Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Two questions

A ) Is it diecast or is that the finish of the plastic on the prototype?

B ) what sort of motor does it have?

I passed on the Radial as I expect the Hornby one to be better (Probably give that a miss too!)

The Dean Goods really looks the part, it has captured the look of this long lived prototype nicely.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

It looks like silver paint, and was on the wagons too. I didn't pick it up, but I expect it's a mix of plastic and mazak, like the radial. The tender holds the decoder, has four pick ups, and looks to be connected by a simat to Hornby plug and socket.

It would be useful to know the differences in external size and appearance between the various boilers, to see which ones it can be altered to. It looks like all three versions they are doing had a B4, but can it be altered to other types? The RCTS book lists the details I gave for every loco, and there's some more useful information in the text. And will it be straightforward to get rid of the Belpaire firebox, and replace it with a roundtop?

Tenders is the other big question, but I'm rusty on all this stuff I used to know. Not just capacity, but coal rails etc., and in their early life some locos had a variety of older tenders.

One difficulty, which I found it with trying to 'retro' the Bachmann G2A, is that the 'engine block' under the Belpaire firebox just didn't allow for a conversion without some serious chopping of metal.  It may be that, aware of the response to the Adams lack of 'daylight', they have concentrated the motor and gear train in the Belpaire firebox for the extra space it affords.

It will be interesting to see the first stripped down pictures when they appear.

A couple of pics from the Toyfair. It looks pretty good to me.

Paul

Now that does look very nice indeed!  It certainly looks to have potential and I just hope there is sufficient clearence for conversion to EM.  She rather looks to be a scan of 2516 at Swindon so she will look good in black with GWR on the tender.

Yes, my main concern is that the motor-gearbox needs the whole of the belpaire firebox, hindering the conversion to Dean Goods or other classes with round-top fireboxes.  This will not stop this being an excellent model or prevent yours truly from subscribing to a minimum of 2 belpaire models.

Now that does look very nice indeed!  It certainly looks to have potential and I just hope there is sufficient clearence for conversion to EM.

I think that's the only major question for me now. I've got a set of Ultrascale (I think, but it's so long since I bought them!) wheels, that I assume will be narrower than the Oxford ones, but I'd like the option to just regauge the Oxford ones.

If I could convert it to an S0 boiler, I might be tempted to do one as built in P4 as well, depending on the date I settle on for whatever broad/mixed gauge layout I build next.

Perhaps all Those having histrionics about no daylight under the boiler can relax now......

Nope. Some of us are having them about the practicality of being able to change the boiler now. And whether there's enough daylight getting into the splashers to convert to EM :jester:.

• RMweb Gold

What splendid news!

Some livery advice please

What would be the likeliest livery for 1947/48..........Great Western as produced or Black with BR logo replaced with either war time GWR or initial British Railways?...........I don't fancy the shirt button!

Kind regards from Vancouver

John

• RMweb Gold

What splendid news!

What would be the likeliest livery for 1947/48..........Great Western as produced or Black with BR logo replaced with either war time GWR or initial British Railways?...........I don't fancy the shirt button!

John

John, my thinking is that both options would be acceptable, although the wartime black would make it your very own model. Or you go for something in-between and murky! Eg: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1785.htm

Incidentally, like most Dean Goods Oxford's 2309 sure did go through some changes in her lifetime:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/surprise-tucked-away-siding/story-22978828-detail/story.html

and

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh55.htm(as shown earlier)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not all locos that were around pre 1934 got the shirtbutton, some missed it completely and by wartime new insignia was unlikely to appear on "secondary" locos although the shirtbutton didn't officially go until 1942.

You could have "Great Western" on dirty unlined green and get away with it!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel and Keith.......I assume 2475 didnt get lost at Dunkirk :scratchhead: 

Having looked at the photo that Mikkel posted of 2309 at Snow Hill and the enormous pile of coal in the tender I take back and apologise for all the rude things I have ever said about the coal in Hornby's Dean tender!

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mikkel and Keith.......I assume 2475 didnt get lost at Dunkirk :scratchhead:

John

2475 was "withdrawn" 10/40 for war service as WD 157 and shipped to France, later after the war, it was returned to the UK "unfit for service" and was scrapped.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith......glad I asked

I guess I will have to renumber the Great Western release..........have you any ideas for a suitable number in the Cambrian area (Granbys geography is somewhat elastic)?

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Keith......glad I asked

I guess I will have to renumber the Great Western release..........have you any ideas for a suitable number in the Cambrian area (Granbys geography is somewhat elastic)?

Regards

John

Try this list: (Only late 40s onwards)

http://64.37.52.62/~brdataba/locoqry.php?action=class&id=106001&type=S&page=alloc

2449 was at Oswestry in 1946!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

What splendid news!

John

There's a nice shot of 2444 carrying the "GWR" insignia at Bristol after the war (no date) in Russell's vol 1 p87. Colour hard to tell, could be black but I'm thinking green. It follows the Oxford version quite well (*). A re-lettering of the tender would be needed of course.

(*) assuming they do a version without topfeed

Edited by Mikkel

Good news indeed, But I hope they give this model smaller flanges as the Adams I could not run on C+L track due to it hitting the chairs.

I do not understand why they fitted it with such large flanges, Hornby and Bachmann seem to get away with using finer flanges on their models.

Well pity the Adams would not run on my layout as I was really looking forward to getting one, so please Oxford do it with finer flanges.

Edited by darren01