Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Surprisingly, Hatton's have already sold out their ScotRail Exec TSO stock in around 48 hours - now back on pre-order......so they are selling, warts and all..........doubtful these will ever land in the "bargain bin"................

Edit:  The TSO's have now been removed from Hatton's site, now no longer available to pre-order........................perhaps only a small batch was produced, following all the colour controversy.....

Edited by tractor_37260

The TSOs are showing 'pre order' again so have they sold out of their first batch?

Just come on here to say that - I ordered some yesterday morning when they showed as more than 10 in stock. Got email confirmation and I then checked stock level in the afternoon and it still said more than 10 in stock, so looks to have been a surge in orders - I think Hattons put a marketing thing out on Facebook in the afternoon so may have had something to do with it.

• RMweb Gold

Is anyone close coupling the Mk3s? Do the, NEM pockets flex on curves or are the located in a fixed position?

I have linked a Bachmann DBSO with an OR Mk 3 using Bachmann's standard bar which runs over 2 nd radius curves without problem. I do'nt operate them in push mode so cannot comment. Go back a couple of pages in this thread for a video example of close coupling using Roco. All seems to work fine although I am not sure what sort of curvature exists

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107460-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-mk3-coaches/?p=3410488

I have linked a Bachmann DBSO with an OR Mk 3 using Bachmann's standard bar which runs over 2 nd radius curves without problem. I do'nt operate them in push mode so cannot comment. Go back a couple of pages in this thread for a video example of close coupling using Roco. All seems to work fine although I am not sure what sort of curvature exists

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107460-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-mk3-coaches/?p=3410488

Thanks, that answers my question. All my coaches are coupled using the Bachmann semi-permanent couplings, so can use with that. Just to sort the light grey colour now, maybe with weathering!

Hi

Having seen the above pictured I have reluctantly cancelled my order for five coaches from Hattons. I resprayed the beige on the Intercity ones the last time. But I can't be bothered with all the hastle this time. Not knowing anything about coaches.I don't mind re-spraying red to blue. I take it Hornby are my best option?

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen, I would check the colours of the Hornby coach too - in past releases Hornby's Mk3s (and others) have had lower bodysides sprayed in a shade too yellow (i.e. opposite problem to OR) and they don't match Bachmann's shade either by quite a way.  Several of the details on the H coach are not correct for Scotrail Mk3s being as they are based on HST Mk3s (e.g. wrong roof vents).  Finally the silvering around the window frames is normally wait too heavy on H's (and Lima's) mk3s.  I don't have any more recent releases for comparison and it may be that they are better these days but assuming they are any better than OR's may not be a safe assumption.  If you can get them Lima's Mk3s is best starting point for paint colour...

M

I'm going to have to go against the tide and say that I, personally, don't think the silver window printing works. It was good that they tried. But printing the silver on the window itself, rather than the frame, makes the Mk3 windows look much too small. I can't live with that.

And that's before I start on the bodyside grey colour, which remains just plain wrong, regrettably.

I can see where you're coming from with that but I think realistically its a manufacturing compromise, its the best they could do and its clever what they did. I imagine if they were to print on the window frames themselves the silver would be over think a la Lima and Hornby. The edging on the windows is fairly thin and accurately depicts the silver inner frame on the real thing. 

As for the grey i totally agree. But having seen a video of Lima MK3's with a B'mann DBSO, there is a big difference in shade there too. 

I can see where you're coming from with that but I think realistically its a manufacturing compromise, its the best they could do and its clever what they did. I imagine if they were to print on the window frames themselves the silver would be over think a la Lima and Hornby. The edging on the windows is fairly thin and accurately depicts the silver inner frame on the real thing.

As for the grey i totally agree. But having seen a video of Lima MK3's with a B'mann DBSO, there is a big difference in shade there too.

Yes, I guess we're all waiting for that 'definitive' Mk3 (in all its guises). Lima, Hornby and Oxford have all got bits right, but not the whole thing. And that's quite something really, when you think just how important and prolific these coaches are.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I guess we're all waiting for that 'definitive' Mk3 (in all its guises). Lima, Hornby and Oxford have all got bits right, but not the whole thing. And that's quite something really, when you think just how important and prolific these coaches are.

I think Hornby are pretty close to getting it right with the sliding door version

Well I gave in.... I was sitting on the fence with these.... I had cancelled my pre order a while ago when it was obvious Oxford wern’t Going to change the paint spec’s.... I was waiting to see them in real life.... then they seemed to start disappearing really quickly.... Hattons sold out in 48hrs, rails intimating they are selling fast... so ordered some, and I suppose they’ll go into the list of jobs to be done....an eventual respray of the grey in the future.....

My thinking was it was the lesser of two evils to acquire the coachs and redo the grey, rather than try and source other coaches...

I hope the originator of this e-mail from within the Oxford company will not object to me re-producing the relevant part here, but this will explain as to why the ScotRail 2nds are no longer available from some shops, and have taken them off their websites:

"I’m really sorry to say that we are sold out and will not be able to ship any further models over and above those that we have shipped in the past days. I knew that numbers were tight on this coach, but I didn’t think that they were quite this close. I know from those of you who I have spoken to that early sales of these coaches have been excellent – so much for the online critics. We are urgently considering either a re-run or an alternative numbered version and I should know more about this during the Toyfair next week."

Some shops may have some left. Then we will have to wait a week to find out what will happen next.

