The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

So its time to let you know what I have been up to whilst we have been talking about signals on here.

I have had the airbrush out again. This time with more than just primer and created a rather colourful pallet on my workbench:

post-22762-0-28552600-1491914363_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is in fact no primer left. The misses even came and had some fun painting the mahogany onto the carriages.

And not long after that I got a call from my friend who I had asked to do the transfers to rename my Terrier. I trusted him a lot more than myself to do the work and he did not disappoint as he has detailed the loco very nicely as well as renaming it:

post-22762-0-22428700-1491914364_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-08260800-1491914365_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-86666200-1491914365_thumb.jpg

He as well as renaming / Numbering the loco to be number 76 'Hailsham' he has; painted and lined the Westinghouse pump, lined the buffer shanks, painted the sand pipes, added lamp irons to the front and rear, picked out detail in the cab, painted the safely valves in correct colours, added missing boiler band in front of the cab and picked out the handrails in silver as per prototype. Giving me a Terrier with a lot more detail than I ever expected and I think we can agree it looks very good at the head of some LBSC 4 wheel coaches:

post-22762-0-88435500-1491914366_thumb.jpg

The ends on these have come out very nicely and I have painted over one window on each brake coach which I think gives them a much better look:

post-22762-0-72371900-1491914357_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-61490900-1491914358_thumb.jpg

And finally while feeling productive at the weekend I got the big paintbrush out and so now we shall never have to worry about seeing the living room border in the background again!

post-22762-0-38722600-1491914359_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-19303100-1491914360_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-95622900-1491914360_thumb.jpg

In the background of the last image you can see the start of the control panel I am making for the new 00 gauge layout being made at club. I will be focusing primarily on this until it is finished and while waiting for parts for the signals to arrive as we are stuck with very little to do at club until it is done.

Thanks for looking and as always I look forward to reading you comments,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the last couple of weeks have been spent mainly on the control panel for the club layout however I have done some modelling of my own as well.

Firstly I got a Slater's wagon kit cheap on eBay which gave me an enjoyable evening building it:

post-22762-0-61266600-1491914486_thumb.jpg

And I also ripped up the grounded van body that was on the layout as I wanted to use it as the coal merchants office however I decided that I wanted the doors slightly open and maybe model a couple of bits on the inside such as a desk and chair so it was dismantled and cut to make that happen. It has not been stuck back together properly yet so that I can put things in it:

post-22762-0-96462900-1491914506_thumb.jpg

That is all I have done for my own bits however I have been busy with other railway related things. Such as for a few months I have been working on a low priced DCC controller originally for my own use to prevent having to take the Lenz unit to shows once the exhibition layout is going, however I can now reveal that this controller will have its commercial launch at the Pevensey Bay MRC Exhibition on the 23rd July aiming for a price of £49.99

It was also my MRC's AGM last night and I have been elected as a director of the club giving me more responsibilities for club related things.

And to top it all I saw some images on line earlier and was inspired so for my next tick I will attempt to turn a battered Tri-ang 3F into an LB&SCR C2:

post-22762-0-13782000-1491914517_thumb.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_C2_class#/media/File:2436_at_Brighton_1948.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments much appreciated,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 7

Well the last couple of weeks have been spent mainly on the control panel for the club layout however I have done some modelling of my own as well.

Firstly I got a Slater's wagon kit cheap on eBay which gave me an enjoyable evening building it:

tMeakins.jpg

And I also ripped up the grounded van body that was on the layout as I wanted to use it as the coal merchants office however I decided that I wanted the doors slightly open and maybe model a couple of bits on the inside such as a desk and chair so it was dismantled and cut to make that happen. It has not been stuck back together properly yet so that I can put things in it:

coalMerchant1.jpg

That is all I have done for my own bits however I have been busy with other railway related things. Such as for a few months I have been working on a low priced DCC controller originally for my own use to prevent having to take the Lenz unit to shows once the exhibition layout is going, however I can now reveal that this controller will have its commercial launch at the Pevensey Bay MRC Exhibition on the 23rd July aiming for a price of £49.99

It was also my MRC's AGM last night and I have been elected as a director of the club giving me more responsibilities for club related things.

And to top it all I saw some images on line earlier and was inspired so for my next tick I will attempt to turn a battered Tri-ang 3F into an LB&SCR C2:

triang3f.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_C2_class#/media/File:2436_at_Brighton_1948.jpg

Gary

All good stuff.  Particularly like the job on the wagon kit. Look forward to seeing how the C2 comes along.  Have you drawings for the class?

Unfortunately no drawings I will be working from pictures for this. As long as people can tell its a C2 it should be OK.

Gary

I probably have an outline profile drawing in Russell's volume, any use?

Unfortunately no drawings I will be working from pictures for this. As long as people can tell its a C2 it should be OK.

