Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

This is an analogue mouse::yes:

yellow-necked-mouse-on-ground-mikelane45

Any news from Oxford yet?

Yes and it was not even slightly helpful. Very poor customer service in my opinion and a second mail explaining that I still needed help remains unanswered. First and last Oxford rail dcc sound product I buy. 

Edited by Chrisr40

On 30/08/2019 at 04:21, Chrisr40 said:

Yes and it was not even slightly helpful. Very poor customer service in my opinion and a second mail explaining that I still needed help remains unanswered. First and last Oxford rail dcc sound product I buy. 

Chris,

you have my sympathy to have suffered all this as I and many others have. 20:20 hindsight is little comfort but if I can suggest for the future something constructive.

There are 84 pages on this topic with very good reason. The quality of many recent smaller RTR releases has been problematic whenever new chassis design or changes have been involved, think DJM 48xx, Hornby 48xx Dean Goods etc. All these have been extensively documented here and RMWeb is a fabulous resource to find these issues. It does take time but research around new releases will pay off.

FWIW the alerts here on the Dean Goods helped me locate an excellent quiet running Sound version. It took a lot of effort and a most helpful customer oriented supplier but I did it. See my post on p80 18 Dec 2018 with some video.

Then this June we learnt of coreless motors shorting out, zapping chips. That was it for me, my OR Dean now is relegated to occasional light duties, its expensive ESU Sound chip now safely installed into my Collett Goods.

As Melmerby noted well over a year ago.......

"Reading all that has gone before, it seems that Oxford have again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory"

Edited by BWsTrains
correction
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I posted to this thread last year, about problems I had with the Dean Goods sticking once per revolution when running very slow.  After having to return 3, I gave up on buying mail order and waited for one to appear reasonably local to me at an ok price. So I went to The Model Shop in Frome on Saturday, to see if the one they were advertising on ebay had the same problem. They were kind enough to get out a test track and give it a go, and I am pleased to report that it ran fine. I bought it, and so far after some running in for a few hours, it is still behaving. Fingers crossed.    

Edited by scratcher
typos
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

A short running session feature a pair of ROD Khaki 'Dean Goods' from Oxford Rail, fitted with Digital Sound.
During WW1, 62 of these locomotive were sent to the Western Front running under the Railway Operating Division. These two variant of the popular GWR 2301 Class 'Dean Goods' from Oxford Rail, depicts ROD 2308 and ROD 2330 in smart ROD Khaki Livery, the latter being available in the Oxford Rail Railgun Train Pack. 
Like previous versions, the model features a high detail, including fine handrails, extensively detailed cab interior, as well as a weighty die-cast construction. I've also fitted the model with Digital Sound from Coastal DCC Sound. 
In this video we see both ROD 2308 & 2330 in action, moving BL 13.5 inch Howitzer Railgun "Boche Buster" to it's next position. 

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2019 at 06:32, SDJR7F88 said:

Hi John, I can assure you this is just my poor loft lighting playing tricks.

I've had people ask this question on other models I photographed on the layout, so think it's time for a lighting upgrade :) 

I've noticed the different shades on pics on Hattons, Kernow etc so it's only your lighting accentuating the difference, not that there isn't one. They have most definitely managed to make the boiler a different shade to the rest of the loco.

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2019 at 23:13, scratcher said:

I posted to this thread last year, about problems I had with the Dean Goods sticking once per revolution when running very slow.  After having to return 3, I gave up on buying mail order and waited for one to appear reasonably local to me at an ok price. So I went to The Model Shop in Frome on Saturday, to see if the one they were advertising on ebay had the same problem. They were kind enough to get out a test track and give it a go, and I am pleased to report that it ran fine. I bought it, and so far after some running in for a few hours, it is still behaving. Fingers crossed.    

For anyone who wants to take a chance on one mail order,  Gaugemaster have 5 versions on sale at  £59.95 for DC and £119.95 for DCC Sound...

Also some Heljan 1361s and 1366s at £79.95

My BR version arrived from Hattons today.

Straight from the box it was very impressive . Very controllable at all speeds and a good slow runner. It has a bit of a mechanical “growl “ which is not oppressive and will probably improve with running in. Better than anything I’ve seen from Bachman, and better than a lot of Hornby but not quite as good as the Hornby M7 , or the super smooth Oxford rail Dean Goods.  I run on DC with a guagemaster controller and it’s performance on that set up is very good.

