Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge 4-plank wagons

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Like some of my Bachmann weathered wagons, they have concentrated on a brake dust effect for the lower portions of the body.  This is not incorrect, but always seems to me to indicate a wagon that has recently been on a fast run on a foul day; the effect is particularly striking on an LNER BR liveried vanfit.  I weather my own wagons as well as buying ready weathered ones, which I weather further, and adopt a different approach.  Wagons in steam days spent a lot more time standing still, both in sidings and yards and on the road in loops and refuge sidings, and I apply a mucky wash wiped over the wagon in a downward direction to suggest general steam age/industrial area muck that has been rained on a bit.

My minerals have the same treatment but with a darker wash; after all they spend most of their lives around dusty collieries and coal unloading facilities like tipplers or hoists at the ports.  Coal is washed before leaving the colliery of course to keep the dust down, but this is only ever partly successful...

• Informative/Useful 1

Brake dust would feature more on fitted wagons rather than those which would only generate debris when pinned down on a gradient. On an unfitted train only a proportion of the wagons would have their brakes applied by the guard and fireman, those in the middle of the train would probably be untouched. 

Alan 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Aren't they Scottish? :prankster:

Jason

Yes, NB or with a tweak, Caley but also used by Private Traders which was a whole different situation in Scotland.

42 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Aren't they Scottish? :prankster:

Jason

Yes, I’ll take that; though I was thinking of the sticker ‘weathered in Wales’ that somebody mentioned earlier. Don’t seem to get a gloomy ☹️ or whatever emoji sticking on my posts, let’s see if it appears this time!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Looks like Oxford Rail have added a few more liveries to this wagon (unless I missed it being announced somewhere?) - Mountsorrel granite, and Calico Printer's Association.  A bit of a distance away from these wagon's home turf, but maybe a picture will turn up (bought 2nd hand from the NB or LNER?)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Caley 439 said:

Looks like Oxford Rail have added a few more liveries to this wagon (unless I missed it being announced somewhere?) - Mountsorrel granite, and Calico Printer's Association.  A bit of a distance away from these wagon's home turf, but maybe a picture will turn up (bought 2nd hand from the NB or LNER?)

My Dad worked for CPA until it folded, so even if it's inaccurate l think I'll see if my local shop has it.

Alan 

• Like 2

Having had a quick look (I knew that there were calico printing works around Glasgow), and found that the CPA did have a works at Bonhill (near Balloch) which lasted into the timeframe of the wagon. Could be one travelling between different works (at a bit of a push)?

I would have thought it was coal for the boilers powering the machinery, pit to plant.

Birch Vale is in the Peak District, an unlikely location for a quintessentially Scots wagon.  There were four Calico Printing factories in the immediate area.  CPA had a factory at Thornliebank (on the Caley) and also at Paisley,

Alan

Edited by Buhar
Further info