The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

Gary,

I was not sure you could get your top siding in with this arrangement, but obviously you can.

Only just, it would be easier with more room, but if I'm doing this, I want to make more room for me to use.

The Loco shed section sticks out to the width of the current layout, and is where the layout will be operated from, the rest of it being smaller allows me to push the sofa further back.

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The presence of the two-road engine shed hints that that may not be the case, in which case I'm not quite sure if a single platform face would be sufficient.

How were real LBSC branch line termini laid out?

As always, Rule 1 applies. 

The 2 road shed is due to the 2 companies being there, 1 road is LB&SCR, one road is SE&CR, there are also 2 office/mess buildings(grounded carraiges) for this purpose.

9 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

So is this one going to be P4 then Gary?   

Martin

I was waiting for that. NO! Too much stock to convert, and I'm not sure you would get P4 into the Peco turnouts I've used anyway

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

If you must have the goods sidings that way round, how about a double slip in place of the toe-to-toe points, giving a longer headshunt, and an asymmetric three-way in there as well. Much more period atmosphere.

This is where we have some issues, I have planned the layout with Peco code 75 bullhead, the currently available parts are flexitrack, left turnout, and right turnout. If this changes before it comes time to actually do the work, I will consider this.

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, you must have seen how very dangerous it is to post a proposed track plan on RMWeb!

Don't worry Stephen, this is exactly the sort of responses I wanted!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Only just, it would be easier with more room, but if I'm doing this, I want to make more room for me to use.

The Loco shed section sticks out to the width of the current layout, and is where the layout will be operated from, the rest of it being smaller allows me to push the sofa further back.

The 2 road shed is due to the 2 companies being there, 1 road is LB&SCR, one road is SE&CR, there are also 2 office/mess buildings(grounded carraiges) for this purpose.

I was waiting for that. NO! Too much stock to convert, and I'm not sure you would get P4 into the Peco turnouts I've used anyway

This is where we have some issues, I have planned the layout with Peco code 75 bullhead, the currently available parts are flexitrack, left turnout, and right turnout. If this changes before it comes time to actually do the work, I will consider this.

Don't worry Stephen, this is exactly the sort of responses I wanted!

Gary

The bullhead double slip is, I read, the first to be issued and is not so very far off that it will have arrived by the time (a) you've saved up for it and (b) you've built the boards etc. 

The 3-way is more problematic. You could just use the standard code 75 one and ballast (or since we're in the goods yard, earth) over the sleepers and as close to the head of the rails as you can?

See also:

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If this was me (which of course it isn't), I'd extend the 5-wagon goods yard siding and have a proper goods shed. Maybe curve the platform line towards the backscene (losing a bit of the unseen side of the station building) to give a bit more open space on the road access side of the goods shed. How wide are the boards? 18"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Well that is good news about the slip.

In that case, something like this? I'll sort out the odd curve in the loco shed entrance later, I forgot about it until I had already uploaded the picture.

445861873_OakHillMk2v3.PNG.ff325ac03ed582d78ba63b9f2b68119c.PNG

Gary,

I was about to say you could extend the sidings now as there is space.  I tend to think that when they built the railway they did not shorten them unless they had to.  You also appear to have lost your cattle dock.

I assume that the buffers the guards van is left against is the one on the headshunt on the loop?

I would keep that curve on the loco shed road.  It probably goes round something.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I assume that the buffers the guards van is left against is the one on the headshunt on the loop?

... if a passenger train is timetabled to come in and out during the shunting. If not, it could be left at the platform road buffers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

18". So, roughly on a transverse line across the ends of the short goods yard sidings:

50 mm half-relief building

48 mm platform

19 mm platform coping to track centre

45 mm platform line - loop track centres

80 mm loop - goods shed line track centres (allowing for the goods shed wall)

60 mm goods shed line - siding track centres (safe walking space between lines of wagons)

120 mm siding - siding track centres at buffers

35 mm outer siding track centre at buffers - baseboard edge.

Looks good to me.

There's a nice big empty space right of centre just crying out for a 42 ft turntable...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's how I was going to place it originally, I even thought about swapping the points into the servicing road into a slip for the purpose, but then decided I'm not made of money and that I would use a point.

Making the point fit and keeping the curves workable the other way round was a pain, and I gave up to put it that way.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Making the point fit and keeping the curves workable the other way round was a pain, and I gave up to put it that way.

Could you not move the service road turnout back a bit onto the curve, turn it from a LH to RH, with the curved road leading to the shed, and then put a LH turnout between that and the shed turnout leading back to the turntable?

I think it always looks best if you don't have all the tracks parallel to the baseboard edge, so angling the platform is a big improvement IMHO.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If they don't then Stephens plans of burying it as it's in the yard should be OK.

I have added the signal box now, and a friend elsewhere asked where the carriages go when the locos are put away for the night, a good point, and one I forgot about. The current Oak Hill has a set live in the platform (SE&CR), which I think is OK, and a set live in the siding that leads to the dairy (LB&SCR), which is a bit more questionable, so a carriage siding taking place of the servicing road, and the servicing road placed between that and the shed.

Thoughts?

2068638941_OakHillMk2v7.PNG.81f8e19bb50463f98aebcda78b560fd2.PNG

• Like 4

Would there perhaps not be a third road carriage siding? I am not entirely sure - perhaps you need to consult plans of small terminus stations to see whether this makes sense. Have you looked at plans of such things so far, incidentally?

As to this signalbox, this is a happy addition indeed. As we all know, every good signalbox has a cat. Will this cat be having kittens?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Honestly James, I'm not sure. I so far haven't had chance to go through my books to see what plans I have, the only terminus I know I have for definite is considerably bigger than Oak Hill. Although at the same time I can't see anywhere else it would fit.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Carriages might well be stabled in the goods yard overnight, if not in the platform line.

I've been looking at carriage working on the Midland in the Birmingham area - the information I have is for Oct 1922 onwards. The Walsall Wood (Brownhills) branch was worked by a two-coach set that was stabled overnight at Brownhills. On Tuesday mornings, after working the first train to Aldridge (the junction), the carriages were attached to a Walsall to Birmingham train, to be deposited at the carriage sidings at Saltley, the main carriage servicing location in the district. The next down train from Birmingham delivered a fresh pair of carriages from Saltley for the week's branch services. This may not look like very good utilisation of stock - I don't know whether the pair of carriages laid over at Saltley were used for anything else; they were probably elderly duplicate stock. A further inference is that the gas tanks held sufficient gas to light the train for a week of winter evenings.

So, you shouldn't need to model any facility for filling your carriage gas tanks.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if you need such an extensive coaling facility. As there are two separate companies, they might even have separate coaling facilities.

A platform next to each road outside the shed would probably be enough: a wagon of loco coal would be put next to it in the evening, and the shed labourer/cleaner would spend a few hours shovelling coal from wagon to dock. If they share coaling facilities, then maybe an island coal stage between the shed roads?

You could then use one of the two roads on your plan as a carriage siding.

Personally, I would extend the goods shed road, and move the shed further down, and increase the length of at least one of your other sidings, too.

I will see what I can do with cut and paste, and upload later.

This is what I did:

Oakhill.png.ee1655422cd64f00b97022a9e35eff33.png

Edited by Regularity
Added image.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Carriages might well be stabled in the goods yard overnight, if not in the platform line.

Yeah. This happened a lot in small rural stations. Many of the stations around my area used to and I do this on my Kelsby station as well as my other station plans.

• Like 1