Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Sorry to quote an older post, but should mention that Railtec recently introduced a transfer set to number a full HST set with numbers completely of your choice. If Oxford could be persuaded to do unnumbered trailers, then these would make tom set a really quick job.

Thanks for that. Here's the link for those who may be interested:

Pack 4mm-C4304

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3005

C4304-1.jpg

I'd originally created the pack specifically with a BR blue set in mind, but it can really be used for any HST set. Quick/easy renumbering, all spot printed so no superfluous unsightly carrier, no need to worry about cutting out and lining up individual numbers.

• Like 4

I agree, however, as you mention flush glazing - it doesn't look too hot on the Oxford one. The photo marked up for the recess shows how inset the glazing is with frames that are quite pronounced. On the real thing there is a tiny frame: https://photos.smugmug.com/Great-Central-Northern-Rudding/Railway-Coaches/i-vb2Nzvr/0/0f15c220/X2/BR%2011074%20Mk%203%20First%20Open%2025%2C04%2C2015-X2.jpg (Not my photo)

Roy

I think the windows in general are a problem - the frames stick out from the body far too much in my opinion.

Looking at some pictures I found on Flickr, the real Mk3s have frames that just barely stick out from the body.  In contrast, the Oxford model the frames, while not as bad as the older Jouef model, still have quite a prominent "height" to them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richa2002/25887833862

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93223521@N04/15257182442/

I think the windows in general are a problem - the frames stick out from the body far too much in my opinion.

Looking at some pictures I found on Flickr, the real Mk3s have frames that just barely stick out from the body.  In contrast, the Oxford model the frames, while not as bad as the older Jouef model, still have quite a prominent "height" to them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richa2002/25887833862

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93223521@N04/15257182442/

Sadly, I think you are correct. The window surrounds look far too pronounced on the Oxford model and painting them silver may serve to make them look worse. I expect it is too late to do anything about this now?

Rob

yeah i imagne if tooling has been cut there is now little that can be done to reduce those frames which do indeed look very prominent and nothing like on a Mk3.

question is why wasn't this picked up sooner instead of all the hoohah over red stripes that would be easy to sort relatively speaking?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

yeah i imagne if tooling has been cut there is now little that can be done to reduce those frames which do indeed look very prominent and nothing like on a Mk3.

question is why wasn't this picked up sooner instead of all the hoohah over red stripes that would be easy to sort relatively speaking?

None of the photos that I had seen before were at an angle to see the depth of the frames.

Roy

I agree, however, as you mention flush glazing - it doesn't look too hot on the Oxford one. The photo marked up for the recess shows how inset the glazing is with frames that are quite pronounced. On the real thing there is a tiny frame: https://photos.smugmug.com/Great-Central-Northern-Rudding/Railway-Coaches/i-vb2Nzvr/0/0f15c220/X2/BR%2011074%20Mk%203%20First%20Open%2025%2C04%2C2015-X2.jpg (Not my photo)

Roy

Agreed.  Looking at those photos and I'd estimate that when scaled down those frames should be raised no more than the thickness of a very fine etch.

Simple answer is that Oxford hasn't provided much in the way of quality photographs, either directly or by providing the opportunity for someone else to take them, for anyone to critic much of anything.  Certainly no CAD was ever provided that I can remember.

Sorry guys.

I believe the pronounced window frames totally ruin Oxford's attempt.

I have been eagerly awaiting these new Mk3's, but am sadly deflated by what we can see so far.

I think it's a dud and no excuses will be able to disguise that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got fed up with the lack of progress. Just bought 2 ex Lima Scotrail ones on eBay for reasonable price . On the lookout for more . Will cancel my order at Rails. I have a feeling these may never see the light of day anyway

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping that this would be Oxford Rail's breakthrough model, the model that broke their habit of making models that are disappointing in some way and not quite good enough compared to Bachmann, Hornby and Rapido but it looks like it is another Oxford release which is nice in parts and which would be excellent if marketed as a Railroad model but not good enough to be marketed as a high end model. In fairness the price is good and if Oxford were marketing these as a Railroad type range (something like Piko Hobby) I think they'd be well received but that is not how Oxford seem to be marketing them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I too have big hopes for these and I am not yet giving up hope on them, although they do seem to follow a trend.

I am looking forward to seeing (and touching one) in the flesh, perhaps at Warley. I just hope Oxford read this thread, even if they don't partake, and listen to the feedback.

Best regards,

Roy

Don't forget that these will have a close coupling mech; a big selling point I'd have thought and they do look the best mark 3's to date. Sure enough there appears to be a few bad points as mentioned and I reckon the bogies look too narrow or the gap between the body and bogies too small but which rtr coaches are perfect? Folks seem happy with Bachy mk1's (modern era) which don't even have any window frames, have massive roof ribs, poor glazing, brake shoes far from the wheels and steps up the back yet that's acceptable. Anyhow, we'll see.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that these will have a close coupling mech; a big selling point I'd have thought and they do look the best mark 3's to date. Sure enough there appears to be a few bad points as mentioned and I reckon the bogies look too narrow or the gap between the body and bogies too small but which rtr coaches are perfect? Folks seem happy with Bachy mk1's (modern era) which don't even have any window frames, have massive roof ribs, poor glazing, brake shoes far from the wheels and steps up the back yet that's acceptable. Anyhow, we'll see.

