The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

I mean... I have one, in SR livery, it's just that should there have been one at the show (ahem...) then it would have been nice to have gained a temporary LBSCR brake van until I can get an earlier one!

• Like 1

From http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/94/7f04-lbscr-stroudley-goods-brake-van/

"The lantern roof lookouts seem to have been removed between 1900 and 1910. From 1920 some of them were close coupled in pairs to give extra braking power. Revenue earning vans disappeared by 1926 but at least one departmental one lasted until 1938. There were also 2 or 3 on the Isle of Wight Central Railway, but these had detail differences."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sem,

The good news for you (and I guess everyone else!) is for the Stroudley brake I did my own drawings, so I can freely share them here for anyone to use!! These were done with some reliable pictures I had, and measurements that Linny got for me, it has since been compared to a Roxey kit of the same diagram and matches perfectly.

The initial build was covered way back on page 43 here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107470-oak-hill-lbscr-secr-1905ish/page-43&do=findComment&comment=2813838

post-22762-0-60156100-1548024755_thumb.jpg

Stroudley 1881 brake van.pdf

Enjoy!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Terrier in Scotland? A real pity they were only (to my knowledge) on the Caley system, so I can't justify one on the Edinburgh club's NB layouts.

Probably not much use, but one of the Terriers sold to the Admiralty (37 Southdown) worked at the Mine Depot in Grangemouth around 1919 - 1920. (Source: Brian Haresnape's Stroudley Locomotives,​ page 57.)

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 2

Hi Gavin.

With the market being flooded with new Terriers, the used market should indeed also be flooded with displaced older models and kits...as seems to have happened with some other releases...

Here's hoping that you manage to get one (at least) of every Terrier built.;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's hoping that you manage to get one (at least) of every Terrier built. ;)

That is genuinely the plan!! The kids think I'm insane for wanting 50 Terriers, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well!! (only 42 to go!)

I've been a fan of your work for a long time.

An absolute honour to come from someone with skills such as yourself sir!! Your work was one of the things that inspired me to try "proper" modelling!!

and just because we can, how about we end this post with a family photo!!!

post-22762-0-39010800-1548110265_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

That Stroudley brake is looking good. I'm glad you've enjoyed building, though I note you're still missing a few parts - I'd suggest adding the end steps and the door ventilators before priming and painting. I'm hearing encouraging noises about the laser cutter, but still no news as yet. As evidenced by the C2X, I'm doing my utmost to empty your pockets and provide you with more Brighton-y goodness!

A Terrier in Scotland? A real pity they were only (to my knowledge) on the Caley system, so I can't justify one on the Edinburgh club's NB layouts.

Those terriers got around as there were a few that ended up by the Highland Railway at the naval base which I can't remember the name of for some reason!!!

They, of course, are a Highland Railway loco anyway....

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those terriers got around as there were a few that ended up by the Highland Railway at the naval base which I can't remember the name of for some reason!!!

37 and 38 (the one I'm doing) worked as shunters at Invergordon Naval Base and the admiralty sold them off in 1919 once the treaty had been signed. I think they still stayed in Scotland after that.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

They, of course, are a Highland Railway loco anyway....

Stroudley didn't manage to build many new engines in his short time in charge at Inverness but his influence there was profound. Those terriers would have felt very much at home.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

He build three terriers there, so although the second series (those soft southern ones) had a few differences, they are still Highland locos.....

Invergordan, that's the place!

Having converted one of the Hornby ones to be a proper one, I was quite disappointed at how poorly it ran, its just so light. I've rammed as much lead into it as I can and that has improved things. I do wonder if I should scrap it and build it again around a K's kit, so that it can have more weight and a much better chassis with a decent motor...

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Yes the Hornby terriers are a bit hit and miss with running qualities, some are great, some can't pull the skin off a rice pudding!!

If you do decide you need to get rid of that one, I have always fancied a Highland Terrier!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I like the K's one, nice a heavy something the Hornby one has always lacked! Mine didn't come with wheels though so I can't comment on those!

I really should get on with that model. For those that can't remember I was turning it into an E1, with the Model rail ones coming I plan on giving it a larger boiler and building it as Number 157 Barcelona, which was done specifically for the Polgate - Eridge (Cuckoo) Line, so perfect for use on Hailsham!

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Branchlines do a etched chassis kit for the terrier, which I guess is designed to fit the K's body. I'm tempted to get one and have a play...

Plenty of butchery to change the boiler, you'll probably just end up with the cab and tank sides left...

Andy G

• Like 1