101 Not Out - A Scalefour Society & EM Gauge Society Skills Day

Dave Searle

• RMweb Premium

post-203-0-31235700-1453363812.jpg

Ruxley Church, Ruxley Lane, West Ewell KT19 0JG

12 March 2016; 10.30am – 4.30pm

free admission

101 Not Out is being held to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Scalefour Society and 61 years of the EM Gauge Society and continues the programme of Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Days promoted by the EMGS. We look forward to seeing you!

Planning for this landmark joint event is now complete. It won’t be a typical model railway experience; rather it’s going to focus - in a number of specific areas - on development of skills for finescale modelling. More than that, we aim to provide inspiration, learning and encouragement. And, of course, enjoyment and entertainment!

DEMONSTRATIONS

Computer-Aided Technologies

• Grant Alderson & Peter Warren                From Photograph to Model
  • Jonathan Buckie                                          Laser Cutting
  • Rod Cameron                                               The Silhouette Cutter
  • Eric Penn                                                       CAD for Etching
  • Mark Tatlow                                                  3D Printing

Electronics and Control 

• Steve Carter                                                  ‘Hands-on’ Kit Assembly
  • John McAleely                                              DCC and CBUS
  • Keith Norgrove                                             The Practical Approach
  • Bankside Austerity in 1951                        Application to a Small Layout

Landscape and Architecture                   

• John Farmer                                                 Trees & Ground Cover
  • Dave Hawkins                                              Townscape
  • Geoff Kent                                                     Architecture in Plastic
  • John McRea                                                 Uses of Teddy Bear Fur                                                               

Machine Shop                                         

• Mick Moore & Vincent Worthington          Uses of Machine Tools
  • Brian Self                                                       Basic Turning and Milling

Permanent Way

• Howard Bolton                                             Using Functional Chairs
  • Tim Peacock                                                 Templot
  • Tony Sullivan                                               Comparative Techniques

The Trains                                

• Mike Ainsworth                                            Sprung & Compensated Chassis
  • Keith Bradbury                                             Carriages
  • John Chambers                                           Freight Stock
  • Pete Hill                                                         RTR Conversions
  • Roy Jackson                                                 Locomotives for Retford
  • Tim Venton                                                   Locomotive Clinic
  • Test Tracks                                                   EM and P4

Several demonstrators will be offering ‘hands-on’ tuition, so here’s your chance to have a go!

TALKS

Two short talks, each lasting around 30 minutes:

• 11.30am                  Martin Goodall                         An Artistic Approach to Modelling
  • 2.00pm                    Jim Summers                           The Evolution of Burntisland 1883

LAYOUTS

Complementing the demonstrations, a selection of inspirational layouts:

• Lower Exbury           P4            Alison Barker
  • Middle Peak             EM           Martyn Harrison & Graham Hudson     (winner of EMGS Layout Challenge 2015)
  • The Mill                     EM           Chris Rogers & Jason Thomas
  • Westcliff                     EM           Richard Butler

GETTING THERE

By train – Tolworth is the nearest station, served from Waterloo.

By bus – Service 418 (Kingston to Epsom, passing Tolworth station) stops outside the church. Bus pass, Oyster or contactless payment only – no cash!

During the morning, there will be cars meeting each train from London, offering free transport to the venue. A return service will be offered at the end of the day.

By car – there is both on-site and on-street parking,

Further travel details can be found on www.emgs.org or www.scalefour.org

Thanks for posting this Dave. It is unfortunate that it is so far down South that members of both societies in the North would find it difficult and expensive to attend.

In fact as far as EMGS members are concerned there was a lot of mumblings last year about the 60th anniversary not being celebrated or hardly even mentioned in 2015 then came news of this joint celebration with the S4 Society in 2016 and the fact that it was to be a 'free do' down South giving more ammo to those that say the EMGS do very little for those up North. I personally know of three members who have recently let their membership lapse sighting that they get nothing out of the Society, okay they may not have put much 'into' the EMGS but I have heard this comment from quite a number of Northern members recently.

For the past few years I was helping to run the EMGS stand at some Scottish shows and the amount of interest was minimal with members and ex-members all saying they can model in EM or S4 without the help of any society. The S4 Society do have a few good groups north of the border and S4 North and EXPO EM North do a great job of promoting 'finescale modelling' but how many office bearers or members from down south travel to these shows when others from Scotland are expected to travel even further to get to these shows. As someone said to me last year at Glasgow, 'why would I want to join, it's all down around London', I'm sorry but this event just adds to that impression. There was a recent report from the EMGS about declining membership, I wonder how many lapsed members were in the Northern part of the UK.

