Coal trains on the District Line

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

The current edition of Backtrack (Feb 2016) has an article 'Coals to Kensington' about the operation of coal trains to the depot at Kensington. An interesting scenario for a model BR (MR) Jinty's operating coal trains over the electrified lines.

Edited by PhilJ W

There's been some lengthy discussions on this topic on the District Dave site.

Don't forget there was also an LMS coal depot at High Street Kensington which closed around the same time. there is now a hotel on the site.

Edited by roythebus

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it possible that I have a memory of a coal truck parked against the buffers at Baker Street?   or am I remembering the same thing at Liverpool Street Main line buffers, deep under the hotel?  I must be getting old . . . .

This could well be the 'Ash train' for the boiler waste from Chiltern Court before they went over to other fuels. These trains were usually hauled by the Metropolitan Bo-Bo's.

• 5 years later...

Just another bit of random information regarding the district line coal trains descending towards Hammersmith:

There was a short length of isolated conductor rail in the Ravenscourt Park area EB, electric trains would put a voltage on this bit of conductor rail and if the section ahead was clear would get a green signal, a steam train would not be able to energise this section of conductor rail and consequently be given a yellow signal. This info was gained during the early 1970s when I was a teenager on LTE and was told this by an older employee.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3