The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't tell you at the moment as I'm not at home and don't have drawings or the model with me. I will get the drawings out and measure the model when I get home and then report back.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Right now that I'm home I have the ruler out and can tell you on the prototype the drivers have a 7'9" wheel base and my model has 33mm (Scale 8'3") making the driving wheels on the Tri-ang chassis 2mm to far apart.

And the overall wheelbase of the prototype is 15'9" and my model has an overall wheelbase of 63mm (Scale 15'9") putting the trailing wheel in the right place.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Thank you

Right now that I'm home I have the ruler out and can tell you on the prototype the drivers have a 7'9" wheel base and my model has 33mm (Scale 8'3") making the driving wheels on the Tri-ang chassis 2mm to far apart.

And the overall wheelbase of the prototype is 15'9" and my model has an overall wheelbase of 63mm (Scale 15'9") putting the trailing wheel in the right place.

Gary

The reason I ask is I am looking for a four coupled wheelbase of 7ft 3".

I am looking forward to seeing the Gladstone progress.  I find it hard to comment, though, because the jumble of colours and fillers makes it hard to judge how well it has come together so far, but I think you have the basis for a good model. I think a shot in grey primer will help us, and you, better to judge the success of the conversion and the degree of work the body still requires.  Have you fixed the hand rails and the air brake permanently?  If it were me, though I speak as one who has yet to get so far as trying what you are doing, I would leave the hand rails off until sanding and filling were complete. In fact, I might well paint and line the boiler bands first.

It is a clever project and I hope very much that it comes together successfully.  It is the sort of thing I have, so far, only thought of doing, so well done for doing something like this.  

Umber or IEG, and have you identified a source/method for the lining?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Edwardian,

Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean about the jumble of colours and filler. The handrails and and Westinghouse Pump are still removable for the time being so that I can get the body right.

The livery will be Improved Engine Green although I may make another one in Umber at a later date and for the lining I am going to make my own transfers as transfer paper is cheap and as I used to be a Web Developer for a living I can handle a bit of basic image editing, I am also writing a guide for making your own transfers and that will be printed as a follow-up article to the one I am currently writing about the Gladstone build.

I have done a bit more to the loco last night and it will be getting it's first coat of primer later, which will also be the first use of my airbrush so hopefully it turns out ok.

Thanks for looking

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Edwardian,

Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean about the jumble of colours and filler. The handrails and and Westinghouse Pump are still removable for the time being so that I can get the body right.

The livery will be Improved Engine Green although I may make another one in Umber at a later date and for the lining I am going to make my own transfers as transfer paper is cheap and as I used to be a Web Developer for a living I can handle a bit of basic image editing, I am also writing a guide for making your own transfers and that will be printed as a follow-up article to the one I am currently writing about the Gladstone build.

I have done a bit more to the loco last night and it will be getting it's first coat of primer later, which will also be the first use of my airbrush so hopefully it turns out ok.

Thanks for looking

Gary

I envy you the ability to do that.  I read with interest Peter Smith (Saltdean)'s volume on using printed paper.  Having tried Silhouette and Inkscape, I find that I am not adept at picking up these skills.  I am sure that I would face similar issues were I to attempt transfers.

I made slow progress on Silhouette and Inkscape, and what progress I made was by following the guides helpfully posted on RM.  Ultimately, I just could not see how I would ever get from that stage to using such programs for what I wanted, to cut coach sides or produce lining.  Faced with hours of frustration with no apparent prospect of ultimate success, I am afraid that I allowed myself to become thoroughly dispirited and reasoned that my time was more likely to be spent productively if I returned to my little cardboard houses.

As for Templot .... !  

So, I am impressed with this.  I suspect that the world needs Brighton lining.  it could certainly do with some Great eastern lining and lettering.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I must say it is a good skill to have and one I thought I would never be able to do but through many years of being forced to try led to me finally learning. I would like to try using a Silhouette cutter one day but they are out of my price range and to be honest I'm not sure I'm good enough for that.

I will be making my transfers using a guide I found on eBay which includes lining samples. The same seller has GNR and LNWR sheets available (He had SECR but I got that one to make transfers for my SECR locos). I have in the past considered the possibility that I could make some money by putting things like transfers on the market and even started making a website for it last year however so far thats all I've done. In the meantime if you want help with anything like that then feel free to ask.

I totally understand finding it hard to get used to image editing programs and in fact for my transfers I use Adobe Illustrator which is not an image editor and is in fact publishing software however it allows me to size things using mm or inches and set them on a page so that I know they will fit, and besides your "little cardboard houses" are very impressive I struggle to use perspective in 3d the way that you have and I always look forward to seeing updates to Castle Aching.

and I have never used Templot all my track at home is Peco code 100 on this layout and Hailsham has a large stock of code 75 sat on the baseboards waiting for me to start modelling that again, that is waiting for a few thing not least the fact I am considering changing its era which would need a slight modification to the track plan.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to add I had done very little soldering until one of the members of the MRC I attend called me over to have ago with the soldering iron the bit of track he was building and I now plan to always build my own track in future which will start with a 009 layout once the existing projects start to get closer to completion.

Gary

• Like 3

I must say it is a good skill to have and one I thought I would never be able to do but through many years of being forced to try led to me finally learning. I would like to try using a Silhouette cutter one day but they are out of my price range and to be honest I'm not sure I'm good enough for that.

I will be making my transfers using a guide I found on eBay which includes lining samples. The same seller has GNR and LNWR sheets available (He had SECR but I got that one to make transfers for my SECR locos). I have in the past considered the possibility that I could make some money by putting things like transfers on the market and even started making a website for it last year however so far thats all I've done. In the meantime if you want help with anything like that then feel free to ask.

