Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Many congratulations (although very well deserved, too!). I'm so pleased for you.

I must admit I thought the Centre had closed, so I'm also happy to hear I was wrong. I'd better get on that No 12 bus to Eastbourne ...

 

Thanks Ian, it did close briefly after Trevor passed, before the sale to Sebastian (The current owner) had been finalised, I hope to see you in there soon!

 

2 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

I'll have to pop in again soon, not been in much since Trevor passed, I spent many an hour chatting with him. Sad that it's the only model shop left in the town. Back in the day you also has Scalerail in Crown Street, Model Maker racing (later Modelzone), Robertsons in Winston Crescent, a small but well stocked shop upstairs in the Enterprise centre (name forgotten) and Gamleys in the Arndale that had a model section upstairs and also sold model railways. 6 shops in one town where I could even buy N gauge!

 

 

 

I remember going into ScaleRail, ModelZone, and Gamleys many many times. I don't remember Robertsons in Winston Crescent, (I worked at One Stop there back in 2004) and it was very rare I went in the Enterprise Centre when I was young, so I can't help with a name there. If you pop down you must being some of those wonderful N gauge SECR locos with you! I'd love to see them up close!!

 

Gary

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

 

I remember going into ScaleRail, ModelZone, and Gamleys many many times. I don't remember Robertsons in Winston Crescent, (I worked at One Stop there back in 2004) and it was very rare I went in the Enterprise Centre when I was young, so I can't help with a name there. If you pop down you must being some of those wonderful N gauge SECR locos with you! I'd love to see them up close!!

 

Robertson is now, I believe, a Fox & Sons so a couple of doors along from One Stop. The shop in the Enterprise Centre was in one of those units upstairs that no one knows are up there, it didn't last long.

I'll try to remember to bring some locos with me when passing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Quick announcement! I got a new job!! As a lot of people here may well know, I have been exclusively self employed for quite a long time (10+ years), however the nature of the work I am doing has changed considerably over the last year, and become something I don't really enjoy, while I am not giving this up, I am winding it back and doing less.

As a result this has given me a lot of free time, and I'm not very good at free time, so I have gotten myself a part time job for the other days of the week. At my local model shop!! So starting tomorrow I will be able to be found behind the counter of Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne! If anyone is local, then do pop in and say hi!!

 

Gary

 

437014776_2021-04-0315_32_48.jpg.7c65681f2da8d86b3aec0bc2722df237.jpg

Lovely! If I ever find myself in Eastbourne (not impossible considering my work) I'll stick my head in and say hello!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Lovely! If I ever find myself in Eastbourne (not impossible considering my work) I'll stick my head in and say hello!

 

Thanks Red,

 

Failing work, it's a lovely seaside holiday town, and I hear holidays in the UK are the in thing this year!

 

What do you mean "If it's so lovely why did I move away?" :jester:

 

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Was just about to ask that.

 

I moved from the seaside tourist town, to the 5x smaller semi-rural farm town 7 miles up the road, plus I get a nice commute through the country now, who wouldn't make that move?

 

Gary

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

 

I moved from the seaside tourist town, to the 5x smaller semi-rural farm town 7 miles up the road, plus I get a nice commute through the country now, who wouldn't make that move?

 

Gary

Fair. Can understand now you say that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2021 at 10:45, BlueLightning said:

Hi Stephen,

 

The couplings I am using are Smiths LP-8A having used a few different types over the years I find these ones have the best trade off between looks and usability, others may disagree.

 

As for the end windows, I am undecided, so far I have left them alone, it would definitely look better if I cut away the extra panel, but then I would need to fix the lining, and at the moment I am not confident enough that I could match the finish on the carriages.

 

Either way however, they look much better for a few rather easy jobs.

