The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

The X.04 is a great motor, I would fit it to everything if I could. If you change the magnet for one of the Neodymium magnets I use you can get slow running to match most modern loco, and even better on DCC!! and a fun fact that doesn't seem overly well known, the X.04 was originally developed for use focusing the cameras in the reconnaissance Spitfires during WW2.

Gary

Ahh....but the X.04 is a decendant of the Original Zenith motor....the commutator is a drum on the X.04, the Zenith used a flat disc commutator! ;)

Zenith Motor... (This one in our collection has been modified....it was like the box picture originally...)

post-12119-0-84165300-1484488140_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-23881100-1484488156_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-44070300-1484488180_thumb.jpg

X.04 Motor....

post-12119-0-95156500-1484488240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea how the motor worked in the Spitfire. I can't even remember what the original source I got it from was (it might have been Pat Hammond's "Tri-ang Railways: The story of Rovex" but I couldn't be sure)

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else does.

Sarah, very interesting, I had no idea about the Zenith motor, I assume this is closer to what would have been in the Spitfire. (Although I'm sure I read somewhere that the first one were acquired by either Rovex or the Line Brothers straight from war surplus, but I could have made that up.)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This week I have mostly been making transfers, and quite good they are too!

4 sets were made in total but I have some more painting to do before I can apply some of them so this week you can finally see my B1, number 183 "Eastbourne":

post-22762-0-02239800-1484679634_thumb.jpg

I have lost the connecting rods and haven't put the handrails back yet but I think it looks quite good:

post-22762-0-46608100-1484679635_thumb.jpg

and from the Umber camp, Terrier 2-4-0T number 81:

post-22762-0-79107400-1484679636_thumb.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the transfers. I have more coming!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

I have no idea how the motor worked in the Spitfire. I can't even remember what the original source I got it from was (it might have been Pat Hammond's "Tri-ang Railways: The story of Rovex" but I couldn't be sure)

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else does.

Sarah, very interesting, I had no idea about the Zenith motor, I assume this is closer to what would have been in the Spitfire. (Although I'm sure I read somewhere that the first one were acquired by either Rovex or the Line Brothers straight from war surplus, but I could have made that up.)

Gary

ROVEX bought their motors from the Zenith company. (Zenith did use an airplane as part of the trademark I think!)

Tri-ang later bought the Zenith Company in house.....they must have liked the motors so much..... ;)

• Like 1

This week I have mostly been making transfers, and quite good they are too!

4 sets were made in total but I have some more painting to do before I can apply some of them so this week you can finally see my B1, number 183 "Eastbourne":

attachicon.gifeastbourne1.jpg

I have lost the connecting rods and haven't put the handrails back yet but I think it looks quite good:

attachicon.gifeastbourne2.jpg

and from the Umber camp, Terrier 2-4-0T number 81:

attachicon.gifterrier81.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the transfers. I have more coming!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Well I'm convinced!

They are looking very good indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

Much appreciated, I shall knock up a sheet of generic Umber lining transfers with numbers (although not the numbers as seen above, number 81 seems to have kept its Stroudley number plates rather than the later Marsh ones!) and company initials as so far I haven't seen anyone that does them!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

Thanks James,

Much appreciated, I shall knock up a sheet of generic Umber lining transfers with numbers (although not the numbers as seen above, number 81 seems to have kept its Stroudley number plates rather than the later Marsh ones!) and company initials as so far I haven't seen anyone that does them!

Gary

I shall be beating a path to your door!!!!!

Of course, a set in vermilion for Marsh-era goods types is also a thought ..... ! 

I'm sure I can manage that at some point! I am tempted to do my E2 in goods livery as I belive 102 - 104 were.

Gary

I can check up on that, as there were a number of different liveries for the class, but lined black would be my choice.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

The software I used to draw the transfers has been part of my work for about 8 years now, and I still have issues with it at times!

However tutorial to cover the basics of what I did is coming when I get around to writing it, probably a couple of weeks.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oak Hill is a year old!! Which must make it time for a party :yahoo: :yahoo:

and what a year it has been, we have managed 489 replies, 16,159 views, and 30 followers!

post-22762-0-03135600-1485247098.jpg

To celebrate the anniversary I have prepared a few posts which will go up throughout the day. Let's start with a re-written history of Oak Hill:

Oak Hill, a history.

Following the opening of the Groombridge and Tunbridge Wells Railway 1866, the residents of Oak Hill started petitioning for their own railway. Eventually they convinced the local landowner Jonathan Egbert III, who lived in the nearby manor house, that he would like a railway to take him to London for business meetings. An act of parliament was granted in May 1869 formally creating the Oak Hill Railway Company. The intention of the company was to build a line from Oak Hill to connect with the LB&SCR at Groombridge and run the line itself.

In August 1869 John Watson & Co were appointed as the contractor to build the line, they had previously built the Groombridge to Tunbridge Wells railway, upon appointment the firm purchased a Manning Wardle locomotive for the construction.

The line was finally finished in early 1872 although it was originally refused authorisation due to inadequate signalling this was corrected and the line re-inspected in June, at this time the line was deemed fit for opening.

With work completed on the line the Oak Hill Railway Company purchased the Manning Wardle from John Watson & Co, the locomotive was then serviced ready to run the line.

The line finally opened in September 1872 and the board of the Oak Hill Company soon realised they had bitten off more than they could chew with running their own railway, they quickly approached the LB&SCR with the intention of selling everything to them.

