The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Thanks for the images Gary, and yes: the E2 is Goods Black (If I can dig it out!)

I think a separate thread is called for on the other debate I started!

However, I will further state my opinions on this matter: I mostly purchase RTR or Second-Hand kitbuilt locos, as that is the cheapest option available to me. I'm beginning to choose that, when a new RTR model is released, I will look for people who are selling on kitbuilt ones. That way I get a cheap loco that I can then have the pleasure of detailing and doing what I want with. Unfortunately I am struggling to find unbuilt second-hand kits, and the price of new ones is sometimes totally prohibitive! I simply cannot afford to spend £125 (DJH S15) on a loco kit which then requires extra expenditure on top. I wouldn't even buy RTR at more than £110, my Hornby S15 costing £80. In fact, at the time I bought the S15, I also bought a renamed Hornby 'Exeter' West Country for £50, then Five wagons for £10. All for the cost of buying 'Exeter' new at current RRP! As much as I would love to build more kits, my constant worry is spending at least £40-£50 on a loco which may never get finished and I may wreck during the building of! It's not a lack of willingness to have a go (I'd love to!) but the cost of making mistakes with a kit. For that same £40 I bought two locos today, which I will get pleasure out of by detailing and repainting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All I will say on the matter is my S15 didn't cost full price as it has been sitting in a cupboard since 1990!!

I wouldn't pay £125 either unless it is with the model shop where I have an instalment arrangement as it means I don't notice the money going!

Gary

• Like 2

Glad to hear that!

May I also post a request to all members visiting here from the (un! :jester: ) civil parish of Castle Aching, situated in East Anglia, that the PCC here in Oak Hill will not tolerate such atrocious behaviour as the posting of images depicting female actors wearing limited clothing. All such imagery as this will be immediately removed, and may be destroyed, without prior notice.  :jester:

Carry on...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good news!! The new toys have come out of their boxes for a play!! and yes as guessed they are the SE&CR Birdcages by Bachmann, and very nice they are too!!

post-22762-0-93721800-1515965435_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-05825500-1515965438_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-81477400-1515965439_thumb.jpg

I have also finally found the longest train that can fit in the loop on Oak Hill. Almost like it was designed for it!!!

post-22762-0-78604000-1515965441_thumb.jpg

All I say say is well done Bachmann!! These are beautiful. I hope your upcoming LBSCR Atlantics are as good, and are followed by some LBSCR carriages!!!

Gary

• Like 7

Dear, dear Simon, you appear to be having one of your funny moments again. Doctor W. Ho (TL, OBE, BBC, Hons.) will see you now.

Ooops, now I've got the wrong thread...

Hat,

White Coat,

Gone!

• RMweb Gold

Dear, dear Simon, you appear to be having one of your funny moments again. Doctor W. Ho (TL, OBE, BBC, Hons.) will see you now.

Ooops, now I've got the wrong thread...

Hat,

White Coat,

Gone!

Don’t worry.

I get lots of help.

The missus is a consultant psychiatrist.

(True.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s very kind, but I fear that you may be only half-right...Dang. I’ve done it again, haven’t I?

Yes!  :jester:

I’ve waited years for the right audience* to say this to:

If I added your wit to mine, we’d still be no further along...

* One that sees the humour, not the insult.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"It's not a lack of willingness to have a go (I'd love to!) but the cost of making mistakes with a kit."

I agree. I made some Ks kits many years ago, and they seemed to work, and am now working - slowly - on an ex-Cambrian 1196 for Sarn. I do worry that I may make a mess of an expensive gearbox, chassis etc etc etc, especially as i am being perverse and building it compensated and with split frames. So far so good, though already some reworking of the chassis. If you all (and I) live long enough you may see it on my Sarn thread (Sarn was going to be a quicky, don't you know, four years ago!).

Jonathan

PS But I am finding new skills now even at the start of my eighth decade.

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 4

I often wish I'd been around when K's kits were still on general sale: I have a few built ones at home and they appear to have been somewhat easier to manage than some modern kits. Most people seem to think that those who do RTR will only do RTR, and kitbuilders will all be experienced modellers, hence kits become more complex, and those like me who want to break out of having a mostly-RTR collection of locos and stock are either having to find alternative ways of doing it (See my other threads) or are being put off. In some respects, the kit producers could be shooting themselves in the foot by mostly producing complex, or costly, kits which becomes off-putting for those like myself who want to get their teeth into something simple and cheap, before progressing to more complex and expensive kits. I'd imagine many kitbuilders around today will have started with the likes of K's and progressed, but that intial stepping stone has gone!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I often wish I'd been around when K's kits were still on general sale: I have a few built ones at home and they appear to have been somewhat easier to manage than some modern kits.

Well, there’s a statement I never thought I’d see or hear!

Modern kits must be really atrocious.

I'd imagine many kitbuilders around today will have started with the likes of K's and progressed

In my case, and that of at least one other person I know, the experience sent us into another scale.

For most, it simply meant other kits often seemed better than they really were.

Anyone who thinks that K’s kits are in any way easy is the railway modelling equivalent of Mongo from Blazing Saddles: indefeatable except by oblique cunning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think K's kits aren't all bad, but the difference between K's kits and modern kits is that with K's kits you need to be more cunning than a fox to get one to run nicely. The SE Finecast bodyline kits are the best starting point (and they do Southern stuff as well) and these fit to rtr chassis (ok some of the chassis are awful, but at least your creation will run!), but they also do etched chassis kits so that you can then have a go at making a better chassis for it later on.

The K's kits that I've handled have fairly good bodies, but are let down by things like the underframes being impossible to get square (Manly caused by the masters not being symmetrical, and both sides being cast from the one master!) on wagons and carriages, and the etchings being poor in the loco kits. The later drive systems were shocking too. For wagons etc, you can replace the solebars with something more modern, with locos there's possibly a comet frame kit, or you can hack at it to get it square.

If your that interested in having a go at a K's kit, ring SE Finecast and ask Dave if he has the moulds for what you want, and if he has, he'll no doubt spin one for you!

Andy G

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The tank cab and bunker castings on my Terrier were of substantially different lengths. The chassis was so poor as to defy description, and nothing fitted.

Still, the D-shaped axles meant the quartering was easy.

• Like 1