The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and last weekend we did as promised and got trains running on South Park Quarry!! it was a very tense moment, not made any better by me not putting insulating fishplates on a set of points and causing a short the first time we tried! So this weekends job is to get the point motors installed, at which point the layout will be electrically complete and ready to play with!!

Can we manage to get it done? Find out by being there tomorrow at 9pm (BST) In the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream, including some wheels turning!!

Hope you enjoy!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well there is now work happening on Oak Hill 2 yet, but I have been spending money on it anyway, and today the new station building arrived!

1564569865_2021-08-0212_08_00.jpg.9f2e007f9f31a21f9bd69638e9bf725d.jpg

This is the Bachmann Sheffield Park building, which I got a very good deal on, and will be a big improvement on the scratch build one from the last layout!

Gary

• Like 5

• BlueLightning changed the title to The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - A new station for Oak Hill!
  • RMweb Gold

Well there will be no livestream this week, I am exhibiting at Tinkers Park in Hadlow Down with Uckfield MRC behind the new 00 gauge layout Framnock Bay, so tomorrow night I will be having a post-show rest instead.

I shall leave you with the review of last weekends livestream, when we got the point motors under South Park Quarry, and modified the points to improve their looks!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well it's been a while, I've had a week or so off, including no YouTube for over a week! but I'm back, and having finished the electronics on South Park Quarry (sort of) during the last livestream, we are going to have some fun playing trains this weekend!!

I have actually finished the electronics off camera to get the layout ready for the weekend, so all the point motors are setup, including an easy way of plugging in the power, and I have got a new DCC Controller in the form of an NCE Power Cab which is much more mobile than my old Lenz unit! So we have gone from having to lug all this between layouts:

1058591924_2021-08-0618_21_00.jpg.8afdeec8a75529d71c0eede7d3a7d4c4.jpg

To only needing to move this:

1986158187_2021-08-1017_56_15.jpg.81b9f7bcab9f35f3f294c9d8cc7c439e.jpg

That will make operating my various layouts much easier, so now the layout has a nice simple control panel made up of the NCE socket, and a mimic panel with switches to throw the points, as I still like analogue point control:

2033057654_2021-08-1019_42_17.jpg.c59dba53cf52cd9c97753ae30881c119.jpg

318780962_2021-08-0112_24_51.jpg.fde03313923d04a63b4a261a2ceecfb1.jpg

the only thing I wasn't a fan of on the NCE was having to plug the power into the back of the board under the layout, I wanted the socket somewhere on the outside, so I made a board with sockets on for power for the NCE and the points:

389312456_2021-08-1220_45_56.jpg.021e3f31f07802d9b0e249cd3a0c38c7.jpg

The NCE power has a cable with a plug that goes into the back of the NCE board, meaning I have not altered that, just in case something goes wrong, and the one for the points has cables that go the the CDU, and here they are inserted into the back of the baseboard, and labelled (Which RMWeb wan't to put upside down, I can't be bothered to look into how to sort right now, I've got to go to work soon :P) the 2 sockets are different sizes so the plugs won't get plugged in the wrong way:2141614129_2021-08-1221_39_20.jpg.932ec7a8e71c866b3d3b9b36f89547cd.jpg

Oh, and I fitted the backscene, meaning we can start to get on with the scenery soon:

46643959_2021-08-1016_52_25.jpg.ed8a667f244448ac13d6df7f7ea78eef.jpg

848358608_2021-08-1016_52_31.jpg.ab6c9e4c44db97fc89ec295d0b8df595.jpg

Well thanks for looking everyone, I hope you enjoyed this more traditional update, I'll be back with the link for the livestream tomorrow!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It's livestream day!! and finally as we enter episode 115 we are going to play trains!! Join us tonight as we do some Inglenook puzzle solving!! This is one of those things that I hope will be able to work as a group activity, so it could all be fun and games tonight, but I expect it will mostly be me struggling with the 3 link couplings with the camera in the way!! Either way I'm sure it'll make good viewing!!

The inglenook rules can be found here for those that don't know them: http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/inglenook-rules.html

I'd best get back to fitting couplings to these wagons!

See you there!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We spent some time playing trains on South Park Quarry this weekend, and completed the shunting puzzle a few times, with the viewers working out the moves and me just following orders, it was good fun, as we will definitely be doing it more often!

That left us with an unfinished puzzle at the end of the livestream, so I decided to solve it and record me doing so! So a quick little video of some shunting on South Park Quarry!

Hope you enjoy!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2021 at 19:17, Caley Jim said:

One question, if I may, Gary.  How did Mr. Eareford acquire what appears to be a wagon of NBR design?

Curious of Biggar

It was the best available wagon when Mr Bareford was buying, and he's got 2 of them :P

That is sort of the truth, they are the Oxford wagons (obviously) and were the best thing I could get at the time, R C Bareford is my Granddad and is the person that introduced me to railway modelling once upon a time, his 2 wagons are lettered 19 and 36 to mark the year of his birth.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend! and it's back to doing some modelling on the livestream this weekend as we start work on the scenics for South Park Quarry!! Join us at 9pm (BST) to see it!!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream, although you probably know what happened already from my video the other day!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's livestream day!! and after last weeks fun playing trains on the layout, it's time to get back to work this week and do some scenic work!! So we will be planning the shed area, modifying the kits, and maybe even  installing some of it! (oh and don't forget some track painting)

See you there at 9pm!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! Join us tomorrow night at 9pm (BST) as we make some more progress on the scenics for South Park Quarry, I am really enjoying this build, and the layout on the whole, it's spend all week on my coffee table being played with!! I've not played trains this much for years!! and I can't wait to have even more done on it!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, until then I will leave you with the review of last weekends livestream!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend, and tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) we will be getting on with even more scenics on South Park Quarry, including some extra detail to what we have already made! So make sure you join us then to see it live, maybe we will even manage some time shunting some wagons around!

I will be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream.

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's livestream day!! and tonight we are continuing with the scenic work on South Park Quarry, including some extra details to bits we have already made!!

Join us tonight at 9pm (BST) as we get on, and hopefully have an evening of great progress!!

See you there!!

• Like 2