster. Trees will be mainly made from sea moss covered in appropriate scatter material.

The layout is wired for conventional cab control, so that either of the 2 controllers can operate any part of the layout. All the points will be controlled from the main control panel with the simple but effective probe and stud method.

I will add some more pics of how the layout has progressed when I next get down the club and take some photos.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello

Rannoch Junction Signal Box

post-7053-126771472436_thumb.jpg

Photo by Paul Wright

This model built by Pete Miller is based on the large West Highland signal box at Crianlarich (other smaller stations had smaller, squarer buildings). Research shows up at least 4 different shades of green for the timber work during the 1980s alone!

Construction: 1mm Perspex box with scored windows, filled with paint, clad with various types of plasticard including Slaters and Wills 'slate' for the roof. Timberwork is scored 1mm sheet and evergreen strip. Lead flashing is strips of Tesco value copier paper. Paint is various mixes of Humbrol enamel.

To complete, 1x chimmney pot, lever frame and a coat of paint for the inside. Once these are done the flashing around the chimmney needs to be finished. A station nameboard, then a bit more weathering...

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello Emac

Thanks for the pics.

Pete Miller is my partner in crime on this layout, and he is the one that built the Signal Box.

I think that he might be having a go at the station building soon!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello Emac

Thanks for the pics.

Pete Miller is my partner is crime on this layout, and he is the one that built the Siganl Box.

I think that he is doing a demo at Ally Pally at the end of the month, so hopfully he might be having a go at the station building.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

The best plans I have came across for a west highland station is in the 1944 0r 1947 LNER booklet story of the west highland (not the reprint)appedix A or there is a good drawing at

http://www.arrocharheritage.com/Navvies.htm

have posted a few details of Arrochar and tarbert in the late 80s with a little detail

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6643&do=view_album&album=261

may help

Hello All

I thought that I would post some links, with some very good photos of the West Highland line set in and around the time, plans of the layout. These sites have helped and are going to help with, the trains and scenics that we intend to develop on the layout.

From Ernies Scottish Railway Archive wesbite

CRAIGENDORAN to CRIANLARICH

TYNDRUM to SPEAN BRIDGE

FORT WILLIAM to MALLAIG

Views along the West Highland

From Monkeysnaps 3 website

Scotland 1980 - 96

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello

He is a more recent picture of the layout, with the foundations for the scenery in place.

The platform has also been added.

post-7053-126892421255_thumb.jpg

Photo by Paul Wright

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hi Ant,

I must say your layout is coming along at a great pace. I particularly like your signal box and the way the landscape has been formed. I am building my version of Rannoch Moor on here as well which you may have already seen - it is good to see how different both of our layouts will be despite being along a similar theme although at your rate of progress you will be fininshed long before me! I am looking forward to seeing yours progress.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello

Now for something a little different, life under the baseboard!

post-7053-126927056512_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Your wiring always was bloody neat!!!

Glad to see you and Pete still at it! Remember the old Junior layout? Forget the name! And the N gauge one before that!

Keep the photos coming and say hello to Pete

Russell

Hi Ant,

I must say your layout is coming along at a great pace. I particularly like your signal box and the way the landscape has been formed. I am building my version of Rannoch Moor on here as well which you may have already seen - it is good to see how different both of our layouts will be despite being along a similar theme although at your rate of progress you will be fininshed long before me! I am looking forward to seeing yours progress.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark

I have noticed your layout on here, and have been following your thread with great interest.

The landscape has been formed of polystyrene blocks, cut to shape using a hacksaw blade, this has then been covered in mod-roc. Then painted, the colour that we used was called chocolate!

We have been building the layout for about 3 years, to get to the condition you see in the photos.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

With some delicious buildings and wonderfully-neat wiring, you are off to a fine start. I assume from the wiring pic that the layout is either DCC, or intended to be DCC-convertible?

Hello Ian

Thanks for your comments.

The station building in the photo is a card mock up, with the sides and ends coming out of a past Railway Modeller mag, ie copied to 4mm, then stuck on and coloured in, sorry can't remember which issue!

The wiring is for DC, but could be fairly easily converted to DCC. I guess the reason that you thought it was DCC, because of the colours I used for the wires?

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Over the Easter weekend our club had one of its modelling Saturdays.

So it was decided that, as the weather was not to bad to spray the track.

Here is a pic of me spraying the track; I have had some guidance from David Bigcheeseplant who is stood next to me.

post-7053-127118570201_thumb.jpg

Photo by Paul Wright

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• 9 months later...

Hello

It been a while.

Following on from our research trip to the West Highlands at the beginning of August, we have chosen to model the scenics as they are in the summer, from that I have purchased some grass fibres, these are made by miniNatur and have been purchased through International Models, summer grass fibres in 6.5mm and spring grass fibres in 6.5mm to mix in, as this will then break up uniform colour.

All the hills have had the grass applied to them using a Noch Grass Master, so as I had one of the boards at home this week to do a wiring mod, I thought I better provide an update a pic to were we have got to.

post-7053-0-28759000-1295017146_thumb.jpg

We are hoping to start the ballasting tonight down the club.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• 1 month later...

Hello

We ballasted the layout 2 weeks ago, then spent all of Friday night before Risex cleaning the track and getting the points to work.

Below are some of the photos that I took at Risex yesterday.

post-7053-0-40712500-1298817297_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-09259400-1298817323_thumb.jpg

A couple of 37402.

post-7053-0-04253800-1298817308_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the station.

post-7053-0-64094100-1298817346_thumb.jpg

Black 5 44913 arrives at Rannoch Junction with a special.

post-7053-0-32500600-1298817395_thumb.jpg

Black 5 44913 at Rannoch Junction.

post-7053-0-87033900-1298817438_thumb.jpg

37410 rest at the shed.

post-7053-0-79190200-1298817460_thumb.jpg

A close up of the new scratch built shed, built by Pete Miller.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Archived