Stanier 3P 2-6-2T

• RMweb Premium

So after 3 years I have finally got round to finishing the drawing, although having said that the handrail on the smokebox door is missing which I've only just noticed. The drawing does not include the strengthening strip which some got on the rear of the bunker in BR days. 

Duncan

262676.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 7 months later...

So...  more thread resurrection.  :)

I am hoping to model Bourneville and its shed in the late pre-nationalisation period.  Between Saltley and Bourneville, they had 8 of the 3Ps on shed - I guess they could handle the light suburban duties from North of the Lickey up to Birmingham.

I have 3D CAD software, and access to rapid prototyping machines.  I could try to model this up and do a 3D print for everything above the footplate?  Resolution is getting better and better all the time...  I'd be willing to give it a go and see what detail comes out looking right.  I'm sure there are detailed castings that could be begged, borrowed and stolen to better finish it if required. 

Mark.

** Additional:  We have at least one resident 3D printing expert - @Knuckles is Sparkshot creations...  maybe he can help?  :D

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
Grammar/comprehension. // Added Knuckles/Sparkshot reference.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Our etched one was due out next month but building the 7mm version has thrown up so many modifications (and the odd significant mistake) that a lot more re-design is needed. Details of the 7mm version on my workshop thread, the 4mm one is in the Judith Edge kits thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

So...  more thread resurrection.  :)

I am hoping to model Bourneville and its shed in the late pre-nationalisation period.  Between Saltley and Bourneville, they had 8 of the 3Ps on shed - I guess they could handle the light suburban duties from North of the Lickey up to Birmingham.

I have 3D CAD software, and access to rapid prototyping machines.  I could try to model this up and do a 3D print for everything above the footplate?  Resolution is getting better and better all the time...  I'd be willing to give it a go and see what detail comes out looking right.  I'm sure there are detailed castings that could be begged, borrowed and stolen to better finish it if required. 

Mark.

** Additional:  We have at least one resident 3D printing expert - @Knuckles is Sparkshot creations...  maybe he can help?  :D

At risk of being howled down for 'genericism', I had looked at the Bachmann standard 3 82xxx chassis as a possible rtr powerplant under a whitemetal body. I think Ben Alder of this parish used this chassis under a Nu-Cast body, I have a spare 82xxx waiting to be a donor but the Nu-Cast kits go for silly money on EBay, so I will watch progress with interest.

` I believe Alan Gibson has some castings for boiler fittings, chimney etc?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, 45568 said:

At risk of being howled down for 'genericism', I had looked at the Bachmann standard 3 82xxx chassis as a possible rtr powerplant

Sounds alright to me.  I'm a rather more pragmatic modeller.  I believe anyone who models in OO has a get out of jail free card anyhow.  I'd dearly love to go full bore P4 on a garden railway, but would you like to solder up that much track?  I'd have an embolism, I'm not that patient.  :D

12 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Our etched one was due out next month but building the 7mm version has thrown up so many modifications (and the odd significant mistake) that a lot more re-design is needed. Details of the 7mm version on my workshop thread, the 4mm one is in the Judith Edge kits thread. 

Excellent, thank you.  :)

I think a Judith Edge kit would be a way to go.  If someone ( @Blandford1969? ) would send me a hi-res photo of the drawings, I'll have a go in CAD for a DLP printer, but I suspect it would not be a patch on Michael's work.

Edited by FoxUnpopuli

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Sounds alright to me.  I'm a rather more pragmatic modeller.  I believe anyone who models in OO has a get out of jail free card anyhow.  I'd dearly love to go full bore P4 on a garden railway, but would you like to solder up that much track?  I'd have an embolism, I'm not that patient.  :D

Excellent, thank you.  :)

I think a Judith Edge kit would be a way to go.  If someone ( @Blandford1969? ) would send me a hi-res photo of the drawings, I'll have a go in CAD for a DLP printer, but I suspect it would not be a patch on Michael's work.

I'll do a scan, what file size do you need? - It wont be till Sunday though due to pressure of work and driving on the SVR on Saturday 

On 23/10/2019 at 20:55, Blandford1969 said:

I'll do a scan, what file size do you need? - It wont be till Sunday though due to pressure of work and driving on the SVR on Saturday 

Just enough so it's clear - probably 200dpi would do.  300dpi better. 

Ahhh, I remember the days when I volunteered on the SVR...  that would be, er...  nearly thirty years ago now.  Scary.

• 2 months later...

