The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Everyone!!

I have been doing some modelling again!! I have this week been chopping up a Tri-ang 7 plank wagon to make it look a bit more like an LBSC wagon, I will leave this comparison picture here for you to decide how well I did:

1957061055_2019-04-1319_24_59.jpg.c5246e7e69a26e471eeceb0b398f8cd3.jpg

I have every intention of doing the same to the other wagon at some point in the future...... perhaps on one of my Sunday night Livestreams!! 9pm UK time!!! Don't forget to pop along as this week should see the brake van project finished, and moving onto something new!

581658112_LetsBuildEpisode4.jpg.0cf334708d603a1956042aab22660f32.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On the assumption, there will be knowledgeable modellers of the S.E.Rly here.... :rolleyes:
Can somebody explain how the upper spectacles on the signals are intended to display a light through them?
The lower arms have a lamp behind them.
The upper spectacles are at a different angle and I can't make out any lamp fittings.
The extract is from a 1893 photo of Hastings Station, copyrighted,
from the Tonbridge Historical Society Collection, their Negative No. 6B.
As I haven't obtained permission to reproduce the whole or majority of the photo., I haven't. :)
The clarity of the detail is because thise is a contact print from the original wholeplate photo.

Hastings Signals .jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There looks to be a lamp built into the casting at the top of the post: a hint of a frame around what might be a lens. 

It’s an interesting design: not seen it before.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Regularity said:

There looks to be a lamp built into the casting at the top of the post: a hint of a frame around what might be a lens. 

I see what you mean.
Totally off topic, I had a lot of difficulty at one time understanding how the 'Dipping Rig' on a 1881 Mackerel Driver was lowered/raised etc., until I managed to get up very close to the top of a mast - there's a pully situated within the top of the mast.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Never having participated in such a thing before, it was a rather interesting if odd experience - the asymmetry in the discussion is peculiar, with the time delay in posting a reply to something Gary has said addressing one directly. My internet connection couldn't keep up - must have known it was past my bedtime - so I dropped out a bit after 11pm. I don't think my parting comment got posted: I said I would be looking forward to seeing the sides of Linny's laser-cut carriage assembled, especially how the tumblehome is done.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stephen,

Was great to have you there last night! I agree the time delay from things being posted to me seeing them and being able to respond is odd, it has taken some getting used to from my end, and can sometimes result in me having to wait if I have asked for feedback.

The issues that we had just after 11pm were my end, I had to restart the stream for us to carry on, we ended just before midnight, with the chassis for Linny's carriage finished, so we will indeed be starting on the body next time! I am already looking forward to it, and hope you can be there to see how it is done.

I'll get some pictures taken so I can upload the progress from last night.

Gary

PS. I haven't had the final figured through from YouTube yet, but we apparently had 37 viewers in total last night! A number which to me seems incredible!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

I don't know if you've found these yet, but there are settings in StreamLabs to adjust the latancy/video quality compromise.

As for YouTube viewer analytics, that's a whole minefield of ego-surfing that I don't recommend getting too deep into!

Edited by TurboSnail
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have not seen that setting Tom, the extent of my playing with Streamlabs so far has been to break the chat module, the chat should show up in the top left of the screen, covering the cork board, but it has never worked. I'll have to have a look for that one!

I don't check the YouTube analytics often, so far I have always been happy as we stay quite consistent with viewer numbers and watch time.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would come and put an update covering last weeks stream before announcing this weeks one.

So last week we finally finished the brake van project, I am very happy with how this has come out! The first bit of stock built for South Park Quarry, and also suitable for Hailsham:

1467105382_2019-04-1517_17_18.jpg.f4fbacfdd3a242a6c1d6b526e480cb06.jpg

In advance of last weeks stream I also gave an identity to my older as built Stroudley Brake:

829620417_2019-04-1517_17_45.jpg.387fb405e0d5f5038b143fbf25fd6a75.jpg

With that project finished I got going on the next project, a Laser cut Stroudley 4 wheeler from one of @Skinnylinny's kits. We got the chassis built last week, so will be starting on the body this week!

456999177_2019-04-1517_17_56.jpg.55d3ecded36f5623275d16296d28e148.jpg

Which diagram? You ask, You'll have to tune in this Sunday at 9pm to find out!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

A good broadcast last night , quality of the stream really good! Nice to chat with you and all as well! Thanks for your time and effort,  brilliant. 

Agreed. Sadly I did fall asleep during it but still, good talking to you all.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all, I had a really good time last night! It was great seeing the chat so active, I could barely keep up at times!

Hopefully you all saw how great @Skinnylinny's kits are, it went together much quicker than I expected!! I'm going to have to start thinking about what to do once the wagon we started is finished!! We have paint to get on the carriage first though!

Gary

• Like 1

On 13/04/2019 at 14:41, BlueLightning said:

I have been doing some modelling again!! I have this week been chopping up a Tri-ang 7 plank wagon to make it look a bit more like an LBSC wagon, I will leave this comparison picture here for you to decide how well I did:

1957061055_2019-04-1319_24_59.jpg.c5246e7e69a26e471eeceb0b398f8cd3.jpg

I have every intention of doing the same to the other wagon at some point in the future...... perhaps on one of my Sunday night Livestreams!! 9pm UK time!!! Don't forget to pop along as this week should see the brake van project finished, and moving onto something new!

This is a great idea Gary! You can also do it with other 7-plank kits. I did two LB&SCR Open-D wagons using Slaters kits a while back. Perhaps not for the purist, but they're for running with SE&CR or GWR trains (eventually). I think the brake gear was from a Ratio PW kit.

Dana1792040733_LBSCROpenDfromSlaters7-plank.JPG.9d78f72ee61c555b48aeb4a0f09ba410.JPG

Edited by Dana Ashdown
Spelling and addition.
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed Matt, and I do remember your advise on how bad it was. Hopefully I will survive the build!

Honestly the only reason I have chosen this kit as the nxt build is because I don't actually have anything else to build yet. Would much rather work on one of my SEF kits, but I need to get wheels first, and that requires money.

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For a moment there, I thought "the base of that chimney casting is going to need some fettling" - then I realised I was looking at a lump of blutack!

Tiebars, wrought iron or whitemetal, are stronger in tension than compression!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yep it is bluetak Stephen, in fact nothing above the frames is fitted!! So the picture I used is a cheat really! 

The tiebars got bent while I was dry fitting the body pieces, I have already straightened them, and you are not the first to point it out! 

Hope to see you there again tonight! 

Gary

• Like 2