The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Either way however, they look much better for a few rather easy jobs.

They certainly do. I've not really kept up on the differences between the 'block train' and 'main line' third brakes, with differences in the internal positions, but are you going on to add more oil lamps? Or are they in fact not required?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The way I have done them they are much more like the mainline stock now rather than the suburbans, the mainline brakes were originally built with 2 lamps over the passenger compartments, with ones built later under Billinton having a lamp over each partition, so yes more lamps will be needed, I think the way ahead with this is to design and 3D print lamps that match the Hornby offering, and giving it one per compartment before repainting the roof.

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Quick announcement! I got a new job!! As a lot of people here may well know, I have been exclusively self employed for quite a long time (10+ years), however the nature of the work I am doing has changed considerably over the last year, and become something I don't really enjoy, while I am not giving this up, I am winding it back and doing less.

As a result this has given me a lot of free time, and I'm not very good at free time, so I have gotten myself a part time job for the other days of the week. At my local model shop!! So starting tomorrow I will be able to be found behind the counter of Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne! If anyone is local, then do pop in and say hi!!

Gary

437014776_2021-04-0315_32_48.jpg.7c65681f2da8d86b3aec0bc2722df237.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• BlueLightning changed the title to The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - Gary got a new job!
  • RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

As a result this has given me a lot of free time, and I'm not very good at free time, so I have gotten myself a part time job for the other days of the week. At my local model shop!! So starting tomorrow I will be able to be found behind the counter of Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne! If anyone is local, then do pop in and say hi!!

Congratulations on your new employment. With your knowledge and skill set, I hope the first task your new employer gives you is to get out the paint and brushes and make the shop frontage a better match to Stroudley locomotive livery!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, I must admit I am both excited and quite nervous to be re-entering the world of the employed

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

With your knowledge and skill set, I hope the first task your new employer gives you is to get out the paint and brushes and make the shop frontage a better match to Stroudley locomotive livery!

The shop has been painted those colours since it first opened in the early 1960s, even I think it would be sacrilege to put it into Stroudley livery! The colours certainly help it stand out against the other shops though!

Gary

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Quick announcement! I got a new job!! ... So starting tomorrow I will be able to be found behind the counter of Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne! If anyone is local, then do pop in and say hi!!

Gary

Many congratulations (although very well deserved, too!). I'm so pleased for you.

I must admit I thought the Centre had closed, so I'm also happy to hear I was wrong. I'd better get on that No 12 bus to Eastbourne ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll have to pop in again soon, not been in much since Trevor passed, I spent many an hour chatting with him. Sad that it's the only model shop left in the town. Back in the day you also has Scalerail in Crown Street, Model Maker racing (later Modelzone), Robertsons in Winston Crescent, a small but well stocked shop upstairs in the Enterprise centre (name forgotten) and Gamleys in the Arndale that had a model section upstairs and also sold model railways. 6 shops in one town where I could even buy N gauge!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Many congratulations (although very well deserved, too!). I'm so pleased for you.

I must admit I thought the Centre had closed, so I'm also happy to hear I was wrong. I'd better get on that No 12 bus to Eastbourne ...

Thanks Ian, it did close briefly after Trevor passed, before the sale to Sebastian (The current owner) had been finalised, I hope to see you in there soon!

2 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

I'll have to pop in again soon, not been in much since Trevor passed, I spent many an hour chatting with him. Sad that it's the only model shop left in the town. Back in the day you also has Scalerail in Crown Street, Model Maker racing (later Modelzone), Robertsons in Winston Crescent, a small but well stocked shop upstairs in the Enterprise centre (name forgotten) and Gamleys in the Arndale that had a model section upstairs and also sold model railways. 6 shops in one town where I could even buy N gauge!

I remember going into ScaleRail, ModelZone, and Gamleys many many times. I don't remember Robertsons in Winston Crescent, (I worked at One Stop there back in 2004) and it was very rare I went in the Enterprise Centre when I was young, so I can't help with a name there. If you pop down you must being some of those wonderful N gauge SECR locos with you! I'd love to see them up close!!

Gary

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I remember going into ScaleRail, ModelZone, and Gamleys many many times. I don't remember Robertsons in Winston Crescent, (I worked at One Stop there back in 2004) and it was very rare I went in the Enterprise Centre when I was young, so I can't help with a name there. If you pop down you must being some of those wonderful N gauge SECR locos with you! I'd love to see them up close!!