Gary

Do you actually mean a C2? They were the original Victorian design, with a much smaller boiler, although as you will be replacing the firebox perhaps you can fit a smaller boiler at the same time. I think you'll have more luck with a C3 or the reboilered C2X classes, depending on which has a better match on the wheelbase. I can send you drawings of all three classes if you are interested, not to a particular scale but you can enlarge them as necessary to fit the chassis, whilst keeping the proportions.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Any drawing I could be sent from anyone would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Yes I would like to make a C2 as the C2X and C3 are both slightly to late for the intended time frame although I would love drawings of all 3 classes as I am planning a project with a slightly later time frame that would see things like H2 Atlantics I3s and other such things so both a C2X and a C3 could be found a home there, and I have plenty of Tri-ang 3fs to cut up to hopefully make something better than this model once I have a bit more experience.

Gary

• Like 1

Yes, I assumed C2 because of your period, and Russell has a couple of profile drawings in 4mm that I can send.  Will try later today.

I have no idea how close your donor gets to 5' drivers at 8' centres.

Nick's point is an important one, however, because the C2X appears to have a large diameter boiler, at a higher pitch, which certainly more resembles the bulk of your donor.  The key is whether you can fit the motor etc of your donor inside the slighter C2 profile.

A C2X means, what, 1908 at the earliest?  So I assume this would not be ideal for you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

I look forward to receiving the drawings later.

The wheelbase on the Tri-ang chassis works out at 7'9" + 8'3" so overall it is the right length but the centre wheel is slightly out and the wheels on the donor I am using, which is the 1970's version with separately fitted tyres are a scale 4'9" so again slightly out but hopefully close enough to look OK.

Yes C2x is 1908 otherwise that would be what I was building. I had not considered the C3 until Nick pointed it out but that is 1906 so still slightly to late and even if I were to bend the time frame of the layout slightly I want an engine in Stroudley's Goods Green which I don't believe the C2x or C3 ever wore, but I could be wrong on that.

The idea for the project came from seeing pictures of a model someone else had done of a C2 from the Airfix 4f which looked really good and in some respects better than I expect mine to turn out.

However despite this a later project will most likely be set in the Umber period to allow some of my other kits to have a proper home so a C2x and C3 could still appear later.

Gary

• Like 3

Just to whet your appetite, here are some out of copyright drawings of the various options available to you:

Stroudley's Jumbo C1 class

post-189-0-76949500-1466069329_thumb.png

Billinton C2 (with an E5 boiler)

post-189-0-55524800-1466069390_thumb.png

Billinton C2X (single dome option)

post-189-0-28182600-1466069440_thumb.png

Marsh's C3

post-189-0-96779500-1466069466_thumb.png

The Billinton locos have 8' 0" + 8' 0" wheelbase, the others are 7' 9" + 7' 6"

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A C2 Class Loco waits at the signal to enter Oak Hill. While an unidentified Terrier passes the other side of the signal box on its way to the shed. See Tuesdays update for more info.........

post-22762-0-74355600-1491914620_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So the time has come to reveal the C2 properly. No more teasing.

So without further ado a loco that need lining an identity and a coat of matt varnish:

post-22762-0-43191700-1491914682_thumb.jpg

The only loco harmed in the making of this was a Tri-ang 3F and it's tender to show the number of changes a photo of the loco next to one of my remaining 3Fs:

post-22762-0-50755800-1491914681_thumb.jpg

The tender has had it's top cut off and a new one built as well have having the rear steps removed and slight changes the the rest of the chassis, The Loco has had the top of it's firebox cut off and replaced with a round one, a new dome, a new funnel, a new smokebox door, a new cab front and roof. The sides have also been altered, The Westinghouse pump on the side has been scratch built, the recesses in the wheel arches have been filled, new handrails fitted and new buffers and coupling hooks front and back. It does not currently have a motor as I have some small Chinese motors I want to try in it to see if I can free up the cab space, if this works I will add a proper back head before putting in a crew.

A picture of the C2 bringing in a long goods train whilst a new terrier waits to take out the 4-wheelers showing the mock up I have made of the Signal Box:

post-22762-0-24237300-1491914683_thumb.jpg

And finally I have started work on making one of my Tri-ang brake vans look like an LBSC one (SR Diagram 1574). It is extremely undersize and will only be a temporary measure until I get a Stroudley brake van from Roxey Mouldings:

post-22762-0-78981500-1491914679_thumb.jpg

As always comments much appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

So the time has come to reveal the C2 properly. No more teasing.

So without further ado a loco that need lining an identity and a coat of matt varnish:

c22.jpg

The only loco harmed in the making of this was a Tri-ang 3F and it's tender to show the number of changes a photo of the loco next to one of my remaining 3Fs:

c21.jpg

The tender has had it's top cut off and a new one built as well have having the rear steps removed and slight changes the the rest of the chassis, The Loco has had the top of it's firebox cut off and replaced with a round one, a new dome, a new funnel, a new smokebox door, a new cab front and roof. The sides have also been altered, The Westinghouse pump on the side has been scratch built, the recesses in the wheel arches have been filled, new handrails fitted and new buffers and coupling hooks front and back. It does not currently have a motor as I have some small Chinese motors I want to try in it to see if I can free up the cab space, if this works I will add a proper back head before putting in a crew.

