Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Recently finished fitting lights to a MK3A coach, using an extended ESU DCC 50708 lighting strip, it's turned out well, I'm very pleased with it, and it matches a Bach 2F DBSO well.  Although MK3A's will couple together using Roco fixed bar couplings, a 2F DBSO won't couple with them, it's NEM pocket being set too far inwards, so will need to modify a Roco coupling to suit.

not bad.   have you had to chop out any of the interior around the loo area to get light into the toilets and vestibules?   

I cant remember now if OR fitted pick ups or not on the Mk3a.  did you have to fit your own?

Orange and Blue respectively = well I say Orange but it was a Red according to the supplier but it turned out was a dull / dark orange and darker than the loose cover trim.

First Open;

8720750371_6f687a4d3b_h.jpgMkIII coach - original first class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Second Open;

8720750491_3ad24ca7af_h.jpgMkIII coach - original second class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 3

not bad.   have you had to chop out any of the interior around the loo area to get light into the toilets and vestibules?   

I cant remember now if OR fitted pick ups or not on the Mk3a.  did you have to fit your own?

Yes had to cut down the toilet door/wall area to get the light into the toilets, once the strip is extended, the end LED's are directly above the vestibules.  The MK3A axles run in metal strips, similar to Bach MK2F's. the indents the pin point axles run in required clearing of paint/blackening and then wired up - the coach was originally designed to have lighting fitted, but Ox Rail decided not to fit. 

I had intended to fit one of these strips to a MK2F BSO - but having looked at a DCC version, Bach have off-set LED's above the toilet/guards area, so a strip of LED's centered in the coach would not work as well. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL..... hic........

post-2215-0-59353300-1546345190_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260

Orange and Blue respectively = well I say Orange but it was a Red according to the supplier but it turned out was a dull / dark orange and darker than the loose cover trim.

First Open;

8720750371_6f687a4d3b_h.jpgMkIII coach - original first class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Second Open;

8720750491_3ad24ca7af_h.jpgMkIII coach - original second class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Superb photos, thanks Bob!

Superb photos, thanks Bob!

Brilliant photos. I liked the decor (especially the 2nd class seat fabric colour) very much. The lower photo is interesting in that seen out the window is a Provincial livery DMU (class 156?). I didn't realize the original MK3 interior fabrics lasted until the late 1980s.

The oldest MkIII's were barely 10 years old at that point. Although there had been a few prototypes for the InterCity refurbishment, the main scheme wasn't authorised until the middle of 1986.  Until then, any interior work consisted of replacement where required of the original as built trim.

Those are HST MkIII's in the phot's but had otherwise identical interiors to the MkIIIa's throughout those years.

Edited by Bob Reid

the condition of the headrests is disgusting.  

youd think the seat bases would receive the worst treatment but to get the headrests so dirty looking is some feat!

I thought the curtains were also orange to match orange moquette in 1st class.   maybe these were taken slightly after some kind of interior refresh.

I don't think it's head grot on the headrests; looks more like different striped blue/grey fabric on some seats which was probably the original material. Regarding the curtains; were they ever orange?; looking at the picture on post 1782 with the Deltic....must be 1979?

• Like 2

There was a different shade green/brown stripe on the blue/green material used for the loose covers on all three parts of the seat (whether one of three parts got the stripe included was a matter of chance - depended where the trimmers cut the cloth off the roll)  It's not likely to be the original covers and although the pattern remained the same they were frequently dry cleaned and any damaged one's replaced in service.

Those are the original Oatmeal curtains that were fitted when they were built.  They were not replaced by the orange at any time - though no doubt someone can find an example of where they were used. These were also laundered as a routine job.

Here are some other examples - courtesy of #Flood http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84539-br-scotrail-carriage-interiors/?p=1414715 with (of course) the same interior....

Edited by Bob Reid

Yeah I dont think the headrests are dirty, there was a darker blue band running through the cloth (visible on the left pair of seats facing the camera behind the ones right at the bottom). and I think its running through the top of the headrest on the ones on the right nearest the camera)

Does anyone know where I can get replacement buffers.

I have a coch with the buffer snapped off and not sure where I could get replacements.

Regards Baz

Try Oxford Rail - via their Facebook page - as they don't in my experience appear to reply to e-mails ! 

I believe the reason the DBSO was always at the Glasgow end was so that if there was a loco problem when the train arrived in Glasgow the loco was at the outer end of the platform making it easy to change. (For those who don't know Glasgow Queen Street, it's a terminus). If a loco problem occurred at Edinburgh then the train could be diverted into one of the through platforms to allow the loco to be released.

I think there's various urban myths going around as to why the DBSO's were at the Glasgow end generally ( some sets did get turned round unavoidably ) and all of them are plausable, but the one I heard for the 47 being at the front for the assault up Cowlairs, was that the Driver could get immediate feedback from the Loco, should wheelslip occur. Yes, there's an antiwheelslip indicator in the DBSO, but there's nothing quite like being on the footplate with the Lump behind you and feeling the Loco with the soles of yer feet, plus it could take vital seconds for the electrical pulse to travel the length of the set - seconds in which the power handle could be shut and save some damage to the track and Loco.

Could just be another one of the myths though!

cheers

Andy

I think there's various urban myths going around as to why the DBSO's were at the Glasgow end generally ( some sets did get turned round unavoidably ) and all of them are plausable, but the one I heard for the 47 being at the front for the assault up Cowlairs, was that the Driver could get immediate feedback from the Loco, should wheelslip occur. Yes, there's an antiwheelslip indicator in the DBSO, but there's nothing quite like being on the footplate with the Lump behind you and feeling the Loco with the soles of yer feet, plus it could take vital seconds for the electrical pulse to travel the length of the set - seconds in which the power handle could be shut and save some damage to the track and Loco.

That sounds plausible too.

I remember DBSOs in Anglia. The train often snatched quite violently when leaving Liverpool St when the class 86 was propelling, but never in the other direction.

I was told this is because the driver had limited instrumentation, causing them to guess how much power the loco could apply. If they applied too much it would cut out, causing the snatch.

Can't get to a shop for a few days.  Would like to see how they match up with the ScR Bachmann, I suspect I'll be disappointed however!

Em don't think they will match but need to get an example to hand to be sure they do have silver window frames but the colours look similar to the previous Swallow versions which was more or less expected....!
  • Like 1

Hatton pictures show the silver frames and they look pretty good from what I can tell - not overly thick like old Lima ones. At least one rake will be coming my way... sure I wish the colours were closer match but if bothers me too much then will respray lower sides which would be easier than doing window frames properly on a Lima or Hornby version.

Hatton pictures show the silver frames and they look pretty good from what I can tell - not overly thick like old Lima ones. At least one rake will be coming my way... sure I wish the colours were closer match but if bothers me too much then will respray lower sides which would be easier than doing window frames properly on a Lima or Hornby version.

It looks like they've modified the glazing inserts.  The silver is painted/printed directly onto the tinted plastic and not the frames oddly enough.

What they've done is tried to mimic what is shown clearly here, where part of the raised window frame is still dark grey: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25436-mk3-co-ex-fo-stock-photos-needed/?p=258256

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107460-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-mk3-coaches/?p=2652948

It doesn't work overly well when the glazing isn't flush with the window frame, otherwise it is accurate.

Edited by BR(S)