The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Would the horse's size be less noticeable if you just had its head sticking out over the bottom part of a stable door?   

We had to cut off the top half of the bottom door of the stable to let our Shetland see out, whereupon he promptly jumped over it!    :banghead:

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would the horse's size be less noticeable if you just had its head sticking out over the bottom part of a stable door?

Quite possibly, but that would require having one. The stable is firmly stuck together with the doors closed, and stuck down to the layout.

But that would still leave me with a Blacksmith shoeing a horse that isn't there.

Gary

• Like 2

Firstly thanks for the Christmas wishes everyone!!

and now for a look at the Christmas gifts I got!!!

There were only a few items for the railway this year, but they are things I am very happy with!

First there was another Hattons P Class! Number 27 in Wainwright livery. SO I now have all 3 Bluebell engines from Hattons, I need to find something to do with my kit built one now as that is currently 27 in Wainwright livery!

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.37.35-1.jpg

There was also an unbuilt Will Finecast SECR D Class kit (Now Hornby can finally announce theirs!! Yes I believe this is going to happen this year, no I don't care!!):

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.36.29-1.jpg

and finally on the railway front was a Wills Village Blacksmith set, I plan for this to be set up outside the blacksmith building in the goods yard, although the horse included is much smaller than the one I have for the yard already (14 hands when compared to 17!) Does anyone know if this would be big enough for a Railway horse? If not I will have to get another larger one and cut it about to make it look like the Blacksmith is shoeing it.

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.36.18.jpg

attachicon.gif2018-12-26 11.51.08.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Father Christmas was kind!

I, too, acquired the Wills Blacksmith set.  Sometimes I find that the idea of these accessory sets is often better than the reality.  First I decided that the chap holding the horse was not that great (and he wears Wellies, not very Norfolk-in-1905), so I replaced him with a converted plastic figure (to be seen somewhere in the depths of the Castle Aching topic), then I decided that I didn't like the horse much, either!  I have yet to replace the horse, however. 

The tools, anvil etc will undoubtedly come in handy, as I do intend to have a Blacksmith's forge hard by the village pond. Cameo-phobes will no doubt dislike the frozen-motion cliché  of the farrier perpetually shoeing a horse, but I'm inclined to try to use something substantial from the set!

Besides, I do not feel my modelling binds me to Finescale "rules", such as not portraying frozen motion and avoiding what some condemn as hackneyed cameo scenes; if I were modelling a line that favoured bridges instead of level crossings, I'd park a 'bus on one.  Just because.

Anyway, happy modelling, Gary!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Besides, I do not feel my modelling binds me to Finescale "rules", such as not portraying frozen motion and avoiding what some condemn as hackneyed cameo scenes; if I were modelling a line that favoured bridges instead of level crossings, I'd park a 'bus on one.  Just because.

Horse-drawn, of course, so as not to be too hackneyed.

Oh dear - I feel it coming on - please excuse my frailty: how about a hackney carriage instead?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Horse-drawn, of course, so as not to be too hackneyed.

Oh dear - I feel it coming on - please excuse my frailty: how about a hackney carriage instead?

post-26540-0-97662100-1546005345.jpeg

You shall go to the ball.

Even if only for labouring the pun.

• RMweb Gold

The tools, anvil etc will undoubtedly come in handy, as I do intend to have a Blacksmith's forge hard by the village pond. Cameo-phobes will no doubt dislike the frozen-motion cliché  of the farrier perpetually shoeing a horse, but I'm inclined to try to use something substantial from the set!

James,

You are right, looking at the set the tools do seem to be the most useful bit's there. I feel no need for "finescale rules" on Oak Hill, my modelling is far from it. As for the Cameo-phobes, I do have a bridge, I just need to find a suitable bus!!

Gary

• Like 5

you could always park the bus on the level crossing. You would then save a fortune in motors, gearboxes, controllers, wiring, chips (if DCC inclined) etc. And the layout could be one huge cameo, with people getting in or out of carriages, train spotting boys engaging loco drivers in conversation, goods being loaded/unloaded, etc very little of which appears on most layouts.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So 2018 draws to a close, The year I finally add some decent goods stock to my roster!

So with that over the year I manage:

Open Wagons: 0

Covered Wagons: 0

Brake Vans: 0

I think you get where I am going with this.....

Many things got in the way of my plans for this year, in general it has not been a great year, however the year was not a total disaster, modelling wise anyway!

This year has featured:

The arrival of the Bachmann SECR birdcages

The reveal of the first script of my planned YouTube series, to this date I have not yet finished script 3. I really must do that!

Some wonderful transfers by Sem bringing life to my SECR models

The start of my D1, I need to get over my fear of the etched chassis for that!

Some planning out of the actual branch line, This was also done by Sem, he really has been rather helpful to this layout since he turned up!!

A whole new layout! OK technically started before this year, but the only thing used from before the new year was the baseboards and the idea

The arrival of an E4

Some SECR locos getting treated with lining based on the work of Sem

Some plasticard Stroudley carriages with the help of Linny's CAD work

A rather thorough rebuild of a Dapol Terrier, despite the work that had already been done on it!

