Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

The first lot of Mk3 that Oxford are releasing are the Loco hauled ones anyway so the detail differences mean they are not prototypically suitable for HST haulage.

They're almost correct if you want to make a prototypical Cross Country HST as they've got a whole set made up of converted MK3As

• RMweb Premium

They're almost correct if you want to make a prototypical Cross Country HST as they've got a whole set made up of converted MK3As

Yes but they aren't correct for an HST as in early service. Plus you would have to repaint them so a moot point really.

If I recall correctly Oxford sought views on whether they should a) produce Mk3 coaches in correct colours, or b) produce them in colours to match other manufacturers earlier releases.  I think this was a survey on here and consensus was to go a).  Whichever way they went there would be some not pleased...

There has been much debate over the years about Hornby's colour of the lower bodyside of its intercity liveried releases.  I think most think the colour is too yellowy but not all... Hornby have always said they have used the correct colour code and there has been suggestion that perhaps it is a colour that doesn't scale well - i.e. is the right colour but looks wrong in 4mm scale.  I'm in no position to pass judgement either way but personally prefer the colour used by Bachmann and Lima earlier which is less yellowy than Hornby's version.

M

Maybe it is correct but the prototype fades quickly & is more sensitive than most to lighting conditions?

There are variations in differing brands of 'accurate' colours: would you expect Phoenix rail grey to blend seamlessly into Railmatch rail grey touch a panel up? Ideally they would, but I doubt they do.

Thankfully there are also variations on the real thing even before the sun has faded the paintwork.

Colour comparison of loco-hauled Mk3s, front and third one executive "Intercity", second one italicised INTERCITY: https://flic.kr/p/oYVwj3

the second one does look slightly darker grey, I thought the coach colours were the same between executive and swallow intercity. But is it just the first and third coaches are a bit more weatherbeaten? The roof of the second coach doesn't look any fresher from the paintshop than the others nearby, its not just been rebranded INTERCITY without a full repaint has it?

It looks like a couple of pullman firsts at the back too judging by the break in the red and longer text of 'intercity pullman' rather than just 'intercity'. Interesting set of coaches for the Hope valley line

Colour comparison of loco-hauled Mk3s, front and third one executive "Intercity", second one italicised INTERCITY: https://flic.kr/p/oYVwj3

When the Mk3's were re-branded from Inter-City into Swallow style branding, there was NO repainting of vehicles, so to confirm - Upper bodyside: Executive Dark Grey, Lower Bodyside: Executive Light Grey.

Any perceived difference in the Exec Light Grey between vehicles is either lighting conditions, exposure settings on the camera used, or the vehicle in question may have been washed,sun weathered or a combination of all of these. Weathering can make a big difference as can the age of the paint on the vehicle ( or indeed how many times it's been rinsed through the wash plant ) but as for differences in the Light grey...............no........

cheers

Andy

When the Mk3's were re-branded from Inter-City into Swallow style branding, there was NO repainting of vehicles, so to confirm - Upper bodyside: Executive Dark Grey, Lower Bodyside: Executive Light Grey.

Any perceived difference in the Exec Light Grey between vehicles is either lighting conditions, exposure settings on the camera used, or the vehicle in question may have been washed,sun weathered or a combination of all of these. Weathering can make a big difference as can the age of the paint on the vehicle ( or indeed how many times it's been rinsed through the wash plant ) but as for differences in the Light grey...............no........

cheers

Andy

When the Mk3's were re-branded from Executive livery to Inter-City italic livery branding, there was NO change of colour, so to confirm - Upper bodyside: Executive Dark Grey, Lower Bodyside: Executive Light Grey. Swallow livery had the Executive Grey replaced by Falcon Grey, if you have access to the Platform 5 British Railways Pocket Book  No 2 1997 Edition page 87 bottom picture 12045 has the Falcon Grey upper bodyside  the MKIIIa TSO next to it has the Executive Dark Grey upper bodyside, same lighting conditions, exposure settings on the camera used, printing, colour reproduction Yes  weathering can make a big difference as can the age of the paint on the vehicle upto two years older in the case of Executive Grey version( or indeed how many times it's been rinsed through the wash plant ) the differences are in the upper body side.

A

Had a look at the sample Mk3 on the Rail Express stand at the GCR today, looks very impressive and looking forward to getting a few rakes of these. 

Simply no contest compared with the Hornby models. After a quick chat on the Hornby stand too, sounds like they will be releasing another Virgin DVT next year (and with an Intercity one possibly in the longer term).

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Had a look at the sample Mk3 on the Rail Express stand at the GCR today, looks very impressive and looking forward to getting a few rakes of these. 

Simply no contest compared with the Hornby models. After a quick chat on the Hornby stand too, sounds like they will be releasing another Virgin DVT next year (and with an Intercity one possibly in the longer term).

Wild Boar Fell

Was there any news on the Hornby 87? It'll be interesting to see if the liveries couloirs match up with these mk3s

Is it just me or does the red line appear too wide in comparison to the white line?

Using this earlier photo as a reference, simply as it's handy...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/banburybob/3330559140/sizes/l

Very nice looking coaches, but unfortunately the red stripe is too wide, this was already pointed out some time back when the first pre-production painted samples were shown........................

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Very nice looking coaches, but unfortunately the red stripe is too wide, this was already pointed out some time back when the first pre-production painted samples were shown........................

I can't quite work out what is wrong though. Comparing the positioning of the red and white stripes to the door handle, the door itself and the handrail (including what percentage of its length the red stripe extends) all look about right, but as you say the red stripe is too deep. I hope it is just a livery error and not a problem with the sizes if the model itself.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

When the Mk3's were re-branded from Executive livery to Inter-City italic livery branding, there was NO change of colour, so to confirm - Upper bodyside: Executive Dark Grey, Lower Bodyside: Executive Light Grey. Swallow livery had the Executive Grey replaced by Falcon Grey, if you have access to the Platform 5 British Railways Pocket Book  No 2 1997 Edition page 87 bottom picture 12045 has the Falcon Grey upper bodyside  the MKIIIa TSO next to it has the Executive Dark Grey upper bodyside, same lighting conditions, exposure settings on the camera used, printing, colour reproduction Yes  weathering can make a big difference as can the age of the paint on the vehicle upto two years older in the case of Executive Grey version( or indeed how many times it's been rinsed through the wash plant ) the differences are in the upper body side.

A

I was refering to the original re-branding from Executive to Swallow livery in the late 1980's..........not 1997. There may well have been a repainting of stock gradually into Falcon Grey in later years, but my interest stopped at Privatisation, so after 1994 I wouldn't know. Certainly when the re-lettering took place for the re-branding exercise, rolling stock were left in Executive Dark Grey and Executive Light Grey.

cheers

Andy

P.S Just seen the fots of the painted 3a from the GCR event. I think we're extremely lucky to have models falling out of boxes as good as this now. Top rank effort from OR and I hope they sell them in there squillions.