4mm scale Welsh wagon transfers

Poggy1165

I have been tidying up and have turned up a small stash of 4mm scale Welsh pre-grouping wagon transfers. I think they are the ones produced many years ago by Mr A. T. Miller.

They include B&M, Barry, Taff Vale, RR and R&SB. Offered free to a good home, as I only work in 7mm nowadays. First PM to reach me secures. Sorry, but obviously there will only be one lucky camper. I hope these will be of use to someone. If memory serves they are waterslide, and although rather ancient, I hope they will still do the job.

All the best,

Brian

There is a rumour that the Welsh Railways Research Circle is contemplating producing some Welsh transfers. However, the rumour also is that they move at the sort of pace that a tortoise would find frustratingly slow. For those who are interested, I suggest you get in touch with the WRRC and put some pressure on them.

• RMweb Premium

There was a proposal for the WRRC to work with the HMRS on producing transfers for the Welsh companies. Indeed it changed its constitution to allow such sales. However, for practical reasons this is not being proceeded with at the moment. It is not the fault of the WRRC as the initiative came from the HMRS. If anyone, blame me.

I believe that Dragon Models may still offer some and the Furness Wagon Co was thinking about 7mm ones, but I am not sure how far that idea has got.

Jonathan

Powsides have long since done "Cambrian" and "Cam\|/Rys" transfers for three-plank dropsides, but despite being told twice by me and no doubt many more times by others in the know, they do not feature on their website so few people are aware of them. 

They are similar in nature to those formerly supplied by Dragon but rather better in quality (I've never had a Powsides transfer break up on me, which was a regular problem with Dragons), and a slightly better fit on a Wizard white-metal kit.  The Powsides transfers also include running numbers, which the Dragon transfers did not.

I've more than once wondered how many other unlisted treasures there are in Powsides range.

• Like 1

Powsides have long since done "Cambrian" and "Cam\|/Rys" transfers for three-plank dropsides, but despite being told twice by me and no doubt many more times by others in the know, they do not feature on their website so few people are aware of them. 

They are similar in nature to those formerly supplied by Dragon but rather better in quality (I've never had a Powsides transfer break up on me, which was a regular problem with Dragons), and a slightly better fit on a Wizard white-metal kit.  The Powsides transfers also include running numbers, which the Dragon transfers did not.

I've more than once wondered how many other unlisted treasures there are in Powsides range.

This is very interesting I will have to contact POWSides. We looked at producing 7mm Welsh transfers but the cost of buying the software required and the time taken to produce them meant that it would get in the way of our core business of rolling stock.

Marc 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Powsides did some for me last year in 3mm/ft. I'd noticed the Cambrian gunpowder van set and when talking to him about doing a 3mm version (he's done quite a few 3mm versions of his transfers in the past, some were offered by Finney & Smith and are now part of the 3mm Society products) he revealed the "3 plank" version so he did some of those for me as well. I'm not sure about the "3 plank" bit; think these would do for both 2 plank and 4 plank.

Anyway they should be fine in 4mm. For 3mm he did say he might have a bit of trouble reducing the feathers crest (think it was done as a special and wasn't easily rescaleable) and indeed it does seem a bit large so may be the 4mm version, but otherwise think they look great. Here's the gunpowder van:

post-26119-0-69339100-1455667540.jpg

I think he'd be open to doing more Cambrian transfers if he had a good source of information. I could do with van and brake van transfers, as well as other things like locomotive and coach transfers.

I'm not hugely enthusiastic about using Pressfix style transfers, so what I do is whack the complete set down onto decal paper, varnish it, then treat it like waterslide transfers.

Edited by NCB
  • Like 2

The POWsides CA MBRI AN transfer is spaced for the 2 plank dropside. Both styles can be used on any 2 or 3 plank and the 4 plank from Cambrian Models. I had a load in stock myself but have now sold out. I'm looking at commissioning my own Cambrian rub down transfers when I find the time, there's a mind numbing amount of variation. Cam Kits has already gotten off the blocks with some waterslide ones from Fox but you'll have to check with them how progress is doing. 