The late Chris Kedgley always had a good hello for people who like us travelled a distance to visit an event and I'm sure he would have said something about this event being more in the middle of the membership as far as the UK is concerned.

Dave Franks

EMGS member since 1985

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your comments. I believe these events are ongoing and similar ones will be held in different parts of the country.

In 2014, members of the Epsom & Ewell MRC hosted the Scalefour Society AGM.  They enjoyed this so much (!) that they offered to organise the venue and stewarding for this event. I think the societies may well have taken the view that a team of willing volunteers was a opportunity to make the most of.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thanks for posting this Dave. It is unfortunate that it is so far down South that members of both societies in the North would find it difficult and expensive to attend.

In fact as far as EMGS members are concerned there was a lot of mumblings last year about the 60th anniversary not being celebrated or hardly even mentioned in 2015 then came news of this joint celebration with the S4 Society in 2016 and the fact that it was to be a 'free do' down South giving more ammo to those that say the EMGS do very little for those up North. I personally know of three members who have recently let their membership lapse sighting that they get nothing out of the Society, okay they may not have put much 'into' the EMGS but I have heard this comment from quite a number of Northern members recently.

So when did either Society turn down your offer to organise of their behalf something similar for Scotland?

Looking at that list of demo's, a fair number are from the local SW London clubs (and a fair number model mostly in 7mm) and I doubt there is all that much 'Central' society organisation for this, its local members putting something low-cost together - as they did last year in a church hall in Byfleet . I'd love to be involved, but alas instead of being less that 10 miles away, I'm doing a railtour that takes me to Cornwall for the day.

Jon

• 1 month later...

The CAD for Etching demo will be interesting. Hope I can get down there, as it's on a Saturday.....

That is one of 2 or 3 that really appealed to me.

Having only just seen this and never heard of it before I am now a little peeved at having already made other arrangements for the 12th.

Are there any plans to repeat some of these at some other shows? Or perhaps film/utube some parts to make the information/lessons more accessible to a wider audience. There is an awful lot of that content that will appeal well beyond the EM or S4 membership.

My congratulations in putting such a show together but for me <3weeks notice is of little use. Hope it goes well - I'm sure it will.

• RMweb Gold

I would love to attend this show but like mentioned by others it's just to far to travel, I joined the emgs last year and although it's seems quite friendly I don't get much out of it, the website being the thing I'm most disappointed with.

Cheers

That is one of 2 or 3 that really appealed to me.

Having only just seen this and never heard of it before....

That's unfortunate - the publicity for it has been around since at least the start of the year.

I really do need to see the CAD demo, as I understand the principles but have real difficulty with the "mechanics" which means that I struggle with AutoCAD'05. I wonder what CAD package the demonstrator will be using.....?

• RMweb Gold

Just a personal comment.

I "get nothing" from membership of a few societies I'm in, apart from the magazines, there is very little to "get" from a society, mostly I find its the camaraderie and it's the "we're all in this together" aspect that gives me the satisfaction of belonging.

We need to put more in to get more out, even if that only means attending exhibitions like this one, it's a show of support from the membership, and that's what societies are all about.

Mike.

the publicity for it has been around since at least the start of the year.

Not where I was for the start of the year. Publicity is only any good if it actually reaches its target audience.

I'm not a member of the society any more and don't even have a layout in EM. But that does not mean that I do not support the expo EM as a first rate exhibition. (The same applies to S4 society and its exhibitions. I remain a member of O Guild, but sometimes wonder why.

You do not have to be a member of a society to be a railway modeller or to support their shows (thankfully). The camaraderie is only of any use if you take part (or wish to) and for me that is not sufficient reason to join or visit. I don't mind paying extra at the door for the privilege of being able to be there.

This skills day is a great idea and I hope it is well attended/oversubscibed so that it becomes a regular feature.

At any one time some of the target audience will be, for reasons of their own making, out of range.

You can't blame the Societies in question for that, although in today's "it's somebody else's fault" society it would be seem to be the usual attitude.

What we get out of membership of any voluntary Society depends as much on each individual member, as much as the ethos of the Society, it's objectives and and it's management by the committee.

I am member of five club/societies and find that that three are really worthwhile, the other two increasingly less so. The main difference is the communication between the committee and membership. Where it is not especially good, then there is an increasing sense of poor value of membership, despite access to the information, archives, etc. that each has.

At any one time some of the target audience will be, for reasons of their own making, out of range.

You can't blame the Societies in question for that

I wasn't, but now you mention it ...

The choice of location has to be made and I'm not sure how this is done. Also the date is inconvenient (that is my problem and not the organisers) but is probably more a compromise of when the "demonstrators" are available. These things always have to be a compromise. I am fully supportive of the event despite the winge of missing it. I think that most of us would be.