Mass DCC and coupling fitting

The chopping up of some Tri-ang Clerestories

and again

and something I still think is a 4mm first!!

A new plan

and a new loco!    and some more    and a bit more    even more     and slightly more    I really did drag this project out    and finished (for now!)

Post number 2000!! For which I am still thankful of the support I received!!

Some decent controls for the layout at long last! along with many other bits

The arrival of the Bachmann H2 (still waiting for my H1)

So not a bad year for modelling if you ask me. Unless you take into account all that goods stock I planned on doing!!

Thank you for support throughout!

All that is left for me to do is wish you all a Happy New Year!!

Gary

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Everybody!!

I appear to have been neglecting you all recently, unfortunately I have been in a rather bad place since long before Christmas, and in fact I have 2 modelling projects to show you that date back to early November!! Since then modelling has happened sporadically when I have been feeling OK, but I have had no motivation again for a few weeks, and at no point have I had motivation to sit in front of the laptop and type. However I have decided that I want to show you all everything I have done, not all of this relates to Oak Hill, however this thread seems to have become my de-facto workbench thread, so I am going to post it here anyway. Perhaps I should set up a proper workbench thread as well.

Firstly, if you all cast your minds back to October and the Uckfield show you will remember I purchased a Dapol 00 umber Terrier. Number 662:

post-22762-0-93712500-1547940360_thumb.jpg

Well conveniently I had a picture of 662 at the right time for my other layout Hailsham, so what this needed was detailing correctly, and making less toy like:

post-22762-0-59989500-1547940445_thumb.jpg

So far this has had the darker umber painting around the outside of the lining, coal rails adding, condenser pipes adding, smoke box wings adding, chassis sand boxes removing, wheels painting umber, and a few other bits of paint. It still needs screw link couplings adding and buffer beam work, including a repaint.

Secondly, I did continue working on the layout, this time building the kit that I commissioned from Linny to cover the surface mounted H&M point motor. I followed Linny's advice for painting this, using Halford's red primer out of a rattle can:

post-22762-0-50942900-1547940745_thumb.jpg

I then loosely fitted the structure together to make sure it fits in the gap in the layout (even though Linny's test build had been used to make the hole):

post-22762-0-63360600-1547940813_thumb.jpg

Glued with PVA:

post-22762-0-99206600-1547940829_thumb.jpg

and then the parts painted other colours came out. Halford's grey primer for the grey sections, and some Humbrol white brush painted for the white parts:

post-22762-0-80961100-1547940885_thumb.jpg

The building is still in this unfinished state at the moment, waiting for me to get some paint for a few bits, although all parts were painted with the rattle cans to help seal the MDF before building:

post-22762-0-72338500-1547940953_thumb.jpg

Thirdly, My DCC programming track on my workbench had been disconnected for some time, as the cables could not reach the controller ever since I started the refurb, and moved the controller to the other end of the layout. I decided this needed sorting, and while I was at it I decided to run a few extra cables so I could use it as a test track as well:

post-22762-0-12353100-1547941130_thumb.jpg

This obviously needed a switch on the workbench so I could select my new inputs:

post-22762-0-39333700-1547941170_thumb.jpg

and being the sort of person I am I was worried about what would happen if a loco ran away, what with the test track being next to the edge of the workbench, so I over engineered some buffer stops:

post-22762-0-14191700-1547941274_thumb.jpg

This is where I got carried away a little bit. As while I could now program and test any 00 loco with no problems, I couldn't do the same for my 009 stock, So out came the plasticard (80 thou) and using some spare bits of track I made myself some dual gauge track gauges:

post-22762-0-31276500-1547941405_thumb.jpg

This meant I could place a third rail down the middle, this was joined to the rail at the back on the workbench with a bit of solder and wire underneath one of the buffer stops:

post-22762-0-98621600-1547941547_thumb.jpg

And so for the first time, not only could I run my 009 stock, but my Terriers could seem like they are big!

post-22762-0-32246900-1547941597_thumb.jpg

This is about half of what I have to show, however I think this post is long enough, I shall try to come back to you with the rest soon.

Gary

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Having on one occasion tipped a loco onto the floor while upending a layout, i fully agree with the need for the bufferstops. And that terrier is going to look very nice when it is finished.

An you can now use your test track to check out Trix Twin locos - hat, coat, heading for the door etc

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Having on one occasion tipped a loco onto the floor while upending a layout, i fully agree with the need for the bufferstops.

Well, that and removing anything not fixed down before upending a layout... :)

Edited by Regularity

Not just Trix Twin...

Maybe Hornby Dublo 3-Rail, possibly Marklin Stud contact?

;)

By now, you most probably know that Hornby is relaesing new tooling Teriers!

Suddenly, everybody seems to be making Terriers.....

OK a slightly exaggerated staement perhaps? ;)

• Like 1

Well, that and removing anything not fixed down before upending a layout... :)

It's not just what damage might be done to what falls off the layout, but also the damage it might do to delicate items on the layout as it goes!!  (usual reason for knowing that!   :banghead: )

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Well the workbench won't be lifted up any time soon, but nothing will be running off either.

