The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stephen,

The buffers were shocking, and to make them worse they actually stood proud of the buffer beam as the original buffers hadn't been completely removed.

I have removed all the handrails and nameplates tonight and started lining it, so it is hopefully going to look really good soon, and I have even been thinking about starting work on the inglenook so that I have somewhere to play with it properly!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Honestly when it happened I was more concerned with the fact that the original owner had stopped talking to me, and me having no idea why, I'd rather not have any of it if it would have avoided that, but let's leave it there

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend again!! So I am getting ready to do another livestream!! and this week I have decided to put the D1 on hold while I wait for the correct wheels to be delivered (Pretty sure the D1 will only make one more appearance on the channel!!) so instead we will be working on some small projects. I have a nice variety sat on the workbench, so make sure you don't miss it!!!

I will return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime I'll leave you with the review of last weeks livestream, and you can see just how close the D1 is!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I have spent some time this afternoon helping the boy with his Tri-ang Caley Single restoration project. When he started on this is was looking very sorry for itself, after a few too many tears owned by a child, Pretty sure he has had this since he was 5!

1449310141_2020-04-2917_02_54.jpg.8c35a13468d08c0c304a283c424ce611.jpg

Thankfully I was donated some parts to help him repair this some time ago, however it got sidelined as he didn't have a layout, followed by him not knowing where he had put it until recently.

We replaced the chassis parts from the donor chassis, and set to work on the body, with a Great British Locomotives clone. The Tri-ang model has received half a cab roof, new steps, some new buffers, some new wheels for the tender and some real coal (which is still drying as I type this) along with some bits of paint to make it look a bit better!

53716062_2020-05-0915_56_40.jpg.eef8b81ffec5831401be94d438e53263.jpg

To address some of the running issues these locos have we have fashioned a spring from some brass for the front bogie, which has been painted black and screwed into the rivet on to bogie front, it's so discrete I bet you never even noticed it in the previous image! (and yes it is there!!)

2118975459_2020-05-0914_51_24.jpg.4a7243f9c8207057427c41b734338fb7.jpg

1819383456_2020-05-0914_55_24.jpg.f9200d765f28659738a11b854045094a.jpg

In the near future it will get some extra weight added to where the old Magnadhesion magnet was, and a whitemetal crew, to improve things further, but for now that is one extra loco able to run on his layout.

His Caley coaches have already had their bogies replaced with ones that run easier, but I am leaving upgrading things to look more realistic until he is a bit more experienced.

1801638691_2020-05-0916_34_42.jpg.25f904222bdc0a0ddf0c5411c3f5f1e6.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Gary

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Now that's what a passenger train should look like!!!  :good_mini:

Jim (Just started on a CR 45ft 1st)

I thought of you as I posed that photo on his layout Jim!! He has asked today if he can get a kit for a Caley 0-6-0 for his birthday, he needs something to haul goods after all! So it would appear that his modelling is already heading in that direction.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I recall a comment from a magazine article from a very long way back: "so that's where the missing millimetres from the Triang Princess went!"

Yeah, but it does look good though! LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I thought of you as I posed that photo on his layout Jim!! He has asked today if he can get a kit for a Caley 0-6-0 for his birthday, he needs something to haul goods after all! So it would appear that his modelling is already heading in that direction.

Rails of Sheffield are bringing out an RTR 812 Class.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Jim,

But in all honesty, I'm not sure I want to thrown £200+ at an RTR loco (Cost of loco, plus DCC chip), and since they don't seem to offer it DCC fitted, that means spending all that, and then taking it apart as soon as it arrives. I'd rather spend the same amount on a kit, and spend some time with the boy building it. Plus if he does carry on wanting to model the Caley, he is going to have to learn to build more advanced kits than the carriages he has done so far.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What kits are available for Caledonian 0-6-0s? Anything other than an 812, I'm thinking - one wouldn't want one's handiwork mistaken for a RTR model! (Barring the issue that they all look the same.)

• RMweb Gold

Livestream day has arrived!!! Tonight at 9pm (UK) we will be working on some smaller projects, and seeing how many we can complete in just 2 hours!! Join us there to see what we can manage!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This weeks video is live on YouTube and has a return to Birch Hill where my son has been working again! and the scenics are slowly creeping their way along the layout! check it out here!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!!! and this weekend we will be making @Skinnylinny's Wills LB&SCR D1 come to life!!! Make sure you don't miss it!!!

Last weekends livestream was a bit different as we were waiting for parts to arrive for Linny's D1, check out the smaller projects we got on with here!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's Livestream day!! and also the day we plan on bringing @Skinnylinny's Wills LB&SCR D1 to life!!! Don't miss it tonight at 9pm (UK) as we get the motor fitted, and see if we can get the wheels turning under it's own power for the first time!!!

See you there!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What's this, another video post on a Tuesday? Gary must be angling for comments!!

Well guys I need some opinions! I finished up the on screen work on Linny's LB&SCR D1 on Sunday night, and we got it running on camera! So the weekend will be a new project (project may contain slight evidence of previous use). So I thought I would ask the community what they want to see next! So we have a vote based on some projects I have that are ready to go! so please let me know, either here, or in the comments of the video which one you would like to see first!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is here, and the votes have been counted! In tomorrows livesteam we will be working on turning some Ratio 4 wheelers into SE&CR 27ft carriages! (not one for the purist, but close enough!) If you want to see how to do it then make sure you are there at 9pm(UK) tomorrow night!!

I will as always bring you the link tomorrow, and in the meantime, I will leave you with the review of last weekends livestream so you can see the result of our hard work on @Skinnylinny's LB&SCR D1!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2