The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Go Ahead!

Personally, I'm pleased with how the Westinghouse pumps came out!

To give a bit of context to those liveries, as they're not all for the same project!

The LSWR ones, and most of the SR and BR ones are for my 'South Dorset Narrow Gauge Railways' project, proposing a large network of narrow gauge lines, run intially by a series of independent companies (The Swanage Tramway, Lulworth & Purbeck Light Rly, Weymouth & South Dorset Rly and the Mid Dorset Light Rly) which were, over time absorbed into the local mainline companies, much as the Cambrian absorbed the VOR and W&LLR, and the NSR the L&MVLR. The first three companies listed ended up with the LSWR, the last with the GWR. Over time, the companies began to stamp their own identities onto their stock. The lines reached their peak immediately after WW1, before slowly declining. Stock was cascaded from the Lynton & Barnstaple in 1936, but the Second World War finished off most of the remaining network, as the core of the system ran straight across land requistioned by the WD that these days is known as Lulworth Ranges. The L&PLR and W&SDR sections were severed from the Swanage Tramway section, and were officially closed within weeks of the WD requistioning the land. Much of the track remained in place, however, and some of it now forms part of the target railway used by the MOD on the Lulworth Tank Range.

The Tramway section passed to BR, and remained profitable in its reduced state, running from Studland in the East, through Swanage Town, with a branch to the LSWR Mainline Station, out to Peveril Point in the West, before heading along the coast to its former connection to the L&PLR at Kimmeridge, where passenger services now terminate. The line was 'privatised' before the VOR in the late 1970's, being taken over breifly by the Town Council before a heritage organisation stepped in.

Now, the LBSCR locos form part of the Downland Light Railway, stretching from the River Adur, near Beeding, in the East, up through Lancing, Broadwater and Findon, before skirting the foot of the downs and heading North through West Chiltington and Storrington to the River Arun at Pulborough, linking two rivers and two LBSCR Lines. I've yet to work out a full history for this... but I know it will involve Stroudley Improved Engine Green!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That sounds like a very interesting plan. My narrow gauge plans currently revolve around the proposed but never built, Nutley, Crowborough, and Groombridge Light Railway.

That obviously puts in quite close to Oak Hill, but they split from Groombridge in opposite directions. In my fictional history the line is built as a narrow gauge line and later taken over by the LBSC although I plan to model it while still an independent company. This doesn't mean some narrow gauge engine won't show up on the layout in LBSC livery at some point though!!

Gary

• Like 4

I really like sem34090's liveries. This is a great idea.  No reason why a pre-Grouping line could not have built or absorbed an NG line and branded/re-branded the stock accordingly.

You only have to consider the VoR locos in BR corporate image livery to realise how not-absurd this thought is!

So Gary, when can we expect a LB&SC NG feeder to Oak Hill?

For your period, I presume the locos will wear IEG and bear names.  A Quarry Hunslet in IEG!?!

Mind you, there is a prototype for everything!

post-25673-0-78395300-1515752027_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A Quarry Hunslet in IEG would be very nice!!

As for when we can expect it. I have been given a space in the house to build the layout, it is where the dog currently lives. So the layout will not be built while I have a dog! The occasional bit of stock on the other hand!!!

Gary

• Like 3

Hi James,

I thought the IEG Hunslet looked pretty good. I like the Goods green on the pugbashes too, so will attempt that at some stage. The whole idea was inspired by how the Cambrian absorbed the VOR and W&LLR.

And there will always be a prototype somewhere!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That Brighton wagon is never likely to feature RTR, I fear - 9 ft 6 wheelbase, 18 ft 8 overall length (not wheelbase as the website says), unless I have misidentified it. Other Brighton wagons are 9 ft 3 in wheelbase so also unlikely to appear on Hornby's list. But there are kits, so does it matter?

The SER seems to have favoured 8 ft 4 in and 9 ft 4 in, just to be different, while the Chatham favoured sizes like 9 ft 8 in, when it wasn't 9 ft 3 in 

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

It does not matter in the slightest if a kit exists, and I certainly don't expect Hornby to ever release such a thing. I have at home a very large collection of LBSC and SECR wagon drawings. My plans are to build a large representation of each companies wagons throughout this year. I will most likely buy in a lot of Parkside chassis and cut these up for the wagons as appropriate.

I think I will have to pick up some Midland D299's on the way as well!! That'll keep someone happy :jester:

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh, yes, a Midland 3-plank for every scene.

