Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

I have just received a full push pull rake-

DBSO CO TSO TSO TSO TSO.

And 2 of them had a broken couplingattachicon.gif20190118_122957.jpg

Has anybody else had this issue.

Hattons has replaced the CO.

I bought the other one from Kernow who have promised to replace when they get more in.

Phil

You may well find the coupling mechanism is not actually "broken" as such, it's just displaced, and can be easily fixed - as per Matt's post #1961 or my own post # 1835 .

HTH

• Like 2

DBSO CO TSO TSO TSO TSO.

I bought the other one from Kernow who have promised to replace when they get more in.

Phil

That's exactly how mine went before repair above... not broken but dislodged due to the interior moulding not holding the cam in place.  Surprisingly easy to fix!

M

Ken’s method is probably more elegant than mine but if going his way I would recommend not reassembling the coach for a day or so after using superglue as the fumes can sometimes cause glazing to mist up which can only be addressed by new glazing... I try to avoid using superglue inside locos and coaches for this reason.

M

• RMweb Gold

Ken’s method is probably more elegant than mine but if going his way I would recommend not reassembling the coach for a day or so after using superglue as the fumes can sometimes cause glazing to mist up which can only be addressed by new glazing... I try to avoid using superglue inside locos and coaches for this reason.

M

Good advice to wait for the glue flumes to clear, however If the glazing does mist up it can be “cleared” by brushing on Johnson’s Klear (or whatever it is called now). Old model aircraft canopy technique - also makes “tired” glazing clearer.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

DBSO CO TSO TSO TSO TSO.

Phil

Several pages back, i put a permanent solution...

Cut off the vestibule floor if the seating moulding, lightly glue it to the frame and it permanently holds the cam spring and hook in place.

Worked for several months now on mine.

Theirs two issues, one the mechanism / spring isnt robust enough (with less than 0.5mm, perhaps 0.25mm to clip the spring, and secondly the screw holding the vestibule floor is smaller than some screws used in sunglasses !

• Like 2

Further tip. If you have the interior section off, remove the two screws holding down the metal weights and then secure the weights using glue or your favourite method. These screws, which are longer, can then be used to replace the short screws at the ends of the interior section. Be careful not to over tighten them as otherwise the close coupling mechanism will be too stiff. If that happens, just slacken the screw slightly until it works properly.

Best wishes

Roddy

I've finally picked up some Blue Grey SOs to complement the FOs and catering vehicle. Incidentally I note that the catering vehicle has yellow corridor ends - I'm sure the one at the buffet end should be red; but the FOs and SOs have off white ends which were definately yellow back in the day. Not a massive issue.

Anyway, one of the SOs had the following part loose in the box - any idea where it goes?

post-549-0-35802800-1548022025_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've finally picked up some Blue Grey SOs to complement the FOs and catering vehicle. Incidentally I note that the catering vehicle has yellow corridor ends - I'm sure the one at the buffet end should be red; but the FOs and SOs have off white ends which were definately yellow back in the day. Not a massive issue.

Anyway, one of the SOs had the following part loose in the box - any idea where it goes?

attachicon.gifIMG_20190120_132511.jpg

Looks like a part of the bogie, on the outside that connects to the inner wheel on the bogie.

It does look a bit like part or the outsiide of the bogie.

Baz

Looks like a part of the bogie, on the outside that connects to the inner wheel on the bogie.

Your both correct & here's a pic to prove it

post-28417-0-87169000-1548023961_thumb.jpg

John

A quick question to those in the know ... Oxford Rail produce the INTERCITY Swallow livery on the Mk3s, which was the third generation livery for the fleet (after Blue & Grey, and Original InterCity colour schemes).  Other than the style of the INTERCITY branding, was there any other changes to the livery between the original IC and Swallow schemes?

ie. if the INTERCITY branding was removed and replaced with new transfers saying InterCity, would the coach be technically accurate, or were there other changes?

I have looked at a number of photographs and cannot really see anything, but you guys are far more knowledgable then me!

Richie

EDIT: Ah I may have just answered my own question - the INTERCITY Swallow vehicles have CDL lights on them (which I don't think came in until the 1990s), so its looks like original IC livery is going to have to be a respray of blue & grey vehicles!

Edited by Richie Kynaston

A quick question to those in the know ... Oxford Rail produce the INTERCITY Swallow livery on the Mk3s, which was the third generation livery for the fleet (after Blue & Grey, and Original InterCity colour schemes).  Other than the style of the INTERCITY branding, was there any other changes to the livery between the original IC and Swallow schemes?

ie. if the INTERCITY branding was removed and replaced with new transfers saying InterCity, would the coach be technically accurate, or were there other changes?

I have looked at a number of photographs and cannot really see anything, but you guys are far more knowledgable then me!

Richie

EDIT: Ah I may have just answered my own question - the INTERCITY Swallow vehicles have CDL lights on them (which I don't think came in until the 1990s), so its looks like original IC livery is going to have to be a respray of blue & grey vehicles!

