The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

5 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

The ballast is, like most of the parts used, from the Your Model Railway Village magazine, it is a mix of about 45% buff, 45% grey, and 10% black, the stones are roughly the size of Woodland Scenics fine ballast. Applied to the track with a Proses ballast spreader. It's currently unweathered, that will come later.#

That certainly does. And I definitely need to buy a Proses if I can find one cheap. If only I could find a working OO-gauge ballast train.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to be of help!

9 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

If only I could find a working OO-gauge ballast train.

I have considered trying to make something like that in the past, something like the Proses ballast spreader in one truck, although with a bigger hopper if possible, and brush off the bottom of a second, and a third one to drip glue. but it would have a problem once it got to points!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember reading about that, and thinking what a great idea it was when Adrian built it. I don't think I had my Proses one then either, but I'm pretty sure I felt like I didn't have the skill to replicate it. Maybe I should have a go!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This weeks video is live!! (It's been there since Tuesday, I just always forget to post it here, sometimes I forget I have even scheduled a video! Join over 250 other people in subscribing to my YouTube channel to get notifications when videos do go live!)

We had another trip to the boy's layout this week, he is putting a lot of hard work into this layout, and I am rather jealous of it, I wish I had a layout that looked this good when I was 10!! (even if his stock choices are somewhat questionable)

Hope you enjoy!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is upon us!! and so nearly is the livestream!! This week we will be working on the chassis of @Skinnylinny's Will's LB&SCR D1 adding pickups and a motor, I can't wait to see you there tomorrow!

Could this be the last stream looking at the D1? Only one way to find out!

I'll be back tomorrow with the link, in the meantime, please enjoy the review of last weeks livestream!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well today has been very eventful! I will still be streaming, because I love it, and I love my viewers! but the content s subject to last minute adjustment.

Hope you can join us tonight at 9pm (UK)!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James, I had a slight accident while doing some DIY that meant emergency repairs to the house. So doing that has taken up most of the day, when I was supposed to be preparing for tonight. Still we'll have plenty to do, regardless of what I do and don't do.

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

I had a slight accident while doing some DIY that meant emergency repairs to the house. .....

I trust that there were no emergency repairs required to your good self?

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

What's this. A post on a Tuesday? Is Gary remembering to post a video on time? Is it a special occasion???#

Yes, it's a very special occasion, my YouTube channel has reached 250 subscribers, a number I thought I would never see, and so to thank everyone I have decided to do a giveaway. I did one of these for 100 subscribers as well, which again was a number that shocked me that I had reached it.

So thanks for supporting me everyone! (even if you aren't a subscriber). To enter the giveaway, click through to YouTube and leave a comment on the video!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

What is anyone going to do with 250 submarines? Must be a big harbour diorama?;)

Ask Adolf, he'll find a use for them!  :jester::diablo_mini:

Jim

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is upon us!! and unfortunatley I will not be offering any free submarines or food! We will however be returning to @Skinnylinny's Wills LB&SCR D1!

Work on the chassis swill commence at 9pm (UK) tomorrow! So make sure to be there!

I will return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime let me leave you with the review of last weeks stream, which saw a much changed schedule!

Hope you enjoy!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's Sunday, so it's livestream day!! Tonight at 9pm we will be working on @Skinnylinny's Wills LB&SCR D1 once more! We hope to get it running this evening, although I'm making no promises knowing issues I have had in the past! make sure you are there and don't miss any problems, or successes we have!!

See you there!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently people find it annoying when people only post YouTube links on their RMWeb thread, so I just thought I would come by with my usual Sunday evening message of:

We are LIVE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWPQBQ-o2U

PS. I might be back with some photos through the week, although if you can make the livestream, the loco I will show will be there in the background available for close ups

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I said something about photos of a loco I had done some things to, so why not post them now.

On Saturday I was looking at my Hornby W4 Peckett because of a conversation that I was having, someone kept saying I should cut the cab off and backdate it.

The loco had already been repainted, and had dumb buffers added by it's previous owner, I was not overly keen on the livery, but had no intention of changing it, but I was never a fan of the buffers, they had not been done as well as I would have liked. I also discovered that hte body would not sit on the chassis properly, so a deeper look into that had to happen as well (it turns out it was the DCC fitting, having been hardwired due to the lack of availability of the Hornby 4 pin chips)

So after being told to cut the cab off several times I decided to go for it. In the process the livery got damaged, as it turns out it hadn't been varnished, so it came off on my fingers!!

This is what we started with, if I had been planning on doing this, I would have gotten a better "before" picture

1462829261_2020-05-0211_28_05.jpg.7d4bf1d786536543c919180cfe40cab8.jpg

after a few hours work, yes really, this all happened on one day, we had something slightly different, the new bumb buffers are made from 2 layers of 60thou plasticard laminated together. The livery is not finished yet, and the hand rails are not attached to the loco properly so that can be removed for more paint, and lining, I shall post more pictures once that is done. The colour is closer to the second photo in real life.

1884609159_2020-05-0411_10_16.jpg.f41005f719bb2e1eebdd477d891611cc.jpg

1681994293_2020-05-0411_09_58.jpg.07c865f813270adc19ea3f139238cbbc.jpg

I guess I need to build some nice dumb buffered wagons to go with Lion now! (nameplates from my K's Lion kit that became Thunderbolt)

Gary

• Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

It's the day of the give away draw!! I'll have to contact the winner soon, unless they get in touch first that is!!

Well done to the winner, I hope you enjoy the wagon........ what?? Oh you want to know who won..... OK then.... have a look here:

Thanks to everyone that entered!!

Gary

• Like 2