I totally understand finding it hard to get used to image editing programs and in fact for my transfers I use Adobe Illustrator which is not an image editor and is in fact publishing software however it allows me to size things using mm or inches and set them on a page so that I know they will fit, and besides your "little cardboard houses" are very impressive I struggle to use perspective in 3d the way that you have and I always look forward to seeing updates to Castle Aching.

and I have never used Templot all my track at home is Peco code 100 on this layout and Hailsham has a large stock of code 75 sat on the baseboards waiting for me to start modelling that again, that is waiting for a few thing not least the fact I am considering changing its era which would need a slight modification to the track plan.

Gary

Gary,

I would consider it a kindness if you could please either post or send me a PM details of the guide /manufacturer you mentioned. 

I feel guilty that I have not preserved with these programs.  The Memsahib uses Illustrator.  perhaps I could have a go when she's not looking!

Best,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

James,

PM sent.

No need to feel guilty about not persevering with these programs. We all have things we struggle with. I have certainly given up on many things in the past, in fact for about 2 years I gave up on the idea of ever being able to model pre-grouping as I genuinely believed I would never be able to do anything except buying r-t-r stock and pre-made buildings. which is why my other layout was panned to be 1950's - 1960's and in fact I did build up a rather nice collection of stock for it before getting this layout.

Gary

James,

PM sent.

No need to feel guilty about not persevering with these programs. We all have things we struggle with. I have certainly given up on many things in the past, in fact for about 2 years I gave up on the idea of ever being able to model pre-grouping as I genuinely believed I would never be able to do anything except buying r-t-r stock and pre-made buildings. which is why my other layout was panned to be 1950's - 1960's and in fact I did build up a rather nice collection of stock for it before getting this layout.

Gary

Glad to be in touch and to be collaborating with you.

Soon the world shall know of our plans, but by then it will to too late to stop them!  Mahahahahahaha!

• RMweb Gold

This is a topic hi-jack! 

James

I dumped myself into pre-grouping by starting off with 009 and setting it in 1895.  I then found I had placed it in the Cambrian Railways area and there was very little if anything you could have that you did not have to scratchbuild, mostly by taking your own trees, compressing them for millions of years, etc etc.  Sorry I exaggerate. At the start of my thread I envisaged having to run GWR stuff in a scenario that the Cambrian had finally collapsed into bankruptcy.  Since then other stuff has come on the market, and I have with experience grown in my ability and confidence as to what I can do.  I may still end up gluing brass but keep that quiet.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad to be in touch and to be collaborating with you.

Soon the world shall know of our plans, but by then it will to too late to stop them!  Mahahahahahaha!

I'm glad to be collaborating with you.

The mortals of this world can't even imagine what is coming! Mwhahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1

I may still end up gluing brass but keep that quiet.

No one will hear it from me, Chris.

Thank you for the further encouragement.  One day I will tackle these programs again, but I note that I have, somehow, been persuaded to try to build my own track first.

post-25673-0-76740900-1463075597.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Time for an early weekly update!

Expect modelling to slow down for the next fortnight or so as I have to go into hospital tomorrow for what would be a routine dental procedure for most people but am I have a mild form of haemophilia I need to go to hospital and be put to sleep and then have recovery time to ensure I don't bleed.

However I have tried to make up for it this week first by working on the layout and finishing the brickwork on the bridge:

post-22762-0-46439000-1491913631_thumb.jpg

Including inside the tunnel portal:

post-22762-0-31600400-1491913632_thumb.jpg

This gives us a nice view into the Loco Yard:

post-22762-0-28993300-1491913633_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time working on the Bachmann 4 Wheel coaches, firstly by adding vacuum pipes to each end of the chassis:

post-22762-0-70268900-1491913629_thumb.jpg

and also by adding steps and Lamp Irons to the brake ends:

post-22762-0-49438900-1491913630_thumb.jpg

and then for anyone needing a push to try something new, this morning I lined my coaches up along with the Gladstone Class on a piece of wood (and later transferred to my workbench):

post-22762-0-53264100-1491913634_thumb.jpg

and for the first time in my life I got the airbrush out and actually used it to apply some paint:

post-22762-0-68665900-1491913635_thumb.jpg

I had to stop after a quick coat as the weather turned bad however it is starting to look better so after having something to eat I might apply another coat to the coaches before taking the kids to the park.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Impressed, and not just with the paint job.  Is that top moveable so you can take it outside to spray on?

Hope all goes well with your op, I will be praying for you.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris, Yes the workbench is mobile although it very rarely gets moved due to the amount on it. It took 10 minutes to clear it off so that I could take it outside for spraying. It's main home is under my stairs but that is filled up with more stuff at the moment as well.

I appreciate your thoughts Chris, as I said it is only a standard procedure really so nothing should go wrong. Most people would have it done in the dentists chair and be forgotten about the next day, I just happen to be unlucky with my blood so have to take extra precautions just in case.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick note to say that I feel absolutely terrible and I'm in tons of pain but they have let me come home with tablet to control the bleeding and orders that I cannot drive or and must relax for 3 days. but at least I am home.

Gary

I am sorry to hear that you have been so knocked about and I am sure we all wish you well and a speedy return to pain-free modelling.

Just lie on the sofa and watch old films for the next 3 days, though!

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

If it does not improve phone them and go straight back, but you probably know that.  Anaesthetics as you get older* do make you feel bad.  All the best.

* Older, over thirty.