The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend again! Tomorrow will see some more work on the SE&CR Invalid sallon from Branchlines, we had a very active chat with much fun being had last week, so make sure you don't miss it this week!!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime you can catch up with last weeks work here:

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I didn't get to watch yesterday. Also I now see that the cat miaowed at me at the critical moment on the Sunday before last, so I missed the forming of the tumblehome. I've tried several methods and not been entirely happy with any. When I've tried the method you've used, I've followed the advice to use a mouse mat. I think that the ones I've tried have been too unyielding - perhaps current mouse mats are harder than ones of yore? So I'll have to give the towel a go.

Re. "tumblehome", @AVS1998, @Skinnylinny, whilst you are correct that in naval architecture, this refers to an inward curve above the widest point of the vessel, I will argue that its use in railway carriage architecture to denote the inward curve below the waist is sufficiently established as an alternative meaning of the word. On the other hand, for "turnunder" I have so far found one piece of evidence as to what term railway carriage designers and builders used to describe this feature; a pair of drawings listed in the Derby carriage & wagon drawing register and held by the Midland Railway Study Centre as Items 88-D0265 and 88-D0500, dating from 1914, for 54 ft steel-underframe corridor carriages "without end turnunder".

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Indeed the cat called at just the wrong time, and I got the second side done relativity early last night, helped somewhat by my remembering to change the tip on the soldering iron after last weeks livestream.

My current mousemat is certainly quite firm, and the tea towel has the advantage that you can adjust how hard it is by folding it more! The technique worked so well that I am thinking of doing a second carriage as a video series so that I can do a video showing the method making it easier to find and reference, I would be very interested to hear how you get on with trying it. I will certainly feel very accomplished if I have helped you improve your building!!

I feel you are right about the use of tumblehome, and it is at least recognised by railway modellers, so everyone knows what it means.

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I hope the towel method goes well for you Chris!

I am very happy with how it turned out on the SE&CR Invalid Saloon, I will try and get a picture of the sides tomorrow, once the lighting is better, provided I remember

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! Join us tomorrow when we will be making a start on the underframe of the SE&CR Invalid Saloon, the progress so far has been much quicker than I expected!

Catch up with the progress so far with the video below, and I'll be back tomorrow with the link for the livestream!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it's not modelling of my own, but I did take delivery of some new "generic" carriages from Hornby in LBSC livery (The only livery they should be supplied in!) and they look rather nice behind one of my terriers!

713246814_2021-02-0111_28_42.jpg.ee61b94bba014e02f3c855738277004c.jpg

and they fit in well at Lancing Carriage Works! Each of these rows is a different manufacturer, Bachmann at the rear, then Linny's Laser cut ones, then K's, then Hornby (can you tell how generic they are?)

191804896_2021-02-0111_52_59.jpg.3fefe958b30444fa5183dc2f9cdeeb7d.jpg

and just for @Compound2632 I have just finished writing the notes for my review, I shall have to type them into something that actually makes sense now!

267633455_2021-02-0219_15_24.jpg.3cae30ac380af0565b7f8b71e3bbbbb1.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll be back with a proper review soon.

Gary

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend! and almost time to point a camera at the workbench again! So join us tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) as we continue with the underframe for the SE&CR Invalid Saloon, and hope that YouTube's chat system isn't broken this week!

I'll return with the link tomorrow, in the mean time please enjoy the review of last week's livestream!

Hope you enjoy!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Oh now, I'm sure you could do a grand job, look at all those wonderful locos you've been bashing! You've got the skill, but I bet you could also bash something similar to the saloon out of the old Triang Clerestories!

Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Oh now, I'm sure you could do a grand job, look at all those wonderful locos you've been bashing! You've got the skill, but I bet you could also bash something similar to the saloon out of the old Triang Clerestories!

Gary

That's exactly why I need to only be building in plastic!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and following the great progress on the Branchines SE&CR Invalid Saloon, we will be bringing it very close to finished this weekend! Make sure you don't miss it!

But before that make sure you catch up on the build by watching the review of last weekends livestream!

Hope you enjoy, I'll be back with this weekends link tomorrow!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's Livestream Day!! and tonight we will be continuing the Branchlines SE&CR Invalid Saloon, which has moved very close to completion! and we will be doing it under my new much improved lightning setup!!

See you at 9pm (UK) for the fun!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The weekend has returned! and so have I! I have spent most of this week in a small room at the back of my house, finishing the slow conversion to a workshop / recording studio. (I also took some time off to get vaccinated against Covid!) and have finally done it! For some details see my posts on my website about it here and here. There is more to come about it soon!

In the meantime it is time to get ready for another livestream! and to celebrate the new workbench we have a new project!! (also because I don't have the brass in stock to make the roof for the SECR Invalid Saloon) So join us tomorrow night as we begin work on repainting my Southern liveried LB&SCR B1 class into Improved Engine Green!

I will be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime please enjoy the review of the last livestream to happen at my old workbench!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 4