Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

If I read it correctly a Dapol warrantly is invalidated if you fit a decoder, but not if you lightly weather a loco!

Haven't read through the Oxford one yet (It should come with the loco)

Keith

I've just looked at mine - nothing on warranty terms on the blurb with the Oxford Rail Dean Goods. 

Would you believe it? The little s*d is running perfectly ok now! I intend to oil the motion parts, as recommended by Oxford today, and see how we get on. Meanwhile, it's running around the layout, until I'm sure it's OK.

Thanks to melmerby and SimonMW for their kind advice and support.

• Like 1

Status report: removed body, checked motor/gears/flywheel aligned OK. Found several pickups that weren't - mostly on tender. Tiny amounts of oil applied, as per instructions. Tested: ran OK without body, then reassembled. Gave wheels a wipe over (although they appeared to be quite clean), then cleaned track. Put on track, ran about  6ft OK, then stalled. Threw plastic box wrapper at it*, derailing it. Re railed it, turned on the juice - it ran sweetly for an hour - then I stopped, had a lie down in a darkened room, then lunch.

It now works fine (for the moment......!).

* Don't try this at home.

• Like 1

As I posted earlier, I have a similar problem with one I bought from Jumblies.  I only paid £63, and Jumblies can only offer a refund not a swap, so I am determined to get to the bottom of the slow running problem.

If I remove the chassis keep-plate and the body there is nothing obviously wrong with any of the parts and the pickups are all good, and there is no over-greasing. With the keep-plate back in place, but with coupling rods removed, and the loco on the track, the motor will turn over the rear wheels at a *very* slow speed with no hesitation - about 1 rev of the motor per second. The loco won’t move but the rear wheels turn on the spot perfectly. So there is nothing wrong with motor, gears or pickups. It’s only with the rods back on that the sticking occurs, and it is only in one spot per revolution. My suspicion is either that the wheels are not quite quartered right or that the coupling rods are not quite drilled right. The centre hole in the rods is slightly oval but I’m guessing that is deliberate.

I spoke to Oxford Rails' technical dept on the phone, but they are not aware of any specific problem with the Dean Goods. I have emailed them this morning asking if they can send a couple of sets of coupling rods for me to try. If that doesn't work I'll start opening out the holes in one of the sets.  

Edited by scratcher

New set of wheels and coupling rods received from Oxford Rail. They initially seemed to improve the running in the forward direction but not the reverse, but with more running the sticking in both directions was still evident. So reluctantly I am going to return the model to Jumblies for a refund. 

I had to send 3 back before I got one that runs reasonably, all 4 have had missing detail parts, the tiny hook by the the front left buffer (2),missing the rear half of the pipework that runs alongside the running board (3), l/h brake rod (1), fallen out tender buffer (1). 2 were particularly poor runners, I phoned Oxford and was told they had probs with some the early ones which was down to shorting on the chassis halves, now cured by painting the previously bare metal surfaces. I have to say that imo they are not particularly sprightly runners compared to say, a Hornby Q1. It seems to run out of puff at half power on my controller but reaches a reasonable speed pulling 3 Hornby Mk1'sl, the speed range is basically covered by a quarter turn on the controller, the remaining 3 quarters give no more rpm from the motor. I was tempted to return it but it's such a nice looking well detailed model and was only £80 that I'll keep it, but am a bit wary of any future Oxford purchases.

Edited by PanzerJohn

• RMweb Premium

Mine, after running fine for a week, suddenly came to a stop and tripped the DCC system.

Trips each time I tried it afterwards, without moving.

It has a Lenz decoder fitted so I won't be very happy if it's fried that.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above.

Decoder is totally fried.

I replaced it with a blanking plug and tested the loco on DC on a bench power supply.

It shows that as the wheels rotate there is a complete short at certain points in the rotation. A bit of a strange fault

It'll have to go back whence it came.

Keith

Further to the above.

I replaced it with a blanking plug and tested the loco on DC on a bench power supply.

It shows that as the wheels rotate there is a complete short at certain points in the rotation. A bit of a strange fault

It'll have to go back whence it came.

Keith

Your problem may be the prob Oxford told me ref my previous post.

I had to send 3 back before I got one that runs reasonably, all 4 have had missing detail parts, the tiny hook by the the front left buffer (2),missing the rear half of the pipework that runs alongside the running board (3), l/h brake rod (1), fallen out tender buffer (1). 2 were particularly poor runners, I phoned Oxford and was told they had probs with some the early ones which was down to shorting on the chassis halves, now cured by painting the previously bare metal surfaces. I have to say that imo they are not particularly sprightly runners compared to say, a Hornby Q1. It seems to run out of puff at half power on my controller but reaches a reasonable speed pulling 3 Hornby Mk1'sl, the speed range is basically covered by a quarter turn on the controller, the remaining 3 quarters give no more rpm from the motor. I was tempted to return it but it's such a nice looking well detailed model and was only £80 that I'll keep it, but am a bit wary of any future Oxford purchases.