It was quickly realised that the LB&SCR were not interested in purchasing the line, they were after all themselves recovering financially from over investments in unprofitable lines, instead an agreement was reached in which the LB&SCR would rent the Oak Hill Railway Company stock and run the services on the line. This agreement came into effect on the 1st of January 1873. The Manning Wardle was soon painted in Improved Engine Green and named “Oak Hill”

The LB&SCR service opened with trains running to London every day with stops at Groombridge to allow passengers to change onto services to Brighton and additional trains running direct to Brighton on Sundays throughout the summer.

The LB&SCR purchased the line outright on the 25th February 1875 and began work on improving the line, this included a new station building in Oak Hill built in 1881 to the Tutor design that was common on new LB&SCR Stations at the time.

Once the link from Tunbridge Wells Central to the Hastings Line opened on the 24th January 1876 The SER gained running rights into Oak Hill and began running services to London Bridge. As a result of the LB&SCR decided to upgrade the facilities in the Loco Yard at Oak Hill with a new two-road engine shed and substantial coaling stage. One road of the shed was rented to the SER who also purchased coal from the LB&SCR at the yard. This agreement would remain in place until the grouping in 1923.

In 1878 the SER services to London started carrying more customers than the competing LB&SCR service, this caused issues between the two companies with actions taken by the LB&SCR to delay the SER services as much as possible.

In 1880 the Cuckoo Line connecting Eridge to Eastbourne opened giving Oak Hill another connection to the sea. Starting the following year Summer Sunday services would run to the coast at both Brighton and Eastbourne.

With the LBSCR profits dropping in 1884 the LBSCR stopped its direct services to London and instead ran a shuttle service between Oak Hill and Eridge, this connected with services to London, Brighton and Eastbourne. This change meant that the LB&SCR no longer needed to keep main line engines at Oak Hill and before long the only LB&SCR locomotive remaining was “Oak Hill” the Manning Wardle that had originally built and opened the line, with an E1 bringing in goods trains and taking on coal and water at Oak Hill before returning to Groombridge light engine to take more goods.

In the 1890’s the station at Oak Hill was renovated and during this work weather proof tiles were hung around the upper floor.

In 1903 with Stroudley’s Terriers being withdrawn number 76 “Hailsham” was overhauled and moved to Oak Hill to run the passenger services, once this arrived “Oak Hill” was withdrawn for overhaul and then returned to the branch to look after the goods between Groombridge and Oak Hill.

The services on the branch remained quite steady until the outbreak of WWI when the army was given control of the manor house for use as a training camp for new recruits, this saw an influx of Locomotive types hauling troop trains and supplies for the camp.

For the duration of the war the supplies for the army camp were unloaded on the platform instead of the goods shed, all unloading was carried out by the troops who would then carry them back to the camp as part of their training.

Following the end of hostilities the LB&SCR reinstated services to London hauled by an I3 class tank engine that was now permanently allocated to Oak Hill. The services remained largely unchanged after the grouping in 1923.

I hope you enjoyed, and don't forget to check back later for another update.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5

Guest Midland Mole

Fantastic history, really fascinating to read. And congrats on the milestone. I hope this thread continues to grow so more people see your marvellous work! :)

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex,

We can come back next year and see how many more followers I have gained! Although before too long I am going to have to do some work on the other layout! You'll all have to come follow me other there instead!!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oak Hill anniversary post number 2:

I have recreated some of the images of when I collected the layout and shortly after so we can all enjoy the difference that has occurred over the last year

The station area:

post-22762-0-32557000-1485272243_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-95273000-1485272249_thumb.jpg

The approach:

post-22762-0-06797500-1485272246_thumb.jpg

Full length:

post-22762-0-90297900-1485272247_thumb.jpg

The loco yard (was originally a goods yard, but I didn't get any photos):

post-22762-0-58971000-1485272251_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-83534000-1485272253_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And now it is time for the third and final anniversary update for Oak Hill!! (and we have already picked up follower number 31!)

The official unveiling of LB&SCR Manning Wardle "Oak Hill" (It was in 2 pictures of the last update, but you didn't see that did you?)

post-22762-0-00471900-1485288462_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-14707800-1485288463_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-16083600-1485288464_thumb.jpg

I think it has come out quite well. I did consider other colours for it but I didn't think it would really fit in on the layout in industrial colours, maybe I could make one painted in Oak Hill Railway Company colours one day, but not at the moment.

It has been finished for about 2 weeks now and it a wonderful little engine, would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 6

The official unveiling of LB&SCR Manning Wardle "Oak Hill" (It was in 2 pictures of the last update, but you didn't see that did you?)

Cracking job - the transfers are really crisp, and of course perfect for the layout.  The footplate details are good, the only component missing now is the crew.

Looking at the second update, it's nice to see how the layout evolves in a year.  Perhaps the little things stand out the most, like adding the new grass scatter to the loco yard and mending the fence opposite the platform.  The new coal yard gives a strong purpose to the long siding, which I think adds a lot to the realism of the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I am hoping to get some Andrew Stadden figures for the crew. However I came home from work with a new car today and have some other purchases planned so that will have to wait until the bank balance recovers from the shock.

I agree it really is the small things making the big changes on the layout and I am looking forward to getting the rest of the layout grassed and ballasted.

Gary

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

I knew the loco would not disappoint, really excellent work there Gary! :)

I did catch a glimpse of it in the layout pics, so was hopeful that a post on it would follow shortly. The colour and the transfers look marvellous, it is a really lovely addition to the layout.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex,

I did put it in the earlier pics on purpose, hoping to tease someone!

I am so happy with how the transfers came out and have been looking forward to showing it off, but I felt it could wait until the year anniversary. I hope to get the tutorial on making transfers written up in the near future so keep an eye out.

Gary