I am in much the same situation except that I have built most of the Rhymney wagons I need. Which is why I have been exploring such foreign climes as the South Coast in search of wagons to model - though I think the next may be something from the Furness. And of course I have two Midland 3-plank kits awaiting building.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Of course, there is then Rob Bennet’s ⅞” scale “Baldrig” conversion of an Accucraft steam power unit, Salopia... *

0101RobBennett.jpg

* Land of (-ia) the b1tches?

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oh, yes, a Midland 3-plank for every scene.

I am in much the same situation except that I have built most of the Rhymney wagons I need. Which is why I have been exploring such foreign climes as the South Coast in search of wagons to model - though I think the next may be something from the Furness. And of course I have two Midland 3-plank kits awaiting building.

Jonathan

Ahem... D299 is the five-plank open wagon. You're thinking of the far less numerous D305 three-plank dropside wagon - only 13,850 built.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

You probably know that Parkside Dundas is no more.  Dundas is still continuing with narrow gauge stuff and I heard that the Parkside moulds have been bought by Peco..  Unless you are fortunate enough to by an R-T-R one all the kits will need a chassis but there are chassis available.  Start posting when you are making plans and I will dredge my limited knowledge for pointers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Yes I was aware of the split. THe good thing is what peco buying the range has meant is I can actually get the Parkside bits easier!! as my local model shop has an account with Peco, but never did with Parkside Dundas as there wasn't enough demand for it!! Peco seem to have released at least most of the Parkside range now judging by then new catalogue. my plan is to use the PA08 RCH 9ft wheelbase chassis, chopped as necessary to make something resembling the chassis for whatever wagons I need, it won't be perfect but hopefully will be good enough!!

I will however post plans as needed on here for advice!!

Gary

• Like 2

Further thoughts on Pre-Group Narrow Gauge.

As I am also doing 7mmNG as well as 009, my thoughts have turned to how NG locos, designed and produced by their mainline company owner, may look. You may note a few variations in my LBSC Quarry Hunslets (Stroudley & Marsh Boilers, Westinghouse Pumps, etc...), and I was wondering how, say, a Stroudley 0-6-0T designed for 2ft 3in gauge may look, as opposed to a terrier with a larger cab stuck on. My thoughts then turned to a Urie S15, but to 2ft 3in gauge and with the appropiate proportions.

Either way I intend to finish my first 7mm NG loco in LBSCR IEG, and may finish the coaches I'm building as a push pull set in Umber & White. It'd be different...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had noticed the variations in the Quarry Hunslets. You did a good job on them. I will be looking forward to seeing your NG projects when they emerge!!

Would you believe I have an unbuilt DJH S15 sitting next to me right now!! (that won't be featuring here!!)

Gary

Depends how you built your S15...

I have a Hornby King Arthur with a Urie Cab sat here awaiting tender, chassis, Urie Chimney, and LSWR-Pattern smokebox door!

All too modern for this thread though...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My S15 shall be in late 50's condition for running on the 'new' 00 layout at club (we have been building it for 3 years is it still new?) I also have a DJH 4MT tank. While I could buy both of these off the shelf I quite enjoy DJH kits!! See my 7mm Mallard thread for my current DJH based adventure!

Gary

Wish I could afford DJH kits, but relative to their RTR equivalents (where applicable) they're too expensive. This is my main issue with kits. When an RTR one can be got for £80, I will buy it over a more expensive kit. If the RTR was £100 and the kit £50 - £60 then I would probably choose the kit.

I'd probably prefer building kits, but (at the moment) RTR and 3D printing are cheaper, relatively speaking.

• Like 2

Ah!

Yes, BR Green is preservation only.

**Group joined by a local railway employee of the era...**

'Ere, hwats's this talk of Presteration and 'BR'? We doesn't get much from the BR down 'ere, only when there's h'a special load coming in from Barry. As fer presteration, 'ood wan ter prester one of them things (points at Drummond LSWR 'Paddlebox' 4-6-0) with them 'orrible great winders 'bove the wheels?

• Like 1

Is it time to be comparing R1's?

Here's mine, currently sat on a Triang 0-6-0 Chassis, and with lining provided from my own paper overlays. Need to print off the boiler bands. Note out different interpretations of SECR Green. I suspect yours is much closer, as it came out rather darker than I'd have liked on the printer.

post-33498-0-00861600-1515802320_thumb.png

Compared to the (simplified, so slightly lighter due to less varnish?) Bachmann C it looks way too dark to me:

post-33498-0-74436900-1515802477_thumb.png

Note my conversion of a Peco bufferstop into an LBSCR one... wonder where I got that from?! Hmm...  :secret_mini:

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

Just wondering, but were you referring to my lining in your post? If so I would be somewhat honoured if you were to use it!

I got the impression that most of them would've gone straight into grey, given when they were rebuilt, but I couldn't resist one in full Wainwright!

• Like 2