Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

11 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Given some of the readings here I assume this is pretty standard for Oxford and the Mk3's? This was my first Oxford purchase.

Pretty much, I lost all the footboards and coupling cam springs when I dismantled a rake of IC Mk3s to add lighting.  Some of the screws holding the seating units vanished as well although I did find the irritating screws used to hold Oxford cars captive in their boxes are the right size replacements.  I ended up equipping the rake with Hunt couplings after the cams self disintegrated but the gimcrack construction is the one thing that lets these down.  That and equipping the coaches with electrical pickups for lighting, then not fitting it, and painting over the brass plates meaning you have to remove black paint to fit your own lighting.

Definitely a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Agree 1

With the latest versions from Oxford, at least the Virgin ones, the footboards and coupling springs are more securely fitted.  I have taken 7 apart so far to modify the chassis and even though I was fairly rough with them non of the coupling springs came off.  With earlier versions I had to remove the couplings before doing any work, as they would ping of when sanding, but, with the Virgin ones, I was unable to easily release the couplings so I left them in place without any problems.  Similarly, there were no loose footboards.  I didn't lose any screws but I kept them in a secure container.  I don't think the construction of these is any worse than other models.

Roddy

• Like 2

I have 4 ScotRail Mk3a, no problems with any of them, maybe I got lucky, maybe it’s just the unfortunates with faulty ones come on here. I swapped the tension locks for Roco close couplers, they run fine pushed or pulled. Colour wise, I prefer the Oxford ScotRail wee bit too light colour that can be toned down with weathering than the Bachmann ScotRail far too dark that requires a repaint.

For their price, Oxford Mk3a are good value, the only alternative are the ancient Jouef (good in there day, but that was a different century).

Brian.

7 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

With the latest versions from Oxford, at least the Virgin ones, the footboards and coupling springs are more securely fitted.  I have taken 7 apart so far to modify the chassis and even though I was fairly rough with them non of the coupling springs came off.  With earlier versions I had to remove the couplings before doing any work, as they would ping of when sanding, but, with the Virgin ones, I was unable to easily release the couplings so I left them in place without any problems.  Similarly, there were no loose footboards.  I didn't lose any screws but I kept them in a secure container.  I don't think the construction of these is any worse than other models.

Roddy

Roddy, have you got some pics you would be willing to share on here of the work you've done? I've also got a set of VT ones (see earlier pics in the thread), so would be interesting to see what improvements you've achieved. 

QC is appalling on these, although I agree with Roddy that the VT ones are a smidge better. I have noticed an interesting QC issue with the VT ones that I've never seen before; that being the window tint is noticeably darker on some than others! Magnetic couplings are essential really (Hunts or others).

Edited by VXDH92

14 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

Roddy, have you got some pics you would be willing to share on here of the work you've done? I've also got a set of VT ones (see earlier pics in the thread), so would be interesting to see what improvements you've achieved. 

QC is appalling on these, although I agree with Roddy that the VT ones are a smidge better. I have noticed an interesting QC issue with the VT ones that I've never seen before; that being the window tint is noticeably darker on some than others! Magnetic couplings are essential really (Hunts or others).

You are correct on the QC on these. Either I have been very unlucky or Oxford have no QC at all. I don't think I have ever seen so many varied QC issues on so few purchases. Not just QC but also some underlying design issues too that should easily have been spotted before production or even at design. Yes they are cheap but cheap doesn't have to be like this, I have bought loads of Hornby circa £30 coaches and not had one issue.

What's surprising is the level of detail for such a low price, they have gone to such lengths but failed on what really should be basics. They have the foundations to be a very good model.

On further inspection I have found some other paint defects, most just fuzzy lines (not the end of the world on a £30 model) but also found some paint blobs/lines/under or over spraying. See below as one example, not sure if this is worth adding to the returns pile or just tolerate it. Its noticeable but not horrendous.

image.png.0a05957e9852ad2be921de4159afb3bc.png

Edited by sanspareil

32 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

You are correct on the QC on these. Either I have been very unlucky or Oxford have no QC at all. I don't think I have ever seen so many varied QC issues on so few purchases. Not just QC but also some underlying design issues too that should easily have been spotted before production or even at design. Yes they are cheap but cheap doesn't have to be like this, I have bought loads of Hornby circa £30 coaches and not had one issue.

What's surprising is the level of detail for such a low price, they have gone to such lengths but failed on what really should be basics. They have the foundations to be a very good model.

On further inspection I have found some other paint defects, most a just fuzzy lines (not the end of the world on a £30 model) but also found some paint blobs/lines/under or over spraying. See below as one example, not sure if this is worth adding to the returns pile or just tolerate it. Its noticeable but not horrendous.

image.png.0a05957e9852ad2be921de4159afb3bc.png

are the Oxford Rail Mk3As best viewed as a modern-day MTK kits ... a kit of parts that'll require some fettling to get a decent model of a Mk3A? ... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, GordonC said:

are the Oxford Rail Mk3As best viewed as a modern-day MTK kits ... a kit of parts that'll require some fettling to get a decent model of a Mk3A? ... ;)

No, they're not that good. 