 

587966197_2021-04-1209_17_17.jpg.a43b6db61ee00d009bcacc3539571d9d.jpg

 

Gary

 

Gary,

 

I'm not sure how much use they will be to you, but I have Gary at 247 etch up some Highland Railway carriage fittings for my scratchbuilds, that included things like carriage end steps, door handles, V hangers and commode handles. The commode handles are of much the same shape as yours on the above photo. 

 

I'm not sure if Mozzer has any of my etches still in stock, but it might be worth asking him, if you need to an order together, I'm happy to take some more of the sheet to make it viable (although my modelling seems to have died a death at the minute....)

 

Andy G

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uax6 said:

I'm not sure how much use they will be to you, but I have Gary at 247 etch up some Highland Railway carriage fittings for my scratchbuilds, that included things like carriage end steps, door handles, V hangers and commode handles. The commode handles are of much the same shape as yours on the above photo. 

 

Cheers Andy,

 

These could use with some replacement end steps, but that would mean touching up the paintwork after, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort, otherwise Roxey supplies etches for LBSC pattern bits, and there is no v hangers needed for these brakes, there is almost nothing to see on the bottom due to the Westinghouse brakes, Hornby have managed to model those bits reasonably accurately.

 

Gary

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Congratulations - may even be our nearest model shop here in the Low Weald.

 

Thanks Tom,

 

The other local shops I can think of are Morris Models in Lancing, and Compass House in Rotherfield, other than that I'm not sure there is any!

 

Gary

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's day 1 over, it was really busy, and really nice chatting to customers, who were all very pleased the shop was open again, we even managed to get my hours finally worked out, I'm going to be in the shop Tuesday - Friday from 9:30am until 2:30pm each week, still gives me enough time to do the bits for my "real" job, and gives me lots more pennies to spend on models!

 

Gary

  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Well that's day 1 over, it was really busy, and really nice chatting to customers, who were all very pleased the shop was open again, we even managed to get my hours finally worked out, I'm going to be in the shop Tuesday - Friday from 9:30am until 2:30pm each week, still gives me enough time to do the bits for my "real" job, and gives me lots more pennies to spend on models!

 

Gary

 

Gosh - that's a lot of time to be surrounded by models for sale...

  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the weekend!! and following last weekends play with some RTR carriages I thought we would make a change today and go with some wagon kits!!

 

These were sent to me by @Pre Grouping fan after I asked for some projects from viewers due to my slowly dwindling supply of kits, and I look forward to working on them tomorrow night!!

 

I'll bring you the link tomorrow, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weekends livestream!

 

Hope you enjoy,

 

Gary

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the weekend again! and so far my new job hasn't made me want to give up YouTube!! So join us tomorrow night as we finish the wagons from POWSides!! It's now time for transfers!!!

 

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime you can catch up with what we have done so far with the review of last weekends stream below!

 

Hope you enjoy!!

 

Gary

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the weekend again, and I still haven't been put off railway modelling by the new job, so come along tomorrow night at 9pm(UK) when we will be working on a vacuum formed LSWR passenger brake from Roxey Mouldings!! A totally new modelling medium for the channel!!

 

I will be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime, please enjoy the review of last weeks livestream where we finished off work on the POWSides wagons!!

 

Hope you enjoy!!

 

Gary

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

It's the weekend again, and I still haven't been put off railway modelling by the new job, so come along tomorrow night at 9pm(UK) when we will be working on a vacuum formed LSWR passenger brake from Roxey Mouldings!! A totally new modelling medium for the channel!!

 

I look forward to seeing the vacuum-formed vacuum brake on this vacuum-formed brake.

  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

It's the weekend again, and I still haven't been put off railway modelling by the new job, so come along tomorrow night at 9pm(UK) when we will be working on a vacuum formed LSWR passenger brake from Roxey Mouldings!! A totally new modelling medium for the channel!!

 

Idle curiosity, but how old is the vacuum formed kit from Roxey? I think they were some of Dave H's first products and, in some of the early versions, you had to cut out the windows. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • BlueLightning changed the title to The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - Goodbye Oak Hill

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.