Robertson is now, I believe, a Fox & Sons so a couple of doors along from One Stop. The shop in the Enterprise Centre was in one of those units upstairs that no one knows are up there, it didn't last long.

I'll try to remember to bring some locos with me when passing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Quick announcement! I got a new job!! As a lot of people here may well know, I have been exclusively self employed for quite a long time (10+ years), however the nature of the work I am doing has changed considerably over the last year, and become something I don't really enjoy, while I am not giving this up, I am winding it back and doing less.

Gary

Lovely! If I ever find myself in Eastbourne (not impossible considering my work) I'll stick my head in and say hello!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Lovely! If I ever find myself in Eastbourne (not impossible considering my work) I'll stick my head in and say hello!

Thanks Red,

Failing work, it's a lovely seaside holiday town, and I hear holidays in the UK are the in thing this year!

What do you mean "If it's so lovely why did I move away?" :jester:

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Was just about to ask that.

I moved from the seaside tourist town, to the 5x smaller semi-rural farm town 7 miles up the road, plus I get a nice commute through the country now, who wouldn't make that move?

Gary

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I moved from the seaside tourist town, to the 5x smaller semi-rural farm town 7 miles up the road, plus I get a nice commute through the country now, who wouldn't make that move?

Gary

Fair. Can understand now you say that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2021 at 10:45, BlueLightning said:

Hi Stephen,

The couplings I am using are Smiths LP-8A having used a few different types over the years I find these ones have the best trade off between looks and usability, others may disagree.

As for the end windows, I am undecided, so far I have left them alone, it would definitely look better if I cut away the extra panel, but then I would need to fix the lining, and at the moment I am not confident enough that I could match the finish on the carriages.

Either way however, they look much better for a few rather easy jobs.

587966197_2021-04-1209_17_17.jpg.a43b6db61ee00d009bcacc3539571d9d.jpg

Gary

Gary,

I'm not sure how much use they will be to you, but I have Gary at 247 etch up some Highland Railway carriage fittings for my scratchbuilds, that included things like carriage end steps, door handles, V hangers and commode handles. The commode handles are of much the same shape as yours on the above photo. 

I'm not sure if Mozzer has any of my etches still in stock, but it might be worth asking him, if you need to an order together, I'm happy to take some more of the sheet to make it viable (although my modelling seems to have died a death at the minute....)

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, uax6 said:

I'm not sure how much use they will be to you, but I have Gary at 247 etch up some Highland Railway carriage fittings for my scratchbuilds, that included things like carriage end steps, door handles, V hangers and commode handles. The commode handles are of much the same shape as yours on the above photo. 

Cheers Andy,

These could use with some replacement end steps, but that would mean touching up the paintwork after, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort, otherwise Roxey supplies etches for LBSC pattern bits, and there is no v hangers needed for these brakes, there is almost nothing to see on the bottom due to the Westinghouse brakes, Hornby have managed to model those bits reasonably accurately.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Congratulations - may even be our nearest model shop here in the Low Weald.

Thanks Tom,

The other local shops I can think of are Morris Models in Lancing, and Compass House in Rotherfield, other than that I'm not sure there is any!

Gary

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that's day 1 over, it was really busy, and really nice chatting to customers, who were all very pleased the shop was open again, we even managed to get my hours finally worked out, I'm going to be in the shop Tuesday - Friday from 9:30am until 2:30pm each week, still gives me enough time to do the bits for my "real" job, and gives me lots more pennies to spend on models!

Gary

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Well that's day 1 over, it was really busy, and really nice chatting to customers, who were all very pleased the shop was open again, we even managed to get my hours finally worked out, I'm going to be in the shop Tuesday - Friday from 9:30am until 2:30pm each week, still gives me enough time to do the bits for my "real" job, and gives me lots more pennies to spend on models!

Gary

Gosh - that's a lot of time to be surrounded by models for sale...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and following last weekends play with some RTR carriages I thought we would make a change today and go with some wagon kits!!

These were sent to me by @Pre Grouping fan after I asked for some projects from viewers due to my slowly dwindling supply of kits, and I look forward to working on them tomorrow night!!

I'll bring you the link tomorrow, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 4