A picture of the C2 bringing in a long goods train whilst a new terrier waits to take out the 4-wheelers showing the mock up I have made of the Signal Box:

c23.jpg

And finally I have started work on making one of my Tri-ang brake vans look like an LBSC one (SR Diagram 1574). It is extremely undersize and will only be a temporary measure until I get a Stroudley brake van from Roxey Mouldings:

brake.jpg

As always comments much appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Quite a transformation.  The green looks good for Goods Green, what paint did you use?

I like what you are doing to that brake van.  Gives me an idea ....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I used Phoenix Precision p477 Stroudley Dark Olive which has been brush painted as my airbrush was not cooperating at the weekend.

I forgot to add to the list of changes that I cut out the skirts at the side and made a new bottom for the boiler so there is daylight visable. The original Tri-ang motor still fits with the boiler done like this.

and to aid with your ideas have a picture of what I did to the brake van last night:

post-22762-0-72829300-1491914779_thumb.jpg

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Time for the weekly update! I've not had a lot of time for big jobs this week due to building work at home however I have got the brake van I made finished and into a grey livery, although I think it might be a bit light at the moment:

post-22762-0-94412900-1491914832_thumb.jpg

But it does look good:

post-22762-0-80467100-1491914833_thumb.jpg

I also got some landscaping done where the coal merchant will be so that corner of the layoout is starting to take shape:

post-22762-0-52384500-1491914834_thumb.jpg

The new contours have been made with some DAS clay that I had lying around:

post-22762-0-33025900-1491914835_thumb.jpg

and I am very happy with how it is turning out:

post-22762-0-13969400-1491914836_thumb.jpg

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

I also got some landscaping done where the coal merchant will be so that corner of the layoout is starting to take shape:

The new contours have been made with some DAS clay that I had lying around:

DAS is great stuff for groundwork.  I thin it down to a slurry by soaking it in water.  It takes a few days for it to fully soften and it helps if you break it up from time to time.  If it's getting too thick add more water, if it looks too thin add more DAS.  You can spread it with a spatula or, with a thinner mix, a stiff brush, the latter especially good in goods yards, track side etc where only a thin layer for texturing and bedding in round buildings, walls etc is required.  Details like cart wheel ruts etc. can be scribed in while it is soft.  If you use the grey type, it can be coloured with powder, or artists acrylic, paint.  Just be aware that it dries much lighter than when it is wet!   It also has the advantage over plaster that you can blend new bits into bits that have already dried by soaking the edge of the latter to soften it.  Again, brushing over the joint helps to smooth it.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

So its Update time again. Although in this case its more of a lack-of-update as I have been working on things for club and I have finally started working on my exhibition layout again which can be found in its new home here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112756-hailsham-pre-ww1-lbsc-00-gauge/

Hope you all enjoy having a look.

Gary

So its Update time again. Although in this case its more of a lack-of-update as I have been working on things for club and I have finally started working on my exhibition layout again which can be found in its new home here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112756-hailsham-pre-ww1-lbsc-00-gauge/

Hope you all enjoy having a look.

Gary

It is a most impressive set up.

A Bachmann Umber E4 seems de rigueur.  What will you do for Billington-Panter bogie coaches? 

• RMweb Gold

For coaches it will mostly be scratch built although some old Tri-ang clerestories are in for a good cutting up as I am led to believe they can be made into rather reasonable Brighton coaches. Although I have lost the sources of where I had seen this done but I shall try anyway. And as for an E4 I have one in Southern green but would like to get hold of an Umber one as well.

Gary

• Like 2

For coaches it will mostly be scratch built although some old Tri-ang clerestories are in for a good cutting up as I am led to believe they can be made into rather reasonable Brighton coaches. Although I have lost the sources of where I had seen this done but I shall try anyway. And as for an E4 I have one in Southern green but would like to get hold of an Umber one as well.

Gary

Sounds like a plan.  I think the Umber ones are still available

• RMweb Gold

Yeah there is some on eBay and they go quite cheap. Unfortunately don't have much spare cash at the moment as my partners ex husband has been made redundant so we have lost his maintenance money which has hit hard but we are managing to keep our heads above water and hopefully it won't be to long until it's sorted

Gary

For coaches it will mostly be scratch built although some old Tri-ang clerestories are in for a good cutting up as I am led to believe they can be made into rather reasonable Brighton coaches. Although I have lost the sources of where I had seen this done but I shall try anyway. ....

Gary

Back in the 1960's there was an article in, I think, Model Railway Constructor, on creating a SR push-pull set from Tri-ang clerestories.  I distinctly remember it as it was my first attempt at modifying something.   I think i still have them somewhere!

Jim

• Like 2