The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend again! and following a very successful stream last weekend we are going to be doing some scenic scratchbuilding this weekend!! Join us tomorrow night as we work on things for the NC&GLR layout!!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime please enjoy the review of last weekends livestream!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is upon us!! and this weekend, while I would love to do some more scenic bits, we will be returning to some rolling stock! because I need to wait for more supplies for the scenic work! So instead we will be working on finishing the train for the Craven tank!! See you there tomorrow at 9pm (UK)!!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime I hope you enjoy the review of last weekends livestream!!

Gary

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 16:19, BlueLightning said:

Indeed he did James, the LBSC board of directors tried to change his mind, but he was having none of it. It would seem they were more interested in having 50 Terriers, and who could blame them!!

Gary

At the risk of being fair to J C Craven, I think this does not do him justice. Initially, he concentrated on getting Brighton Works to a viable state, with a trickle construction of new locos - usually in pairs. This allowed the adoption of technical innovations, of which, admittedly, Craven was rather fond.  The Locomotive Committee of the Board micro-managed him, refusing to order additional locos from external builders when they were required. When the need became desperate, they panicked and over-ordered locos that they could not pay for. Craven actually resigned on two occasions in exasperation. 

I have never entirely understood how Stroudley was able to operate under very different terms of reference. 

Best wishes 

Eric    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, burgundy said:

I have never entirely understood how Stroudley was able to operate under very different terms of reference.     

Perhaps because Craven had already got the LBSCR through the worst of its loco crisis, and the directors had finally learned their lesson?

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Eric,

I never realised Craven had actually resigned at any point, but yes I was acutely aware of the conditions he operated under, and what was essentially scapegoating at the end of his career for the LBSC. I can only assume the reason Stroudley had it so different was because of the backlog of repairs at Brighton that had been created under the previous policy, and the need to correct it. Besides, if the board had carried on the same, the shareholders might have blamed them rather than Craven!

That's my theory anyway,

Gary

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Force of character?

J C Craven has been accused of many things, but never of lacking force of character!

After the financial crash, the composition of the Board changed, although the conflict with Craven appears to have continued. 

I can only assume that by 1870, enough of the Board had come to appreciate that running Brighton Works as a craft workshop had had its day. Stroudley's own track record at Lochgorm had been one of make and mend, so he must have had an absolute blinder of an interview to convince them  

- that he was the man to take over, 

- that the company should spend quite  lot of money rebuilding and reorganising the Works  before building any new locos,

- that standardisation of design was an appropriate policy and

- that the Board should back off and let him get on with it (with Dougal Drummond as Works Manager and Robert Billinton as Chief Draughtsman).

The transition is an interesting period, with quite a lot of make and mend before the standard designs started to appear! See the thread on Mr Craven's Engines

Best wishes 

Eric 

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Well after what has been a very long day (Make sure you take your keys with you when you walk out the door that needs a key to open!) I can confirm it is the weekend, and this weekend we will be finishing the Craven brake that we started work on last weekend!! Join us tomorrow at 9pm (UK) to see it done!!

I will return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime I shall leave you with the review of last weekends livestream.

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend, and this weekend I plan on getting work done on both my Craven brakes, to finish the train for the craven!!

Join us tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) to see how we get on.

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime I will leave you with the review of last weeks livestream.

Hope you enjoy,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is upon us! and this weekend we will be starting a new project! Join us tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) as we begin work on my D&S Models SE&CR 6 wheel brake van!!

I'll bring you the link tomorrow, in the meantime please enjoy this review of last weeks stream when we wrapped up the train for my Craven tank engine!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! this weekend we will be continuing the D&S Models SE&CR 6 wheel brake, following what was a fantastic amount of progress last week!! I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime, here is the review of what we got done last time!

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2