The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is back! and after last weeks cancellation we are going to have a nother go at finishing some of the SE&CR 4 wheelers! Find out how we get on by being there at 9pm (UK) tomorrow!!

I'll be back with a link tomorrow, in the meantime I will leave you with a look at my LBSC locos (The ones that aren't terriers) as there was no livestream last weekend for me to review!!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing with ideas for the new layout! and specifically playing with the shed area. First of all, a reminder of the track plan since it's been a while

1118234571_OakHillMk2v9.PNG.da220f68d4267d5c789d9fa1db4c7895.PNG

and a picture of the shed building that that I will be using as inspiration for the new shed. I intend on modifying the existing buildings as much as I can.

shed.jpg.22f18a3200eded9f4f034399f767a8bc.jpg

So with that, I have found some timber the right size to play with mock ups, I am thinking that the coaling stage between the rails is looking a bit small, it is a scale 7ft x 18ft. It has been suggested to be elsewhere that I could make it longer and put a crane on it allowing it to have walls along it's long sides, and therefore store more coal. I think this would be suitable, as I only think it's too small because of not being able to have walls.

Thoughts very much appreciated

129447513_2020-07-0816_15_53.jpg.55cd8547d73109c820df105a34abc62d.jpg

and if anyone wants to know how I made the grounded SER Birdcage, I made a video! (warning it's a long one!!)

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Its the weekend!! so it's nearly time for the livestream!! This week we are aiming to finish the final carriages of the SE&CR 4 wheel rake!! Join us at 9pm (UK) tomorrow to see if we can manage it.

I will as always post the link tomorrow, but until then, please enjoy the review of last weeks livestream to see how far along the rake is now!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2020 at 16:49, BlueLightning said:

I've been playing with ideas for the new layout! and specifically playing with the shed area. First of all, a reminder of the track plan since it's been a while

1118234571_OakHillMk2v9.PNG.da220f68d4267d5c789d9fa1db4c7895.PNG

and a picture of the shed building that that I will be using as inspiration for the new shed. I intend on modifying the existing buildings as much as I can.

shed.jpg.22f18a3200eded9f4f034399f767a8bc.jpg

So with that, I have found some timber the right size to play with mock ups, I am thinking that the coaling stage between the rails is looking a bit small, it is a scale 7ft x 18ft. It has been suggested to be elsewhere that I could make it longer and put a crane on it allowing it to have walls along it's long sides, and therefore store more coal. I think this would be suitable, as I only think it's too small because of not being able to have walls.

Thoughts very much appreciated

129447513_2020-07-0816_15_53.jpg.55cd8547d73109c820df105a34abc62d.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Gary,

My question is do you want it bigger for aesthetic reasons, or for railway practical ones?  The first is of course is how would you want it to look, the other is how much coal can the coaling stage hold and how many locos will it fill up before it needs to be replenished?  If it is the latter then you have to try and change it, if the former then it is up to you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think you did show a photo of a shed with the coaling stage between the lines but my feeling is that with the dimensions of your shed, the space available for it is too narrow. Inside the shed there will be inspection pits on both roads but where are the ashpits?

One has to consider the operating sequence. An engine coming on shed would have smokebox and ashpan cleared out on arrival and would also usually, I believe, have its coal and water replenished before being stabled. Engines coming off shed ought not be bottled up by engines going through the disposal procedure. If there is enough length, one can have a double-track section on the entry line that has the ashpit and coaling stage, which converges before the shed. On you plan, it looks as if you have space for that, if the turntable is off the disposal line:

251594502_Straightshedplan.jpg.f84b4261884a5d0f86604ed15edf6efc.jpg

The alternative if length is short is to have these facilities on a line alongside the shed.

I'm not familiar with LBSC shed layouts; they may have done things differently. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

thanks for the input guys!!

Chris,

Yes I want to extend for practical reasons. I just can't see that size stage working for that size of shed

Stephen,

I quite like that idea, I will have to have a play. I'm not sure I have space for a 3rd road for coaling facilities, it is something I had thought about myself.

As for the width, this is the original coal stage from Three Bridges (which is where my shed building is based on, although it predates that building, and I suspect the facilities were much smaller)

1593713270_2020-07-0911_20_46.jpg.3435c1214bc046d3d21193224002ddd6.jpg

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Corbs said:

You could also do that with a crossover instead of the convergence, to avoid a bottleneck?

