Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Virgin Mk3s were announced last year but there are licensing delays according to OR via Facebook. I wonder if there is a new ETA?

Perhaps Virgin are demanding Oxford use the correct shade of Virgin red but Oxford insist on using their own version!

I don't remember any other manufacturers having licensing issues with Virgin. Oxford's colours must be way off again! ;-)

• Like 4

This livery colour issue has been done to death - the majority agreeing that the Ox Rail "Grey's" are just plain wrong.  It's also worth considering when watching your vids, the Exec Light Grey used on ScotRail stock is  exactly the same colour as used on Inter-City stock, BUT the light Grey will "appear" to look lighter on the ScotRail stock when applied against a Light Blue band instead of Red. It's an optical illusion. the Blue makes the Light Grey colder/lighter looking, whereas Red (being a warmer colour) makes the same light Grey look warmer/darker.

I don't want to reopen the tin of worms again but last week in the clubroom I was looking at a poster of a class 47/7 pulling a push pull set past Eastfield depot. I think The poster was from rail express and I did think the colour of the light grey was close to what Oxford have done. Now maybe the poster has faded maybe the colour reproduction is not spot on I don't know.

Now many years ago I was involved with 303048 after it was repainted Caledonian blue. To get the colour right an original paint sample was used. Later on we found an original unused door open button that had never seen daylight, and it was an exact match. Yet you would not believe how many people would tell me the share of blue was wrong some said it was too light and some said it was too dark.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean by a normal Mk3; there are already loco-hauled in blue/grey livery.

As in, not MK3a but HST trailers :P

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether Oxford are likely, or less likely to do a run of INTERCITY (NOT exec!) livery, so I can make a decision whether I should buy the currently available ones (that are fairly hard to find), without being that specific.

As in, not MK3a but HST trailers :P

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether Oxford are likely, or less likely to do a run of INTERCITY (NOT exec!) livery, so I can make a decision whether I should buy the currently available ones (that are fairly hard to find), without being that specific.

I'd like to know this too - seems that if OR got their colours and the differences between MK3a and HST trailers right they could shift SO many of these!

Having seen the Oxford Rail Mk3As at Stafford today, the light grey colour they've used on the Scotrail Mk3s looks an awful lot like the Rail Grey as used on the BR Blue and Grey coaches.

Between that and the blue band at the top of the Blue and Grey ones being HST depth rather than Mk3A, I didn't buy any!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If they weathered them, no one would know any difference.

they were very light when ex-Works, (agreed not as light as modelled), but within a week dirt darkened the grey.

light grey is never going to be a light colour, when exposed to 4 axles mixing rusty brake dust, track dirt, toilet tanks and rainwater.

tbh i’m less concerned with the light grey of the mk3’s than I am with the dark grey used by Bachmann’s NEA that is way too light.

Granted adding a darker grey mitigates the light grey, but weathering would be more accurate... they were never clean, ever !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blatant profiteering . I can understand them not offering a discount, after all if you can sell them why would you discount , but this is above Oxfords suggested price and someone cashing in, or attempting to. I think they misjudge it , because when I saw what they were charging I immediately left their stand and didn’t look at anything else. Not the type of people I want to deal with. There aren’t many SOs to go around , far too many CO and FOs that we’re going for £29 . I saw another offering packs of three FO , CO and SO , obviously trying to get rid of their excess first class stock. I had a look and may have bought an SO  but on seeing them in the flesh the colour really just doesn’t look right. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Strange.  When a shop attempts to charge what it can (or an ebay seller), its "blatant profiteering".  When Bachmann do it, its "market forces"

I think you’ll find I’m at least consistent and have for a long time being questioning Bachmanns prices , since they whacked them up on their 25th anniversary in fact.   I think as other producers are now showing these are also very high. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think you’ll find I’m at least consistent and have for a long time being questioning Bachmanns prices , since they whacked them up on their 25th anniversary in fact.   I think as other producers are now showing these are also very high. 

You're at least consistent about constantly finding an opportunity to bang on about it.  If you don't like their prices don't buy them. It's your choice, their product and sales approach.  Did you moan about the Rapido Dynamometer Car?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Bob Reid said:

You're at least consistent about constantly finding an opportunity to bang on about it.  If you don't like their prices don't buy them. It's your choice, their product and sales approach.  Did you moan about the Rapido Dynamometer Car?

Was answering direct question .  And yes have exercised choice and not bought any of them.   On the other hand I did sign up for a rake of Accurascale mk5s @£225 for 5 . Great value . 

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2019 at 20:44, Bob Reid said:

If anyone in the area is still looking for ScotRail Mk3a TSO's, Mac's Models at Kirriemuir still has some available at £34.95

Thanks for the heads up Bob.  I visited Mac's today expecting the shelves to be empty, but managed to pick up three ScotRail TSOs.

Next will be some masking and airbrushing to get make them a better match for the 47/7 & DBSO.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A question. Thinking ahead to a possible future project and given how bargain binable the early releases of Oxford's Mk3s have been, how suitable do you think they would be for a Class 442 conversion project?