Stanier3PWIP.png.a2cdae8ac6542821b636985f327af8c4.png

Not exactly perfectly accurate, but a fun exercise.  The frame outline is simply blocked in at the moment, and lots to do as you can see.  I have purchased some books over the Christmas period with a few 3P images in, so I shall try to figure out some of the 'character' of the loco that I may have missed. 

Impossible without it, Duncan - the scan was cut into parts, squared up in Inkscape, and imported into sketch planes in the CAD programme, allowing me to sketch the construction lines over it.  It's worked pretty well!

CAD modelling (like real modelling) is one of those tasks which you start and then sucks hours away enjoyably.  As I've just bought a house which is roughly equivalent to that from 'The Money Pit', modelling time of any sort is in short supply!  Christmas was good and honourable Father and I discussed many things for getting some kitbuilding started - but I sneaked in a bit of this too.

Couple of questions for those that "know"... 

1. What's the profile of the steam chest pipework?  My guess is it's not circular...?

2. The dome appears to be flat topped, but on an angle parallel with the boiler taper - is this so?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mark

Really like the way the scan is developing....sorry if I've missed is it for eventual realisation into an available model via 3D scanning or is the cad an end in itself .... I would really like a small boilered version of this loco. I had hoped the branchlines / SE one based on nu cast would have been produced...

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 46256 said:

Hello Mark

Really like the way the scan is developing....sorry if I've missed is it for eventual realisation into an available model via 3D scanning or is the cad an end in itself .... I would really like a small boilered version of this loco. I had hoped the branchlines / SE one based on nu cast would have been produced...

best wishes Brian

Michael Edge is developing an etched one in 4mm. One is being built over the road by PAD

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 46256 said:

Hello Mark

best wishes Brian

It is built such that it can be exported to a resin printer which I am considering purchasing.  The learning curve on actually producing viable models from that is almost vertical, so I wouldn't wait around for me!

Also, it is built with only a vague passing resemblance to a drawing - it has nowhere near the in-depth research applied that Michael's kit has.  I will be ordering one for sure.  Another vertical learning curve to climb - but my father is on these journeys with me also, and we've been busy making axle alignment jigs and  rolling roads - the design for which is half-way to first assembly and test.

My advice is to put an order in with Michael for a Judith Edge version.  :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The 4mm one is finished now, there will be more on the Judith Edge thread later.

Sounds promising! I had readjusted my procurement activities for this to be likely at Scaleforum rather than Scalefour North or Railex...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So time has moved on. The workbook on the tanks has been updated now to include details on the strengthening strips added to the bunker rear. There are now over 170 lines of data in this. 

Also I have put together a gallery on Flickr of Stanier 2-6-2 images (though oddly could not add my own)

Stanier 2-6-2 gallery (96 images at present)

hope it helps

Duncan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Duncan for putting these pictures up on Flicker, it also makes clearer the differences not yet mentioned, the first picture 40165 and others show the fact that more than couple had Fowler pony wheels as opposed to Stanier and mostly on the front truck though a couple had them on the rear too or only....

A few locos pictured still had the larger buffer heads fitted, check 40202 18'' against the standard 16'' on 40085. I thought later builds had16'' heads though.

A number of other locos had 18'' buffer heads when built, Ivatt class 2 tanks though Ivatt 2-6-0 and Royal Scots on the front only, Fowler 3Ps and a few odd other locos.

Like the 3P with the BR oval buffers further down the page as well....

Dave Franks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, davefrk said:

Thanks Duncan for putting these pictures up on Flicker, it also makes clearer the differences not yet mentioned, the first picture 40165 and others show the fact that more than couple had Fowler pony wheels as opposed to Stanier and mostly on the front truck though a couple had them on the rear too or only....

A few locos pictured still had the larger buffer heads fitted, check 40202 18'' against the standard 16'' on 40085. I thought later builds had16'' heads though.

A number of other locos had 18'' buffer heads when built, Ivatt class 2 tanks though Ivatt 2-6-0 and Royal Scots on the front only, Fowler 3Ps and a few odd other locos.

Like the 3P with the BR oval buffers further down the page as well....

Dave Franks.

Your welcome Dave, I had totally missed the buffers, but now you say there it is. It just goes to show how important photos are to any project and hopefully this the gallery and workbook will help. At the moment I don't plan on adding buffer size to the sheet, but if that changes will re-post it. As you can imagine there has probably over the time been weeks of work gone into this. 

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 1