The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

The siding in front of the goods shed is deceptively long, using a Terrier I can fit loco + 4 without encroaching on the shed, which almost fills the coal siding, I can't see me using more than that in a single shunting move.

Yes, but you will have to remove wagons from the approach to the goods shed to do this: extra work which a real railway would try to avoid.

I suspect that on the real railway, such kickbacks (e.g. at Hailsham) were shunted by a horse, or a man with a pinch-bar.

But it’s your railway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Regularity said:

but you will have to remove wagons from the approach to the goods shed to do this: extra work which a real railway would try to avoid.

This is true, my plan on this was that there would only be one goods train a day, so as long as it is properly marshalled I can cut down on the complicated extra moves, I could be wrong on this.

12 hours ago, Regularity said:

I suspect that on the real railway, such kickbacks (e.g. at Hailsham) were shunted by a horse, or a man with a pinch-bar.

This is not something I had thought about, but I suspect you may be right, a pinch-bar in the case of Hailsham, as there are no facilities for shunting horses on any of the track plans I have

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Do you really need a sofa?:rolleyes:

Yes :P

Some would describe it as "The most comfortable sofa in the world" and it is going nowhere, and when I say nowhere I mean it was such a pain to get it in the house that if I ever move out it's a free gift for the new owner!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and we are going to be back with some work on the buildings for SPQ, finishing them off, and jumping right out of my comfort zone with some weathering!!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream! See if you can spot the editing mistake I missed!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going to say there will be a last minute change to the content of tonight's livestream, but there might be a last minute change to the content of tonight's livestream!

There will definitely be a livestream though, tonight at 9pm (BST) so make sure you come and join us to see what happens, and what we get done!!

See you there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

LAST MINUTE CANCELLATION!!

I started feeling ill at about 5ish, very tired, headachy, stomach ache, and general cold symptoms, I was hoping I would feel better after eating, I don't I feel worse, Hopefully I'll be better after some sleep

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

LAST MINUTE CANCELLATION!!

I started feeling ill at about 5ish, very tired, headachy, stomach ache, and general cold symptoms, I was hoping I would feel better after eating, I don't I feel worse, Hopefully I'll be better after some sleep

Have you been in contact with children? Seasonal start of term colds are much more unpleasant this year, there having been over a year without regular top-ups to the population's immunity. Take it easy, keep warm, get some sleep.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Have you been in contact with children?

Indeed I have, as a single parent it's quite hard to avoid, I had assumed something like that, and I will definitely be getting an early night

• Friendly/supportive 5

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Have you been in contact with children? Seasonal start of term colds are much more unpleasant this year, there having been over a year without regular top-ups to the population's immunity. Take it easy, keep warm, get some sleep.

Indeed, I am suffering from one such myself at the moment, having been staying last weekend at our daughter's house (5 minutes walk up the road) while she and her husband went off to celebrate significant birthdays.  We were nominally looking after the two grandchildren and two cats, not sure that's how it worked out.  Our grandson developed a cold on the Sunday night and, being a generous little soul, especially when it comes to germs, kindly passed it on to his old Papa!  :(

As usual in these circumstances I am treating it with a glass of 'medicine', in front of me as I type, (Balvenie Single Malt).   Not sure it does anything for the cold, but at least it makes you feel better!  :D

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Well after a week of up and down health I am feeling all better now (Wednesday was the worst day, I was so ill I could barely stand up!), so am getting ready to try again at the livestream finishing the buildings on South Park Quarry! Join us tomorrow night at 9pm (BST) to see how we get on!!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime I don't have any new content for you to enjoy because I've not felt well enough to make any!! So enjoy your own trains :P

Thanks for looking,

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I rather enjoyed the inglenook shunting puzzle. It got me thinking about doing something similar myself until I reflected that it wouldn't really work very well with nine identical Midland D299s...

Isn't there a rule about having any two wagons identical?

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I rather enjoyed the inglenook shunting puzzle. It got me thinking about doing something similar myself until I reflected that it wouldn't really work very well with nine identical Midland D299s...

Tell that to the yard foreman at Toton.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, BlueLightning said:

She's right it's not big being on these boards,

That's a bit longer than I'd thought: headshunt three wagons plus small engine, longest siding five wagons, say 3" each = 33" plus 6" point gives 39" or about 1 m. I hadn't allowed for the point being a double slip (it was off-camera).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and it's time to do some more work on the end of the layout you don't see when shunting! as we are going to start the landscaping!! (note, may also include views of the shunting end :P) So join us at 9pm (BST) tomorrow so that you don't miss it!!

I didn't do a review of last weekends livestream since all we did was shunt, so I can't leave you with that, but if you miss it you can go and rewatch the livesteam :jester:

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, see you then!!

Gary

• Like 1