They would have ran in INTERCITY swallow before the CDL lights were fitted. I dont think the coach colours changed, but with the locos the INTERCITY swallow locos and DVTs gained Falcon Grey instead of Executive Dark Grey and white instead of Executive light grey (or in the case of DVTs, the front white and the 'coaches' end light grey with the diagonal change between the two colours)

I received my order of ScotRail Mk3s yesterday. Overall, I must say I'm happy with them, but I did notice a couple of things that I don't think have been mentioned on here before:

I've only opened one box so far, a TSO, and I noticed a couple of small black round pieces loose in the box. Turns out a couple of axlebox covers had come adrift. Has anyone else had this? I tried to push one back in, but it either needs a little more patience and persuasion, or glue! I'm a little wary of glueing, as it looks like the axle end is exposed with the cover removed. Suffice to say, I'll be opening the rest on the table, not the sofa, just in case!

Also, the paint finish: while most of the coach is a satin/eggshell/matt/(not shiny) finish, the blue and white stripes seem to be a bit glossier, as does the light grey strip by the cantrail - I'm guessing this is a result of tampo printing these parts. Also, there's a rough edge through the blue stripe, looks to be where the lower body colour (the contentious light grey) is masked off, withthe blue then applied over the top. It's not particularly obvious to me (and no big deal), I noticed it under close observation while catching the light right on it.

Not wishing to start another debate, just my observations that I don't think have been mentioned (apologies if they have and I've missed it!)

Cheers,

Mark

Hate to say it but I was watching more scotrail vids last night and that lower colour in the videos doesnt seem a million miles away from Oxford have produced (the cold grey).   we all know that the Bachmann 47/7 and DBSO arrived first with the warmer lower grey but now having watched these videos, hand on heart I am torn as to who is correct and in fact now erring towards Oxford.   Maybe Bachmann got their grey "too warm" and so we are all now expecting everyone to follow that (great for matching trains but I am happy to concede if my judgement might actually be wrong).

the videos included the 47/7s and I was peering at the lower grey really hard trying to get my eyes to see a warmer lower grey but it just wasnt happening.  you might see it as warm on a heavily weathered 47 but not a pristine or clean loco.

it could lead some to think its easier to respray the lower half of the DBSO and the 47/7 than it is for 4 or 5 x Mk3 coaches.

Personally I would still have preferred Oxford to follow suit but hey ho.

On the pressure vented Mk2s in ScotRail the videos also only seem to show the branding under the first window.

Edited by ThaneofFife

Hate to say it but I was watching more scotrail vids last night and that lower colour in the videos doesnt seem a million miles away from Oxford have produced (the cold grey).   we all know that the Bachmann 47/7 and DBSO arrived first with the warmer lower grey but now having watched these videos, hand on heart I am torn as to who is correct and in fact now erring towards Oxford.   Maybe Bachmann got their grey "too warm" and so we are all now expecting everyone to follow that (great for matching trains but I am happy to concede if my judgement might actually be wrong).

the videos included the 47/7s and I was peering at the lower grey really hard trying to get my eyes to see a warmer lower grey but it just wasnt happening.  you might see it as warm on a heavily weathered 47 but not a pristine or clean loco.

it could lead some to think its easier to respray the lower half of the DBSO and the 47/7 than it is for 4 or 5 x Mk3 coaches.

Personally I would still have preferred Oxford to follow suit but hey ho.

On the pressure vented Mk2s in ScotRail the videos also only seem to show the branding under the first window.

This livery colour issue has been done to death - the majority agreeing that the Ox Rail "Grey's" are just plain wrong.  It's also worth considering when watching your vids, the Exec Light Grey used on ScotRail stock is  exactly the same colour as used on Inter-City stock, BUT the light Grey will "appear" to look lighter on the ScotRail stock when applied against a Light Blue band instead of Red. It's an optical illusion. the Blue makes the Light Grey colder/lighter looking, whereas Red (being a warmer colour) makes the same light Grey look warmer/darker.

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

The problem is they have sold out almost overnight....that’s not going to persuade them they have the colours all wrong.... I tried to have a conversation with them a few months ago through Facebook, and then just point blank refused to accept, in any manner, that their colours were wrong.... as far as they are concerned every other version, be it Dapol, Bachmann, Hornby, Lima, they all had it wrong and that they are the only ones who have it right...

Well I admit to being a bit forgetful these days BUT I am quite sure that Scotrail coaches at that time had a beige lower colour not a washed out grey.

This livery colour issue has been done to death - the majority agreeing that the Ox Rail "Grey's" are just plain wrong.  It's also worth considering when watching your vids, the Exec Light Grey used on ScotRail stock is  exactly the same colour as used on Inter-City stock, BUT the light Grey will "appear" to look lighter on the ScotRail stock when applied against a Light Blue band instead of Red. It's an optical illusion. the Blue makes the Light Grey colder/lighter looking, whereas Red (being a warmer colour) makes the same light Grey look warmer/darker.

Indeed, I was also of the opinion the greys were different until I got 2 pictures side by side, when looking at the complete pictures the grey looked different, but masking them so only the greys were visible and they then appeared identical, as you say the warm red stripe gives the illusion of a warmer grey.

havent seen anything anywhere today saying OR are releasing Virgin Mk3s ony seen passing comments like on the RAILS website.   wheres that in the announcement? 

Virgin Mk3s were announced last year but there are licensing delays according to OR via Facebook. I wonder if there is a new ETA?