The problem with the window frames is that they do "stick out like a sore thumb". Problems with the Bachmann coaches are either more easily rectified or less noticeable in the first place. For example, I would rather sort out ribs on a Mk1 roof than window frames on the coach side, after all, it isn't hard to re-spray a roof with just simple masking needed. As for Mk1 window frames, at 00 viewing distances they hardly show, I would rather they weren't present than were over size.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Slightly off topic, but Extreme Etchings ( Shawplan ) have now released an etched MK! Pressure vent frame to add to the MK2 Pressure vent range. Excellent they are too, no more excses for runnning Mk1's with no frames!

Usual disclaimers apply, just a satisfied customer etc etc

Cheers

Andy

Having seen the prototype that was at the GCR and DEMU shows, to call this a 'Railroad' spec model is totally underselling the model. To my eyes it looks superb and when they are released in the liveries I need, they will be replacing all my Hornby Mk3s (as funds allow naturally), because I believe it makes the Hornby look like a toy in comparison. They are certainly to the standard of the Mk3 DVT if not above (also have a look at the rearmost window frames on the DVT).

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic, but Extreme Etchings ( Shawplan ) have now released an etched MK! Pressure vent frame to add to the MK2 Pressure vent range. Excellent they are too, no more excses for runnning Mk1's with no frames!

Usual disclaimers apply, just a satisfied customer etc etc

Cheers

Andy

If I can get in contact with him!

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the prototype that was at the GCR and DEMU shows, to call this a 'Railroad' spec model is totally underselling the model. To my eyes it looks superb and when they are released in the liveries I need, they will be replacing all my Hornby Mk3s (as funds allow naturally), because I believe it makes the Hornby look like a toy in comparison. They are certainly to the standard of the Mk3 DVT if not above (also have a look at the rearmost window frames on the DVT).

Wild Boar Fell

I certainly would not suggest that the Oxford Mk3 is a railroad model - that would be grossly unfair in my book. However, having taken your suggestion, and looked at the frames on the DVT (https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4640_3004781_Qty1_2.jpg), they are a lot better on the Hornby model than the Oxford Mk3.

To me, the Oxford Mk3 is a brand new model which should not be a backward step in any area and I would hope, a step-forward in some (many?) areas. There certainly looks to be many good aspects in the pictures seen so far. The windows and their frames are a backward step when compared to those on competitors' recent models.

I am disappointed with that aspect of the model but, as I said, I am waiting to see one in the flesh and see if improvements have been made over the samples seen so far.

​Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The key point is that you can buy Hornby ones now. Despite being announced in 2015 Oxford still can't decide whether their Mk3s will have lights or not , which suggests they are no where near. I know some will be aghast, but when running round my layout the detail on Lima mk3s will do just fine. they at least have metal frames on windows like I remember Scotrail ones having

given the plans they had for the mk3 range they really need to be looking at the window frames and sorting it out and also updating or acknowledging its being sorted out here or on the website.   these coaches have the potential to be be one of their big sellers but only if they are good. 

close coupling and correct roof vents etc or not its a fundamental of the vehicle that the bodysides should look right.  I always thought that the main bogie frames looked rather weak/thin.

Will cancel my order at Rails. I have a feeling these may never see the light of day anyway

It's highly unlikely that Oxford's Mk III "will never see the light of day".  Clearly all of the tooling has been produced and therefore a significant financial investment made already.  I think as modellers we do have to appreciate that things take time and there are always going to be unforeseen delays, that's the nature of the game I'm afraid.

...but it looks like it is another Oxford release which is nice in parts and which would be excellent if marketed as a Railroad model but not good enough to be marketed as a high end model. In fairness the price is good and if Oxford were marketing these as a Railroad type range (something like Piko Hobby) I think they'd be well received but that is not how Oxford seem to be marketing them.

While I agree with earlier comments that the window frames do seem a little on the thick side, I have to disagree strongly with the 'Railroad' analysis, and to be fair it comes across as a bit of a blanket dismissal.  Having viewed the pre-production prototypes I have to say I was pretty amazed at the level of detail on these new models. 

Looking again at some of the pre-painted shots and to my eye the frames seem to look fine...

Oxford%20Mk%203%20bogie%20(Copy).jpg

so maybe it's simply something to do with the nature of the photographs of the painted examples...  don't forget that enlarged images of even the best models can be cruel, so maybe viewed in the flesh the frames might well be perfectly fine... 

IMG_0192.JPG

And with regard to detail, well, just looking at the coach ends and to be absolutely honest the level of detail already appears to be a level above that of the yet to come Bachmann Mk IIf.  So again, I think the Railroad comments are highly misplaced...

Oxford%20Mk%203%20end%20(Copy).jpg

I guess we shall have to wait and see...

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1