Having done some more research I can say the missing bit of pipework along the RH footplate edge (Hanging plate) is not missing at all. That pipe is the ATC conduit which, at the point it stops, should go through the footplate and up the front of the cab into the control gear in the cab, 

Unfortunately Oxford Rail has missed a bit of pipe out but not the bit along the edge of the footplate.  I understand that locos were only fitted with ATC after 1930/1 so any loco intended to be prior to that date needs the pipework removed entirely. This would include 2309 and the WW1 variant of course. 

Hope the information is of some help to someone in case they think their loco is missing some ATC conduit.

• Like 1

Having done some more research I can say the missing bit of pipework along the RH footplate edge (Hanging plate) is not missing at all. That pipe is the ATC conduit which, at the point it stops, should go through the footplate and up the front of the cab into the control gear in the cab, 

Unfortunately Oxford Rail has missed a bit of pipe out but not the bit along the edge of the footplate.  I understand that locos were only fitted with ATC after 1930/1 so any loco intended to be prior to that date needs the pipework removed entirely. This would include 2309 and the WW1 variant of course. 

Hope the information is of some help to someone in case they think their loco is missing some ATC conduit.

The weird thing is that one of the locos had complete pipework on BOTH sides!, I wonder if they have a little man at the factory with a Stanley knife cutting them down and he got that one wrong!

• RMweb Premium

Your problem may be the prob Oxford told me ref my previous post.

I've got my return of my faulty one being organised so It'll soon be on it's way back for hopefully a replacement good one.

I don't suppose I'll get the £20 for a new decoder!

Keith

How does that happen ? I thought you only burnt out decoders if you wired it up incorrectly.

How does that happen ? I thought you only burnt out decoders if you wired it up incorrectly.

If there is a fault in the loco's wiring it can fry a decoder even if all you have done is plug it into an 8-pin socket and place it on the track. Always pays to check the loco first on DC, then pull out the blanking plug and check for isolation between motor and track. I had a Hornby Castle with faulty wiring in the 8-pin socket... ran fine on DC, plugged a decoder in and it fried it. I should have checked the wiring first. Shouldn't have HAD to, but should have anyway. 

Edited by SimonMW

The weird thing is that one of the locos had complete pipework on BOTH sides!, I wonder if they have a little man at the factory with a Stanley knife cutting them down and he got that one wrong!

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

The pipe running the whole length of the loco on the left hand side of the footplate is the vacuum pipe.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

The pipe running the whole length of the loco on the left hand side of the footplate is the vacuum pipe.

On the left is the vacuum pipe and on the right is the steam heating pipe on a Dean Goods.  The steam heating connections were often removed in the summer.

• RMweb Premium

It was OK on DC and it was OK on DCC for a short while. But then it stopped, tripping the system having blown the motor drive on the decoder.

Odd really as I thought Lenz had motor protection circuit that stopped that sort of thing from happening:

"Capacity and protection equipment

The decoder is protected against overloading, short circuits and overheating. In case of a fault, the corresponding bit is set in CV30 which will state the type of fault which has occured.

This bit can be deleted via programming."

If you put the decoder on a programming track it will read it's CVs and you can program it. Any attempt to drive a motor trips the system.

Keith

On the left is the vacuum pipe and on the right is the steam heating pipe on a Dean Goods.  The steam heating connections were often removed in the summer.

The pipe on the right hand side of the Oxford model is the ATC as the Oxford model isn't fitted with front steam heat connections and pipework. Very few Deans Goods were so fitted only those which were used for passenger traffic.

Locos in France did in some cases have a small diameter pipe along the full length of the right hand side but this was for the air brake equipment that they were fitted with. The ATC gear having been removed before entering military service in WW2.

• Like 1

the speed range is basically covered by a quarter turn on the controller, the remaining 3 quarters give no more rpm from the motor. I was tempted to return it but it's such a nice looking well detailed model and was only £80 that I'll keep it, but am a bit wary of any future Oxford purchases.

The mechanical nature of electric motors and gearboxes means that this should not happen. Only an integrated circuit could cause that and there would have to be some faulty logic somewhere. Either on the locos PCB or the controller.

Normally if you add more juice to a motor and the speed cannot increase then it can only get hot and eventually you would see it burn out - unless something is kicking in to restrict power to the motor in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

A look at the Oxford Rail GWR Class 2301 ‘Dean Goods’ 0-6-0 smart British Railway Early Black Livery, fitted with DCC Sound. Available for just under £190, this model comes pre-fitted with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 Decoder and Speaker, equipped with sound from Coastal DCC.

In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below), with the model hauling a short mixed goods train.

Sound Functions List;

F1 Sound on/off

F2 Whistle

F3 POP

F4 Drains

F5 Wheel Squeal

F6 Coupling

F7 Right Of Way Whistle (On) /Response (Off)

F8 Volume

F9 Inertia Off/On

F10 Watering

F11 Coal Shovelling

F12 Aux 2

F13 Safety Valves

F14 Injector

F15 Reverser

F16 Blower

F17 Brake Squeal

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJHja_9Rr8