15 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

Sorry I don't have any pictures and the coaches are packed away at the moment.  Basically all I did was reduce the size of the equipment boxes under the chassis so that the angle of the sides are better.  There was an explanation of how to do this earlier in this thread.  Apart from re-numbering, I did little else as my painting skills will never match those of the manufacturer.  Perhaps it is my eyesight but, at normal viewing distance, I can't really see most of the issues raised by others.

Regards

Roddy

On 30/11/2021 at 08:14, njee20 said:

More likely 99% of people won’t know. 

You are probably right. And it's probably the same people that would angrily take to another forum thread if the bodyside grille on their Class 90 had one too few slats! You only have to momentarily glance through the window, even on an unlit interior, to see that the 'signature' Mk3 seat to window misalignment in standard class hasn't been replicated, or even attempted.

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2021 at 08:14, njee20 said:

More likely 99% of people won’t know. 

I often wonder if the vast majority of people don't notice the vast majority of issues, don't ever go on forums and have what is sometimes dismissively called a trainset (and I simply can't think of a better way to make the observation). Hence manufacturers sell plenty of their products and keep churning them out.

I aspire to highly detailed realistic models personally (albeit happy to do some modelling myself) and I think that's probably more typical of forum posters, hence that's inevitably the direction discussions take on here. To what extent manufacturers actually need to get things that right to sell the numbers I have no idea though. Probably not as right as we'd like!

Edit: I'm talking about detail issues rather than poor quality control, which is pretty universally disliked!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I often wonder if the vast majority of people don't notice the vast majority of issues, don't ever go on forums and have what is sometimes dismissively called a trainset (and I simply can't think of a better way to make the observation). Hence manufacturers sell plenty of their products and keep churning them out.

I aspire to highly detailed realistic models personally (albeit happy to do some modelling myself) and I think that's probably more typical of forum posters, hence that's inevitably the direction discussions take on here. To what extent manufacturers actually need to get things that right to sell the numbers I have no idea though. Probably not as right as we'd like!

Edit: I'm talking about detail issues rather than poor quality control, which is pretty universally disliked!

Yeah, I think there's a few things to unpack there. I definitely don't think the membership here is representative of the hobby as a whole, it's (inherently) a self-selecting elite - those who not only enjoy model trains, but even when they're not modelling they want to come online and talk about model trains, and look at pictures of model trains and learn about model trains. Secondly there's a confirmation bias, because of this. The howls of derision are supported because you're surrounded by people with a similar tendency toward accuracy. If you went into a model shop and told everyone that picked them up off the shelf that the interior was wrong I'll wager that most wouldn't know, and even more wouldn't care, even once told.

Then there's a personal element to this; everyone has different standards. So yes, some will be completely incensed that the interior is wrong, and think it absurd. Then they'll plonk it in an unprotoypical rake, along with several duplicate numbered coaches, on their wrongly-scaled track, and run it unweathered on a layout with no OHLE, and no signals, at unrealistic speeds. Nothing wrong with that at all, obviously, but just as some will chase perfection in certain elements, others won't. I don't like Peco track particularly, I'm building my own because to me it looks better, but I wouldn't change the interior on these coaches.

Manufacturers are put in an invidious position; as an N gauge modeller I have to accept more compromise than OO, which I'm generally fine with, but stupid errors still rankle, I agree that poor QC should be universally resented! 

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting last few posts although I'll confess I only read page 1 and 86. I bought a Oxford Rail Mk3 buffet car when they first came out in BR blue to see how good they were. I thought the detail was excellent, but as has been said the body barely stays on, there's a rattle inside and the couplings needed tweaking and then there's the running boards! But, apart from all that........lovely model! 

I thought it was funny about the interior comment; I love the fact the have the gangway detail much better than the Hornby tooling plus the detail for the interconnecting of the coaches (shame about the epic gap). I never would have picked up on the interior though.

I have just recently gone ahead and bought the rest of the Mk3 B&G rake which was 4 TSO and 2 FOs. Apart from the running boards, which almost every one needed at least one refitting, they haven't been too bad. I had snags with running them and a Bachmann mk1 full brake as they kept derailing on one bend but I solved that by filling down part of the buffer beam on the Mk1 which I've done to my other ones too for the same reason.

Without detracting too far from the post topic, my focus on the layout is trying to replicate a real location and the running (Exeter St Davids) around 1987-89. I'm really at the level (for now) where the correct locos, coaches and liveries are what I want correct. Later as the layout is more complete and the modelling switches from scenery and buildings to the rolling stock I'll look to re numbering, weathering and adding passengers etc. I would say I'm not bothered about having the right locos (number or name) but I had Class 50 Centurion which was still boxed as new for a few years while I was getting the shed, baseboards and track laid etc, and when I discovered it was the first of the 50s to be decommissioned in 87 I swapped with a friend for his Sir Elgar. So I would say I might have set a precedent there! 