I hope the originator of this e-mail from within the Oxford company will not object to me re-producing the relevant part here, but this will explain as to why the ScotRail 2nds are no longer available from some shops, and have taken them off their websites:

"I’m really sorry to say that we are sold out and will not be able to ship any further models over and above those that we have shipped in the past days. I knew that numbers were tight on this coach, but I didn’t think that they were quite this close. I know from those of you who I have spoken to that early sales of these coaches have been excellent – so much for the online critics. We are urgently considering either a re-run or an alternative numbered version and I should know more about this during the Toyfair next week."

Some shops may have some left. Then we will have to wait a week to find out what will happen next.

Most interesting, well IF and when a re-run is done, SURELY they can revise the livery colours and get them correct this time, and if not why not ? 

Most interesting, well IF and when a re-run is done, SURELY they can revise the livery colours and get them correct this time, and if not why not ?

But remember, according to Oxford Rail they are correct already, according to them Railmatch, Bachmann, Pescision Paint, Lima 20 plus years ago, 99% of RMWEBers (AKA the online critics) and I suppose those who painted the 12 inch to the foot 47712 are wrong. If they rerun them I'm sure they'll use the "correct" according to them colours.

This online critic stands by the fact you've made a cracking model Mr Oxford Rail but you've made a big mistake getting the livery wrong, very wrong.

The problem is they have sold out almost overnight....that’s not going to persuade them they have the colours all wrong.... I tried to have a conversation with them a few months ago through Facebook, and then just point blank refused to accept, in any manner, that their colours were wrong.... as far as they are concerned every other version, be it Dapol, Bachmann, Hornby, Lima, they all had it wrong and that they are the only ones who have it right...

Yes I'd have to agree with both posts above, well put and fair comments.

As for almost selling out over-night that's probably the main reason they won't ahem correct the livery colours on any re-run...but the question is did they reduce the original production quantity planned due to possible poor sales thanks to all the flack about the colours they and they only believed were correct ?

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Why would they?

If folk were that bothered by the livery then surely they would not have sold and thus stocks of the original batch would still be available.

Oxford primary reason for existing after all is to make money for its owners - something the recent Scotrail Mk3s have apparently been doing very nicely.

The brutal truth is that those getting all upset about the colours chosen on here are in the minority and as such are not worth listening too when seen from the cooperate perspective.

Given the extra hassle and arguments re-visiting the livery debate would merely delay things further - the e-mail quoted by 87029 makes it clear that a quick decision is needed to secure production of a further batch.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

But remember, according to Oxford Rail they are correct already, according to them Railmatch, Bachmann, Pescision Paint, Lima 20 plus years ago, 99% of RMWEBers (AKA the online critics) and I suppose those who painted the 12 inch to the foot 47712 are wrong. If they rerun them I'm sure they'll use the "correct" according to them colours.

This online critic stands by the fact you've made a cracking model Mr Oxford Rail but you've made a big mistake getting the livery wrong, very wrong.

Wrong it might be - but money talks just as much in the model railway world as it does elsewhere.

Any company having sold out of its stock overnight is extremely unlikely to turn round and conclude it made an error are they?

Wrong it might be - but money talks just as much in the model railway world as it does elsewhere.

Any company having sold out of its stock overnight is extremely unlikely to turn round and conclude it made an error are they?

At least Heljan held their hands up when they painted a raft of 47's with incorrect BLACK roofs and supplied correctly painted replacement bodies FOC to existing purchasers....well done to them...they accepted they made a boob....and are still in business....

• RMweb Premium

At least Heljan held their hands up when they painted a raft of 47's with incorrect BLACK roofs and supplied correctly painted replacement bodies FOC to existing purchasers....well done to them...they accepted they made a boob....and are still in business....

Bachmann have form for replacing wrongly decorated models too - an EPB EMU had the numbers transposed between the two vehicles so new bodyshells were produced while Hornby arranged for a fresh batch of tender tops to be made for one of their Bullieds last year.

While these sort of actions generated considerable goodwill from the modelling community - it probably meant that the actual products ended up selling as a loss for the parent company when the money spent on corrective actions had to be taken into account.

Now as the issues were spotted early on and the affected products withdrawn from sale we do not know whether they would have still sold out if no action had been taken so its hard to make a direct comparison with the Scotrail Mk3s - where Oxford have continued to dispatch them to retailers despite concerns being raised over the colour shades used.

It sounds harsh, but if I were an accountant looking at all this I would say "stuff the wingers on RMweb etc.they can go screw themselves - the product has sold well and folk are asking for more so we are the ones who are right". Given you can't pay the bills (or Chinese wages) with warm sentiment and cold hard cash is what any business needs to survive, the fact the modelling world seems to be only too happy to hand it over rather makes any criticisms over the livery irrelevant.

Hi

Here's hoping it's not the same accountant that forked out £150 in expenses for buying the Bachmann Scotrail class 47 at the Glasgow show to use as a comparison to their colours.

All I will say is 'If a man who painted the real thing is telling you it's the wrong colour and you don't listen. What hope is there for the next model'

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

• RMweb Premium

Half the people on this thread are as belligerent as Oxford themselves. Yes the colours appear wrong. No they won’t change them any time soon, because as observed many times and roundly ignored they sold out literally overnight. That’s not a sign of a product with a grave flaw.

• RMweb Premium

As an accountant I do see the point of view . If the original ones sold out why go to the expense of changing, although is it that much of an expense changing paint finish, just re write the specs surely. As a model railway consumer I want the correct colours , and actually I think getting it right would have cost about the same.

However I’m afraid that this just demonstrates the enthusiast is his own worst enemy . We complain about colours being wrong , but someone still buys them, we complain about prices in a certain other manufacturer but we still go out and buy them and we complain about QC ( or lack of) in another one but we still put in huge preorders! I think this is a great industry to be in ! Sure there’s a lot of noise but we still buy.

Edited by Legend