Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if there had been some pre-grouping cattle wagons produced, the LNER version can be got from Parkside already. Mind you Oxford could have produced the banana shaped version as a change!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I hope Oxford will do the 10' wheelbase version of this as few (if any) of the distortion-prone 9' ones made it into BR ownership.

I note that the BR one pictured carries XP branding, so it should be 10'. If they are smart, the tooling will allow for either.

Typically, I'm on the final lap of converting a Parkside one - Just the roof and transfers left to do.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It would be nice if there had been some pre-grouping cattle wagons produced, the LNER version can be got from Parkside already. Mind you Oxford could have produced the banana shaped version as a change!

Andy G

Following the Wishlists from last year and seeing that LBSCR, SECR and LSWR wagons were appearing near the top of the lists for pre-1948 wagons, I am sure we will. I wouldn't say no to any pre-grouping wagons now...

I hope Oxford will do the 10' wheelbase version of this as few (if any) of the distortion-prone 9' ones made it into BR ownership.

I note that the BR one pictured carries XP branding, so it should be 10'. If they are smart, the tooling will allow for either.

Typically, I'm on the final lap of converting a Parkside one - Just the roof and transfers left to do.

John

I've dropped an email to Oxford Rail enquring on the 10ft wheelbase version as I hope this will be a future annoucement.

Garethp8873.

It's a shame that they've chosen to do something already available from Parkside Dundas when they could have chosen something from the Coopercraft range - after all the Dean Goods is going to need something to pull.......

• Like 1

It's a shame that they've chosen to do something already available from Parkside Dundas when they could have chosen something from the Coopercraft range - after all the Dean Goods is going to need something to pull.......

But they have to be put together, painted and numbered. Not everyone has that skill, patience or time. 

But they have to be put together, painted and numbered. Not everyone has that skill, patience or time.

But, the point is that they ARE available - there are plenty of things that aren't, even if you take into account kits that have been produced in the past which might (or might not now be available via eBay).

Ok, I agree with your points about building/ painting etc, but I was brought up on Airfix kits, and Parkside kits (most of them) are just as easy - perhaps I'm lucky in that one of my local model shops (there are two!) has the full range of these, plus Cambrian and Ratio.

• Like 2

The Parkside kit is one of the originals, and not at all up to their current standards, but can be made into an acceptable model - it's not surprising that they haven't updated it, given the attrition rate of duplications that they have been subject to these last few years.

• RMweb Premium

The LNER cattle wagon is quite a sensible choice for Oxford Rail really, with Bachmann offering GWR and LMS liveried cattle wagons and Hornby announcing detailed SR cattle wagon designs for 2016.

Going to be good to see examples from the Big 4 available RTR.

• RMweb Gold

John

A little nugget in the editorial about Oxford Rail's announcements fro today's MRE Mag:

" Both cattle vans will include certain detail variations denoting the period of operation ".

Hopefully, that will cover my earlier concerns.

Also, Hatton's now have the planned models in their 'Recent Additions' section with prices. Cattle wagons £10.50, LNER 6-planks £9.50.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

A little nugget in the editorial about Oxford Rail's announcements fro today's MRE Mag:

" Both cattle vans will include certain detail variations denoting the period of operation ".

Hopefully, that will cover my earlier concerns.

Also, Hatton's now have the planned models in their 'Recent Additions' section with prices. Cattle wagons £10.50, LNER 6-planks £9.50.  

John

£10.50  :)  :imsohappy:

• Like 1

A bit OT,but the LMS cattle wagon is still missing from the R-T-R ranges - the existing Bachmann model being an original Mainline one, with far too heavy body mouldings, an incorrect wheelbase and chassis and all in all not up to current standards. Parkside have recently brought out a nice kit of the earliest LMS variation, but there is scope for the later flush sided ones to be tackled by one manufacturer or another.

A bit OT,but the LMS cattle wagon is still missing from the R-T-R ranges - the existing Bachmann model being an original Mainline one, with far too heavy body mouldings, an incorrect wheelbase and chassis and all in all not up to current standards. Parkside have recently brought out a nice kit of the earliest LMS variation, but there is scope for the later flush sided ones to be tackled by one manufacturer or another.

I wouldn't call it over the top at all Ben. I'd welcome Oxford or one of the others doing the later LMS D1840 or the D1944. Also by doing the D1944 you can kill two birds with one stone as the model would also represent the BR version 1/350 built in 1949. A good reason to do a CAD of SVR's BR 891054 as well...!!

6790335363_21a59c892e_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is also no accurate GWR cattle van. The Bachmann offering is just a re-liveried BR standard and although not a million miles out it is still overlength like the BR equivalents.

With the Coopercraft kit (if you can get it) only covering the early W1/W5 diagram there is considerable scope for a new model or kit here as well.

I wouldn't call it over the top at all Ben. I'd welcome Oxford or one of the others doing the later LMS D1840 or the D1944. Also by doing the D1944 you can kill two birds with one stone as the model would also represent the BR version 1/350 built in 1949. A good reason to do a CAD of SVR's BR 891054 as well...!!

6790335363_21a59c892e_b.jpg

OT = off topic, not over-the-top.

The LMS and BR versions of the above cattle wagon had different axleguards.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

An LNER horse box would be welcome too :P

Yes, but PLEASE the Diagram 9 rather than the Diagram 5 already available as a kit of modern design (unlike the Cattle wagon which is a bit long in the tooth).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Well I can certainly say this had me drooling when I saw it today. Does it look like it has a 9 or 10ft wheelbase though? Cannot tell at the angle the photo has been took....

xcowvan.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VKgipuWYcD.jpg

That one looks like 9' - the distance between the end of the brake lever and the back of the headstock gives it away.

However, it looks as if they might do both (see my post #15).

John

• RMweb Premium

The overwhelming impression from the photo at post 23 is how really clear and sharp the moulding is. One gets the feeling OD has learnt from its first railway models, and is really producing first class models. The same goes for the Dean goods. Am looking forward to this.

John