• Like 1

This is very interesting I will have to contact POWSides. We looked at producing 7mm Welsh transfers but the cost of buying the software required and the time taken to produce them meant that it would get in the way of our core business of rolling stock.

Marc 

I had a word with POWsides I was told they did do the transfers in 4mm and 7mm. My next question was why were they not on their website. The answer was their didn't know. I was told that they were going to send me a set of both the early and late sets. When they arrive I will tell all.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The chat I had with Powsides seemed to indicate that the transfers were produced some time ago and not via the techniques they now use (maybe they were hand-drawn?), and hence didn't form part of the body of what they now offer. But probably this isn't a big stumbling block.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I have a test sheet coming this week for a portion of my planned Cambrian bits, comprising of CAM RYS lettering, load and tare to fit the Cambrian Models C111 4-plank. 

The artwork drawn so far is all in the CAM RYS Style and is for:

1. 2 Plank Dropsides - 8T/10T Load with variations in style for load and tare and a handful of running numbers for the ends. 

2. 2 Plank Dropsides Running numbers - for ends and sides in the case of Pickering 1902 variants

3. 2 Plank fixed sides. Currently includes no tare because I can't find any photos which show it, I am working on this! 

4. 4 Plank 10T wagons including alternate tare and running numbers

5. Miscellany. Ballast wagons, extra numerals and early 7Ton lettering (pre Cam Rys livery)

6. 2 Plank Dropside Value pack - lettering laid out for 4 wagons, alternate 10Ton and tare variations for 2 wagons and the full extra numbers set from No. 2.

There is also:

7. GWR Absorbed wagon 30993. (2 Plank Dropside converted to fixed). Lettering for one wagon. 25in GW.

8. GWR Absorbed Wagon 31879 (2 Plank dropside lettered for Ballast traffic on the Coast Section) 16in GW.

• Like 1

For those interested, I have a test sheet coming this week for a portion of my planned Cambrian bits, comprising of CAM RYS lettering, load and tare to fit the Cambrian Models C111 4-plank. 

The artwork drawn so far is all in the CAM RYS Style and is for:

1. 2 Plank Dropsides - 8T/10T Load with variations in style for load and tare and a handful of running numbers for the ends. 

2. 2 Plank Dropsides Running numbers - for ends and sides in the case of Pickering 1902 variants

3. 2 Plank fixed sides. Currently includes no tare because I can't find any photos which show it, I am working on this! 

4. 4 Plank 10T wagons including alternate tare and running numbers

5. Miscellany. Ballast wagons, extra numerals and early 7Ton lettering (pre Cam Rys livery)

6. 2 Plank Dropside Value pack - lettering laid out for 4 wagons, alternate 10Ton and tare variations for 2 wagons and the full extra numbers set from No. 2.

There is also:

7. GWR Absorbed wagon 30993. (2 Plank Dropside converted to fixed). Lettering for one wagon. 25in GW.

8. GWR Absorbed Wagon 31879 (2 Plank dropside lettered for Ballast traffic on the Coast Section) 16in GW.

How hard would it be to turn the sheets into 7mm?

Marc

Well the testing transfers have arrived, and they are works of art if I do say so myself! Just a shame that I am useless at applying transfers, so the applied pics don't do them justice at all.

post-21854-0-34681500-1456834443_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-82788900-1456834446_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-45461800-1456834450_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-02327000-1456834454_thumb.jpg

And a comparison: Dragon Models on the left, mine in the middle and Powsides on the right...

post-21854-0-41889000-1456834457_thumb.jpg

There are some very awkwardly placed rivets in the side rail, so I'm going to tweak the artwork so as to avoid them - as you can see my T in tons fell foul of one, as did the separator in the tare weight! 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 2

Well the testing transfers have arrived, and they are works of art if I do say so myself! Just a shame that I am useless at applying transfers, so the applied pics don't do them justice at all.