Yes, though it would need to be a scissors crossover; a shed yard would go for simplicity. For a smallish two-road shed, I don't think there would be quite so many movements on and off shed as to make the simple arrangement a handicap.

Where is the shed in @BlueLightning's photo?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Where is the shed in @BlueLightning's photo?

Yes as Annie has just beat me to saying it's Three Bridges, there were a few other sheds on the LBSC network that were similar but different sizes, but Three Bridges is the one I'm using, as it's the one I have the best photos of

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Yes as Annie has just beat me to saying it's Three Bridges, there were a few other sheds on the LBSC network that were similar but different sizes, but Three Bridges is the one I'm using, as it's the one I have the best photos of

Gary

So as yours is only a two-road shed, "Two Bridges"? I went to the NLS website but their 25" maps weren't very helpful; it looked as though the shed was under construction c. 1910, replacing an earlier shed down the bank immediately to the west of the station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

1593713270_2020-07-0911_20_46.jpg.3435c1214bc046d3d21193224002ddd6.jpg

Nice pair of Stephenson Clarke wagons there fulfilling the loco coal contract. 

I built a pair of the whitemetal kits from Roxey for the dumb-buffered version but I see the rather high-spec resin body for the standard sprung-buffered version is now available from Brassmasters. I had been going to save myself £1 by getting some at ExpoEM or Scaleforum...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

looked as though the shed was under construction c. 1910, replacing an earlier shed down the bank immediately to the west of the station.

Yes, the shed I am using as my inspiration was the 3rd shed at Three Bridges. So it's rather late construction makes sense.

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Nice pair of Stephenson Clarke wagons there fulfilling the loco coal contract. 

I built a pair of the whitemetal kits from Roxey for the dumb-buffered version but I see the rather high-spec resin body for the standard sprung-buffered version is now available from Brassmasters. I had been going to save myself £1 by getting some at ExpoEM or Scaleforum...

It's almost like you know I am planning a Brassmasters order and want to add more things to it! :jester:

I do believe that 5&9 has been working on bring his Stephenson Clark wagons back into production as well, so plenty of choice!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BlueLightning said:

I do believe that 5&9 has been working on bring his Stephenson Clark wagons back into production as well, so plenty of choice!

Interesting. I was under the impression that the Roxey "Chatham" kits and a number of the 5&9 kits originated from the same Woodham Wagon Works stable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You are right about them coming from Woodham Wagons Works, I have recently seen a picture of the Stephenson Clark masters that Chris Cox holds, so I assume there must be more than one set in existence.

Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that the Roxey "Chatham" kits and a number of the 5&9 kits originated from the same Woodham Wagon Works stable.

59 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

You are right about them coming from Woodham Wagons Works, I have recently seen a picture of the Stephenson Clark masters that Chris Cox holds, so I assume there must be more than one set in existence.

Gary

I'm sure Chris or Burgundy (Woodham Wagon Works) will soon be on to put the record straight, but as I understand it the Roxey kits for dumb-buffered wagons came from WWW, whilst the rest of the Chatham range came from an entirely different source.

I believe Chris Cox has produced an entirely new Stephenson Clarke wagon kit, to a different design from both the WWW and Brassmasters types, so even more variety!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Nick is spot on. The Parry and SC PO wagons and the Brighton ballast wagon kits in the Roxey range originated with Woodham Wagon Works. Chatham kits arrived in the Roxey range (? from Peter Chatham - hence the name?) and I think Dave H found it convenient to brand all the goods stock together.   

Best wishes 

Eric 

PS Word has it that the 5&9 SC kit will have these new fangled buffers. 

Edited by burgundy
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and we are preparing to start a new project on this weeks livestream!! Join us at 9pm (UK) tomorrow for the start of the LB&SCR D3 by Golden Arrow!!

I shall return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime, please enjoy the review of last weekends livestream!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

It' new project day!!! Tonight we will be starting work on the LB&SCR D3 by Golden Arrow Models, I got this kit back when they were first released, and recently managed to get a Hornby M7 to donate it's chassis and a few other parts.

The loco will be being finished as number 370 (ex. Haywards Heath) in umber. Join us tonight to see how easy or hard this kit is!

Gary

• Like 2