As for the body the main thing on the plus side is that it is quite weighty for a small tank loco and that seems to produce very good current collection, with smooth starting and stopping. On the down side the  chimney is not quite right and the dome stands out like a sore thumb. The dome is correct for the original GER models but wrong for BR era, and that seems to spoil the whole look. Also there are full length guard rails over the rear spectacle plates. I don’t know whether that is correct for this particular loco , but most N7’s had half length guard rails as fitted to Oxford rails earlier N7’s right to the end . This makes it very difficult to re-number accurately unless there are others with similar guard rails. I’ve never seen any photos with anything other than the half length ones fitted .

So all in all , a lovely model and I’m glad I bought it, but spoiled by small but important points. I was hoping to buy a couple more but unless these details are sorted out, I don’t think I will.

Oxford rail certainly seem to have got their act together in producing quality products. Certainly showing the others a thing or two, especially Bachman.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

My BR version arrived from Hattons today.

Straight from the box it was very impressive . Very controllable at all speeds and a good slow runner. It has a bit of a mechanical “growl “ which is not oppressive and will probably improve with running in. Better than anything I’ve seen from Bachman, and better than a lot of Hornby but not quite as good as the Hornby M7 , or the super smooth Oxford rail Dean Goods.  I run on DC with a guagemaster controller and it’s performance on that set up is very good.

As for the body the main thing on the plus side is that it is quite weighty for a small tank loco and that seems to produce very good current collection, with smooth starting and stopping. On the down side the  chimney is not quite right and the dome stands out like a sore thumb. The dome is correct for the original GER models but wrong for BR era, and that seems to spoil the whole look. Also there are full length guard rails over the rear spectacle plates. I don’t know whether that is correct for this particular loco , but most N7’s had half length guard rails as fitted to Oxford rails earlier N7’s right to the end . This makes it very difficult to re-number accurately unless there are others with similar guard rails. I’ve never seen any photos with anything other than the half length ones fitted .

So all in all , a lovely model and I’m glad I bought it, but spoiled by small but important points. I was hoping to buy a couple more but unless these details are sorted out, I don’t think I will.

Oxford rail certainly seem to have got their act together in producing quality products. Certainly showing the others a thing or two, especially Bachman.

What loco are we talking about here.

Doesn't seem to fit with any other post.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

What loco are we talking about here.

Doesn't seem to fit with any other post.

Sorry . It’s supposed to be the N7 . A long story but basically I almost finished the post in the N7 thread got interrupted and lost the lot and somehow re-did it on this thread. I’ve put a note on the N7 thread to cross reference.  It’s one of those days I should have gone back to bed and started again !

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Sorry . It’s supposed to be the N7 . A long story but basically I almost finished the post in the N7 thread got interrupted and lost the lot and somehow re-did it on this thread. I’ve put a note on the N7 thread to cross reference.  It’s one of those days I should have gone back to bed and started again !

You could just do a copy and paste to the other topic then blitz the one here and replace with a note such as "Incorrect topic - deleted" or such.

(You can open RMWeb twice in different tabs in a browser so it's quite easy to do - I've had to do the same thing!:blush:)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

to the saga of operational issues with the OR Dean Goods I can add another, not a big deal but worth recording in case it affects others.

My loco has been an excellent runner since the start (after the troubled path I took to getting a good one) but the other day after just a few shunting back and forth moves it just seized up in reverse. Forward motion on a rolling road there was a noticeable irregular click.

I pulled the keeper plate off to find this:

IMG_4586.JPG.ba76b460feda67b87a5a777059c011f8.JPG

The rear left wiper shows damage in the form of an outward bend caused by replacing the plate incorrectly after a previous maintenance. Despite the appearance, it looks worse than it is as it positions correctly against the wheel and does not snag. The real culprit is the PB strip which has detached from the keeper plate, probably because the rear holding screw had come slightly undone.  Even repositioning and firmly screwing down was not enough as it had bent sideways and up.

To resolve the issue it just needed bending back fully to correct shape and a spot of CA glue to keep it in its spot. So worth keeping an eye on those 4 screws holding the keeper plate especially the rear one.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, scumcat said:

Has anyone discovered a viable replacement 5 pole scew wound motor for the oxford dean goods, I was looking at the Hornby x7170 although the shaft is .5mm too big I thought I could drill the flywheel to fit.

How about the small diameter Mashima can motor (MHK1020)?

Branchlines still has them in stock.

Also DcKits which you can order online:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&tag=Mashima MA1020D Motor

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick heads up folks,

Theres a chap on Ebay selling Oxford Dean Goods with with snow plough for low £50s. I ve just made an offer of £50 dead and he accepted, so grab yourselves a bargain

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scumcat said:

He’s been there for months, my ROD and great western both came from him for around £50. However beware he was less than helpful when the motor of the great western one gave up after a few days. Promised a replacement but it never appeared that’s why I had to source a viable alternative . In the long run it worked out as I am happy with my more reliable Hornby 5 pole replacement. The ROD version I have not had any problems with.

