The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

What rail have you used / is it designed for? (I have no idea if the Peco bullhead rail is the same profile as that supplied by C&L, although from something I read recently it may all be made by the same firm.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It's designed for, and I have used Peco Bullhead, my 3 way point is made with C&L and that happily fits in the Peco fishplates, so I expect the profile is close enough that either could be used

Gary

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it's been a while since I updated here hasn't it!

FIrst off, I took one of my test prints from the inspection/ash pit into club and can confirm that C&L rail fits the chiars quite nicely, so although I havent gotten around to converting them to EM or P4 yet, I will be doing so.

Now, back to the layout

The shed got inspection and ash pits on both lines, and I'm glad it did, as it does look good!

2023-06-0209_00_37.jpg.367e564ca215c7a21b57a23163545b71.jpg

and with that done, I turned my attention to the water tower, which as you'll remember has been represented by Oak Hill 1's old tower until recently, to make the tower to the height I wanted I decided I would try and print it, unsure if my laptop would be able to manage designing it, never mind fitting it on the printer! The laptop just about survived drawing it, and it just fit on the printer, but the test print sprayed with some brick red and placed next to the shed does look good (even if it needs a new tank, and windows)

2023-06-1218_56_21.jpg.ce141e0d1bb435adb4cf8b7859016d25.jpg

Happy with that end of the layout for now, I went and had a play with the station end and got the platforms in place, these are the Peco platform fronts faced with SE Finecast embossed bricks, behind them the bulk of the platform is ply left over from the baseboard construction, and filled with polyfiller to bring it upto hieght, I still have to do the surfaces, but I am happy with how it looks so far, the buildings are sunk in by 1-2mm so no gaps under those either!

2023-06-1515_28_34.jpg.4caa989d88d2adc2372f04a8d4c7d3d9.jpg

2023-08-0615_26_40.jpg.ba42fc57e6e19c31d294a9214049cabf.jpg

and I finally placed an order with London Road Models, so I now have the Cowans Sheldon 42' turntable which will allow me to finish the tracklaying properly! I got the full kit from them, with the vacuum formed well and motorisation kit.

2023-07-2818_41_52.jpg.e406866479cd4a4b794e59066aac17b4.jpg

then finally yesterday the jigsaw came back out, and the well found it's way into the baseboard

2023-08-0716_13_14.jpg.4549ee1fbe998090336a33c567b28529.jpg

To do this I cleared out under the layout so that I didn't cover everything with sawdust, so it seemed as good a time as any to run some new plug sockets under the layout, so now there is a set of plugs where I want the controls, handy that, suppose it can't be too long until I have trains running now!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I should probably update this slightly more often, I've being doing some work on the underside of the layout recently, and a bit of work on one of my terriers, meaning this happened the other day! (Make sure you have sound on)

I'm very happy with how this is all going, I'd best get some couplings on my Hornby not Stroudleys!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gary,

Yes the layout is coming on nicely and is quite exciting, have started work on the London Road turntable kit now, will be nice to get that in!

The sound is great, it was a Zimo chip supplied by YouChoos, I spoke to them at Ally Pally and knew exactly what it needed and supplied the chip, speaker, and instructions to fit it, I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was given the size of the loco!

Gary

• Like 7