The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - Joining the ranks of the 3D printers

Thanks for your thoughts Stephen, again they are very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

My concern about the dumb buffer is that it should be square or nearly so in profile. I do not think the join between the solebar and the additional piece would be visible on a wagon in reasonably good condition.

The current design does have the buffer as nearly square, with it only being 1mm taller than it is wide, however if you feel this would be square in common practice, then without evidence otherwise I shall change it and make it square, although I am wondering if what can be seen of the buffers in plate 105 shows them being narrower than they are tall?

Looking closely at the iron hoop, I think it is in a rebate making it flush or nearly so with the solebar on the bottom and sides but stands proud on the top.

I see what you mean, and shall change this so it is only raised above the buffer, and not on the sides, I shall put some lines around the buffer to represent it.

The angle iron on the inside face of the buffer and the headstock is consistent with the position of the bolts on the solebar - is there any additional photographic evidence for this? (Indeed, where did the data for the drawing come from?) Note the quite prominent washers for these bolts.

I'm not sure of any further evidence of this plate, again if it is more likely to be separate pieces of angle iron for each bolt then I shall edit accordingly.

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The end pillars are drawn to conform to typical Brighton practice - Plate 25 gives a good view. The washers aren't so prominent. I'd noticed from my Open A builds that the bolts are flush on the inside and that there is no additional ironwork - carriage bolts.

Just had a look, and plate 27 on the next page shows the washers being more prominent, I have been thinking about going back and redoing the bolts to be more "bolty" so I shall try and make the washers show as well when I do this (It's less effort than it seems most of the bolts are clones of each other and will all change when I change one)

On the chunky doorstops, I note the flat on the front - by design or by wear from repeated use?

I was assuming the flat is because of repeated use, if you look at plate 108 there is a newer design wagon freshly out shopped that has rounded doorstops

The wagon in Plate 107 is quite elderly and the wear on the upper edge of the curb rail and the bottom of the lower side plank is very evident. If you're modelling it a quarter of a century earlier, there would be much less sign of wear - compare the 1910 photo of 2-plank wagons, Plate 105.

These will look a lot less prominent on the print than it does in the CAD

As to the interior, what's a ballast wagon for? Ballast is one of the most simple loads to model!

This is true, especially when you live 10 miles from the ballast pit, and there is suitably small pieces available.

Dinky little axlebox napkins. Brighton men were evidently less messy ballasters than their counterparts on the North Western or Midland!

I was surprised by that as well, still not 100% sure how I am going to model them.

As you say, I'm sure the proof of the detail will be in the test printing.

Indeed, and it still won't be too late to change

Gary

• Like 3

Well Christmas may be over, but that doesn't mean our Christmas special is!! Join us tomorrow when we will finish @woko's 3D printed Stroudley brake van!!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime you can catch up with the progress we made last weekend with the review below!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 3

It's the weekend again! and this weekend we will be welcoming the new year, by finishing some old projects!! Join us at 9pm (UK) tomorrow to see what we manage!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime, I'll leave you with the review of last weeks livestream where we finished the 3D Printed LBSC brake van!

• Like 2

Well I currently have no internet, the whole town is down, and it's not expected back until after 9pm, so I guess no livestream tonight. I've got part 2 of the year in review planned for Tuesday, so at least there is something coming out this week

• Friendly/supportive 4
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Well I currently have no internet, the whole town is down, and it's not expected back until after 9pm, so I guess no livestream tonight. I've got part 2 of the year in review planned for Tuesday, so at least there is something coming out this week

This is unfortunate. May your internet recover speedily.

• Thanks 1

Well it took until 11:30pm for my internet to come back last Sunday! so there really was n chance of a livestream. However it has been going fine ever since, so let's have another go!

Tomorrow night we will be finishing off some outstanding projects! Join us at 9pm (UK) for some modelling goodness!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, however in the meantime I'll leave you with my 2020 year in review videos I hope to do some pictures for the thread soon, but I currently don't have time to write the post)

The first one is quite long, so make sure you have a nice beverage to watch it with! (Turns out I was busier last year than I realised!)

• Like 2

It's the weekend!! and we are starting our first big project of 2021!! Join us at 9pm (UK) tomorrow night as we start work on the SE&CR Invalid Saloon from Branchlines!! THis will also be the first etched coach kit on the channel! So don't miss it!!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow! In the meantime please enjoy the review of last weekends livestream!

Gary

• Like 2

I didn't forget to post the link because I have had a manic day, that was you!! Well OK, maybe it was me, but hopefully no one will notice!

Join us in just over an hour at 9pm (UK) as we start on our next big project, the SE&CR Invalid Saloon from Branchlines!!

See you there,

Gary

• Like 1

It's the weekend again! Tomorrow will see some more work on the SE&CR Invalid sallon from Branchlines, we had a very active chat with much fun being had last week, so make sure you don't miss it this week!!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime you can catch up with last weeks work here:

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2