Sarah,

Yes I am aware of the new Terriers, I am hoping the old ones fall in price when they come out. after all they can make very nice models with enough work

post-22762-0-87860400-1547999531_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Right I'm having a good day again, partly thanks to the comments and rating I have received here, so I thought I would finish of the stuff I started posting yesterday.

Once I had finished off the test track the workbench got sorted out properly, and a few more bits done to it to make building easier, so it felt like time to give the new workbench a try and so out came one of Linny's Stroudley carriage kits.

The first thing I had to do to these was modify the buffer beams to accept scale screw link couplers. The outer layer had a slot as close to the size of the coupler as I could manage, the inner faces just had a hole drilled as this was easier:

post-22762-0-32863400-1548019767_thumb.jpg

And with that done the main chassis sections needed modifying for scale couplings, these were marked up as accurately as possible:

post-22762-0-77595600-1548019835_thumb.jpg

and then cut, being 1mm MDF the cutting is quite easy with an Xacto knife

post-22762-0-94274700-1548019861_thumb.jpg

With the modifications made it was time to start actually building the chassis, this was a very easy process, spread over a few hours to allow each stage to dry before starting the next:

post-22762-0-95875800-1548019964_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-56044700-1548019974_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-26719400-1548019983_thumb.jpg

This chassis is unbelievably free running, so much so that the carriage runs away on the workbench and had to be very carefully placed to be able to take any pictures! Well done Linny on an excellent design!!!!

So with that done it was time for the body to come out:

post-22762-0-52519900-1548020142_thumb.jpg

Step 1 laminate the sides:

post-22762-0-42512800-1548020174_thumb.jpg

Then add the partitions, (and the other side, but no picture of that):

post-22762-0-65763700-1548020224_thumb.jpg

Once that is done the brake end can be started, the sides are left like this until the glue on the bottom has dried, this makes shaping them much easier:

post-22762-0-50424100-1548020256_thumb.jpg

The parts can then all be put together giving us a carriage, and not bad for a few hours work:

post-22762-0-29049800-1548020344_thumb.jpg

The carriage is currently left there, next step is to give the carriage a coat of primer, and then it can be painted

It was a very enjoyable kit to build, and hopefully Linny's issues can be sorted soon and they will re-enter production!

Then because Linny had not already done enough at the end of December I received a link from them to an online second hand dealer. Within about 10 minutes my money had left me.

However a few days later this arrived:

post-22762-0-24859100-1548020864_thumb.jpg

A built, painted and working DJH C2x, too late for Oak Hill, but 448 was sheded at Eastbourne at the right time for Hailsham, so it shall be used on that layout.

Now this wasn't perfect, because it was EM Gauge, and the second dome covering the Billinton top feed wasn't added until after the First World War, however the chassis had been built to 00 standards, with washers on the axles, and the wheels were push fit, so the washers were removed, the axles were cut down, and it was reassembled, the second dome removed and cleaned up gave up this:

post-22762-0-84032300-1548021126_thumb.jpg

All that's needed now is a repaint into LBSC livery

and to round up this update, last weekend was the Bognor Regis Model Railways Exhibition, which gave me a chance to spend some more money!

post-22762-0-08281400-1548021424_thumb.jpg

I got myself some more loco crews, these ones designed for specific locos, and will most likely get a bit of modification to make them a bit more Edwardian. A Hornby LBSC brake van, not because it will get used, but because it is a bit of LBSC RTR stock that I didn't have and it was cheap! a static IOM steam loco, because it looks nice, I may have a go at motorising it as an 009 loco one day, and another Terrier!!!!

This Terrier was a BR Black one, and was brought with a purpose (not just because it was cheap honest!!(I didn't pay as much as is on the ticket!))

post-22762-0-41706000-1548021572_thumb.jpg

So it's livery came off, and it gained LBSC details:

post-22762-0-95087000-1548021640_thumb.jpg

I then had a play on the computer with some lining and lettering, a sheet of these were printed out on plain paper to make sure everything fit:

post-22762-0-86463000-1548021698_thumb.jpg

and just for good measure, a picture of the original loco, (taken 1921 when it was in Scotland, having been taken there by the Admiralty):

post-22762-0-23878200-1548021747_thumb.jpg

and with that we are finally up to date with my modelling!! So once again I thank you for your support it means a lot!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 10

That Stroudley brake is looking good. I'm glad you've enjoyed building, though I note you're still missing a few parts - I'd suggest adding the end steps and the door ventilators before priming and painting. I'm hearing encouraging noises about the laser cutter, but still no news as yet. As evidenced by the C2X, I'm doing my utmost to empty your pockets and provide you with more Brighton-y goodness!

A Terrier in Scotland? A real pity they were only (to my knowledge) on the Caley system, so I can't justify one on the Edinburgh club's NB layouts.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Linny,

Door ventilators have already been added, I think I remembered just after taking that picture, not sure why I didn't take another one to be honest!! Good call on the steps, I had forgotten I needed to add those. I suppose I should get that done since the kit is sat staring at me!!

and when it comes to things like the C2x I don't mind my pockets being emptied!! the more Brighton-y goodness the better!!

Gary

• Like 4