attachicon.gifSLIDEP1050173.jpg

attachicon.gifSLIDEP1050174.jpg

attachicon.gifSLIDEP1050176.jpg

attachicon.gifSLIDEP1050177.jpg

And a comparison: Dragon Models on the left, mine in the middle and Powsides on the right...

attachicon.gifSLIDEP1050180.jpg

There are some very awkwardly placed rivets in the side rail, so I'm going to tweak the artwork so as to avoid them - as you can see my T in tons fell foul of one, as did the separator in the tare weight! 

the look good if you do some In 7mm I will have some

Marc 

I can do the artwork in any size required, but I don't particularly want to be holding stocks of loads of different sizes, I haven't the space!  Would those of you who fancy anything other than 4mm let me know how many of what you'd like and I can see about working out some sheets specifically to your needs. That should help keep the costs down too. 

The crest was drawn directly over a photo having adjusted for perspective and then scaled. The individual dots are 0.13mm! 

I have now added 15 Ton Loco Coal Wagons from Pickering with 3 running numbers and matching tare weights (I have all the tare weights available for the Loco Coal wagons which is nice!). This necessitated another new font style as it was noticeably different to the other font I've been using, which I also had to make in the first place. 

Despite there only being 2 batches of these wagons, Oswestry managed to put 2 different styles of livery on them - copying Pickering but in their own font and a variant with the lettering across 2 planks instead of the original 3 and seemingly no other lettering (or moved to the side rail if it is there, pic is too poor quality to tell).

post-21854-0-69888500-1456936061.png

post-21854-0-64254700-1456936694.png

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can do the artwork in any size required, but I don't particularly want to be holding stocks of loads of different sizes, I haven't the space!  Would those of you who fancy anything other than 4mm let me know how many of what you'd like and I can see about working out some sheets specifically to your needs. That should help keep the costs down too. 

Bit difficult to know at the moment what I do need in 3mm. What I've decided to do is go ahead and build the stock I'm interested in (wagons, coaches, locomotives) without worrying about the livery, and when I have a reasonable variety  then starting thinking about transfers. Doing it that way should be easier to think in terms of quantities and type, and should be easier to see if something can be worked out based on the transfers you do produce.

So far, apart from the gunpowder van, I've done the following three wagons:

post-26119-0-12833100-1457053170.jpg

The brake van and 2 plank are scratch built, done to gain experience at it; the coal wagon is cheat and simply a 19C RCH wagon kit! The transfers are Dragon 4mm ones. With the 2 plank the idea was to eventually come up with masters for resin casting, as the 3mm Society was inviting members to produce masters of unusual prototypes to widen the stock available. The strapping is microstrip with brass wire rivets; I'm thinking of experimenting doing another with etched strapping to see how it compares. I've also a van in mind.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

Nicely creative! I do a body for the 15T Coal Wagon on Shapeways in 3mm scale, though it's expensive. https://www.shapeways.com/product/LG9YGTF8F/cambrian-railways-loco-coal-15t-3mm-scale

I haven't bit the bullet and ordered a 4mm one yet. It's painstakingly drawn from the rather knackered Pickering G.A. Drawing, which took some doing! 

If you don't mind chopping up transfers the same Cam Rys Lettering could be used on many wagons, most of the difference is in spacing the height is quite similar across 2,3, 4 and that one Oswestry 8 Plank wagon. 

Last night I added Single Timber trucks to the transfers, as well as finished off the artwork for some 3D printing of the wagon to fit them to:

post-21854-0-24293500-1457096415_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-48065100-1457096508_thumb.png

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1

Look forward to the wagon but I am spending money like water at the moment so I have to be careful.  The transfers are probably too late for me though.

Most of them are yes, but don't worry  http://www.coastlinemodels.co.uk/product/cambrian-railways-miscellaneous-wagon-transfers/ features the old style small lettering for fixed side 2 plank wagons that are easily converted from dropside wagons.