As for membership of clubs, that is a whole new can of worms - and one that has been discussed on here before.

• RMweb Premium

You can't blame the Societies in question for that, although in today's "it's somebody else's fault" society it would be seem to be the usual attitude.

What we get out of membership of any voluntary Society depends as much on each individual member, as much as the ethos of the Society, it's objectives and and it's management by the committee.

The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association holds its Annual show and AGM at Burton upon Trent as most of the organising group are from the local area. For many years this event was in Nottingham (again as the organisers were nearby) but there were complaints from those 'down south' that the East Midlands was too far north and so one year we moved to Bletchley and guess what - those from the north just travelled for another hour and those from the south still didn't bother - there was no change in the number of visitors and the same familiar faces were still there. Since our group took over, the show has been in Derby, Loughborough and now Burton. There are still rumblings from some that we should move further south but that will only happen if someone is prepared to put the time in to organise it.

• 2 weeks later...

It was an excellent day..I picked up lots of tips.
In particular, as a moderately experienced use of 2D Cad I took Grant Alderson's 15min crash course on the 3D use of SketchUp Make which is a free 3D drawing and visualisation program and how to import a photo towards producing a cad file.

I had found it hard going trying to get started before but his kickstart has paid off already....I have imported a photo of a building for my new model and have the basic shape defined in TurboCad ready for output as drawing for manual cutting or export to modern electric cutters like Die cutter or laser machine.

The missing link in Grant's invaluable demo was how to export a.dxf or .dwg for other Cad programs. The SketchUp Make freebie doesn't allow this, you are supposed to buy the pro version for £500.
I have found an addon that provides output from SketchUp Make as .dxf for most Cad programs or .stl for 3D printers etc.
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl
It is small and free, the downloaded file is put into /Sketchup16/shipped extensions. Restart SketchUp and the export file options have the new options. The .dxf works fine for me in Turbocad 16 which cost me a whole £8 a few years ago.

In particular, as a moderately experienced use of 2D Cad I took Grant Alderson's 15min crash course on the 3D use of SketchUp Make which is a free 3D drawing and visualisation program and how to import a photo towards producing a cad file.

I had found it hard going trying to get started before but his kickstart has paid off already.......

I came out of the CAD for Etching demo little wiser than when I went in. It seems that Corel Draw X7 as used by the demonstrator is easier to use than AutoCAD....

I have to agree, and thanks, Paul, for the link to the export software.

I also thought Martin Goodall's talk on Artistic Layout Design was interesting. He claimed that Iain Rice's book Layout Design published by Haynes was the best available, but at £350 a copy on Amazon I could probably get Iain to personally do all the work for less. I do know it can be bought for less, but can anyone tell me whether it is worth tracking down? I have both his Wild Swan books on the subject and most of his articles in the UK modelling press, as well as Barry Norman's book. It might be nice to have all his wisdom in one volume, but are there any other benefits?

• RMweb Premium

He claimed that Iain Rice's book Layout Design published by Haynes was the best available, but at £350 a copy on Amazon I could probably get Iain to personally do all the work for less. I do know it can be bought for less, but can anyone tell me whether it is worth tracking down? I have both his Wild Swan books on the subject and most of his articles in the UK modelling press, as well as Barry Norman's book. It might be nice to have all his wisdom in one volume, but are there any other benefits?

I like it a lot, but to be honest there is little new content that wasn't covered (to some extent) in An Approach to Model Railway Design (Wild Swan) and Designs For Urban Layouts (Atlantic). IMHO it's worth every penny of the cover price (£25), but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

It's interesting to see how some of Iain's ideas/plans have evolved (and how little some have changed) and convenient to have them collectively in one handback volume.

i found this to be a most worthwhile event.  My only regret is that I did not get to see more of the demonstrators but it must be a measure of the event's success that at most tables there was a constant procession of clients and some queues.  I would have liked to attend Martin Goodall's talk but I spotted an opportunity to consult the expert that I most wanted to consult and thought it best to grab it!

It will be interesting to see what happens next.   I hope that both Societies will feel encouraged to present more Skills Days.  No-one, in my view, is too old to learn.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

There could have been a bit more room at some of the demos, I couldn't get anywhere near the machine demos and I dipped out on the Sketchup demo as the demonstrator was mostly involved in a discussion on making videos about using the software, although I did glean some useful info. Another highly sought after demo was on using the Cameo cutter.

It was a cracking day, and as always, if you think it's too far away, get together with a few mates and organise one yourself. There might even be some funds to help you set it up from the societies, if you ask nicely.

Archived