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

At the risk of unpicking at an old sore, our club has a large apprentice-piece representation of a mk2 carriage, ex BREL Glasgow Works, painted in ScotRail blue strip livery.  It normally lives on a high shelf, but at the moment is down from this due to redecorating so I took the opportunity to compare shades of grey to some models.  The warmer grey used by Bachmann and Hornby is a good match, whereas Oxford Rail's shade is completely wrong.  If it was the case that the Oxford Rail used the official BR colour then presumably Glasgow Works were applying Railmatch!  Hopefully there will be another run soon, with the colour corrected.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, 64F said:

At the risk of unpicking at an old sore, our club has a large apprentice-piece representation of a mk2 carriage, ex BREL Glasgow Works, painted in ScotRail blue strip livery.  It normally lives on a high shelf, but at the moment is down from this due to redecorating so I took the opportunity to compare shades of grey to some models.  The warmer grey used by Bachmann and Hornby is a good match, whereas Oxford Rail's shade is completely wrong.  If it was the case that the Oxford Rail used the official BR colour then presumably Glasgow Works were applying Railmatch!  Hopefully there will be another run soon, with the colour corrected.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a re-run with corrected colours ... Oxford Rail insist their colours are correct #ShouldveGoneToSpecSavers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2022 at 13:56, GordonC said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on a re-run with corrected colours ... Oxford Rail insist their colours are correct #ShouldveGoneToSpecSavers

More #dontwonttolistentofeedback

Roy

• Agree 1

I do wonder if Oxford got hold of a colour spec that would have seen the Inter City "mushroom grey" replaced by the same grey used by NSE and Regional Railways?  Perhaps there was a plan to standardise on one shade of grey which got kyboshed by privatisation and they insist that was the official paint spec as a consequence?  It does look closer to the "silver grey" used by RR and the later NSE EMU fleet.

To be honest, it's not the colour that is my biggest bugbear, it's their gimcrack build quality.  Oxford snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by making it virtually certain you will lose the coupling cam springs the minute you want to take them apart.  That and designing them with everything needed for lighting, then deciding to not fit it at the last minute.  I added lighting to a rake as the bogies are set up to collect the current and lost every spring, making the coupling cams virtually useless when propelled, even with Hunt magnetic couplings.  I ended up giving the rake away to a junior modeller and replacing them with Mk2fs.

Unless they can make them more robust and able to withstand disassembly so those of us who like to add lighting, and detailing, can do so without them collapsing into shrapnel then I won't be returning to the brand.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2022 at 13:56, GordonC said:

That would mean the colour of new coaches wouldn't match folks' existing rakes of Oxford coaches.

#nothing'seasy

2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

That would mean the colour of new coaches wouldn't match folks' existing rakes of Oxford coaches.

#nothing'seasy

Their current colours dont match up with Bachmann that the Scotrail Mk3s would operate with a DBSO at one end and Class 47/7 at the other. Scotrail Mk3s didn't operate in any other way

3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Unless they can make them more robust and able to withstand disassembly

The latest versions of the Oxford Mk3s (Virgin) are more robust.  I've taken about 10 apart and none of the springs came loose. The steps below the doors are also more securely  glued on.

Regards

Roddy

• Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

The latest versions of the Oxford Mk3s (Virgin) are more robust.  I've taken about 10 apart and none of the springs came loose. The steps below the doors are also more securely  glued on.

Regards

Roddy

They are better but still not great. I have a full rake of the Virgin ones (all bought new) and a few had the yellow footboards missing. One coach also had both the black steps missing. No sign of them in the box so I can only guess the factory forgot to put them on. I sent an email to Oxford late last year but didn't hear back.

The Virgin livery looks fine with the Hornby Virgin 87/DVT.

I've also found the Hornby Pullman coach springs (X9097) are similar (though not the same) to the ones on the Oxford coaches. I've fixed a few Intercity ones with them. Lendons have packs of 10 for 99p.

• 5 months later...

4F488265-F9F8-4993-A389-B42394A92AFF.jpeg.1094c3f806a08795fdba923e1ae52ef2.jpegAdded the new Hornby MK3 lighting units to my OR scotrail coaches.. easy enough to add however the battery is sitting in the vestibule by the loo, as there is nowhere else really  to put it without being seen. 

B891FA95-F9AB-4B11-AC69-92F44340B60F.jpeg

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

There seems to be no news on the Oxford Rail front generally since Hornby completed their takeover. Hope that's not a bad sign but I'm not holding my breath for OR announcements.

Fear not, the J26 and the breakdown cranes are listed on the Hornby website.

The MK3's are to be incorporated into the main range according to my local model shop.

As yet, no price increases for these items. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Informative/Useful 1