A timely reminder that "cheap" is often expensive.

A recap- For those in search of a Dean Goods, first scroll back thru the pages of this topic. Many reports of poor running, "kangaroo jumping", motor short blowing DCC chip, screws left where they shouldn't be during production and blowing sound chip and other nightmare tales. Clearly from this latest post, the motor issue is still out there. It's the reason I relocated the expensive Loksound chip from the Dean to my Collett Goods. The Dean now being reserved for occasional light duties with sedatives supplied between runs!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

A timely reminder that "cheap" is often expensive.

A recap- For those in search of a Dean Goods, first scroll back thru the pages of this topic. Many reports of poor running, "kangaroo jumping", motor short blowing DCC chip, screws left where they shouldn't be during production and blowing sound chip and other nightmare tales. Clearly from this latest post, the motor issue is still out there. It's the reason I relocated the expensive Loksound chip from the Dean to my Collett Goods. The Dean now being reserved for occasional light duties with sedatives supplied between runs!

From what I have seen and from my experience (notwithstanding any quality problems), the DG started out with a reasonable chassis with a decent 5 pole can motor with two flywheels but the body had several glaring errors.

Later the body errors were mainly resolved, making a nice looking representative of the DG, however in the meantime the motor had been "downgraded" to a 3 pole cheap coreless design with less power and only one flywheel.

So what you need is early chassis, late body or do a motor hack as scumcat has done.

I must add that my replacement coreless motor for the one that shorted out and blew a Lenz chip has, not so far, put a step wrong.

It's a nice looking little loco, pity about the problems.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, scumcat said:

He’s been there for months, my ROD and great western both came from him for around £50. However beware he was less than helpful when the motor of the great western one gave up after a few days. Promised a replacement but it never appeared that’s why I had to source a viable alternative . In the long run it worked out as I am happy with my more reliable Hornby 5 pole replacement. The ROD version I have not had any problems with.

I presume we're talking about the same seller so perhaps you were unlucky.

I bought a couple of Deans Goods from him at about that price.

The 2nd one a WD ran like a dog. The rear driving axle or wheels were out of true so I emailed him to tell him I could do nothing with it.

He sent me another without any problem & didn't even want the first one back I presume because I don't live in the UK.

At least you were able to sort yours out.

2 hours ago, scumcat said:

My Hornby replacement motor was £7 making a total of £57 for a deans good with a 5 pole scew wound motor. I wouldn’t call that expensive. In fact a bargain.

It is when compared to the design clever Bachmann C class @ £160 discounted.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, scumcat said:

My Hornby replacement motor was £7 making a total of £57 for a deans good with a 5 pole scew wound motor. I wouldn’t call that expensive. In fact a bargain.

True, but not everyone who might buy this model is as skilled as you are at sourcing and then replacing motors, or would be as unfazed if failure did occur.

Someone buying a new model has an expectation that the product will work as sold, and you can hardly expect the seller to promote his product with an alert like this

"The cheap coreless motor in this loco may fail without warning, even burn out your expensive DCC chip but don't worry, it won't cost much to just slip a new one in!"

Just saying that buyers should expect more from "RTR" manufacturers and that when reasonable expectations are not met then we shouldn't put on a brave face but call it out for what it is, shoddy workmanship. As Keith (Melmerby) said yesterday, OR "downgraded the original design", IMO, apparently without concern for the running quality of the revised model or for it's durability. We'd never accept that in a new car we'd bought, if the engine blew up. Why do modellers tolerate such poor workmanship then roll up their sleeves and relish the prospects of fixing the issues that should never have been there? It's beyond me!

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Strangely Oxford are still claiming the Dean Goods have a 5 pole skew wound motor.

Maybe a claim under the Trade Description Act?

The model of 2475 quite clearly doesn't comply with the description given by Oxford.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/deans-goods-2475-plain-or76dg003?_pos=5&_sid=9075e2b04&_ss=r

47 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Strangely Oxford are still claiming the Dean Goods have a 5 pole skew wound motor.

Maybe a claim under the Trade Description Act?

The model of 2475 quite clearly doesn't comply with the description given by Oxford.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/deans-goods-2475-plain-or76dg003?_pos=5&_sid=9075e2b04&_ss=r

Where does it say skew wound?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, bigherb said:

Where does it say skew wound?

Ah. My bad. Seen it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it again.

Definitely says 5 pole though, the later motor is only 3 pole.

EDIT Found it.

The quote was

"We use quality, five pole skew wound – not coreless - motors" in a private communication from one of Oxford's staff after I had made the claim (quite correctly) that they had changed the original motors for cheap 3 pole coreless motors.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1