The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Haywards Heath 175

Yesterday was spent operating the club's n gauge layout Oakley at Haywards Heath 175 with my daughter. It was a very enjoyable day and there was plenty of LB&SCR layouts in attendance. I got some pictures of these as well as some of Oakley.

Some of the pictures have some out really poor but I have attached the best ones below.

Enjoy.

Gary

Oakley - n gauge - Uckfield MRC

post-22762-0-56750400-1491917105_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-37769900-1491917106_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-29615000-1491917107_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-23408900-1491917108_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-15101300-1491917109_thumb.jpg

Matthew Cousins - Railway Artist - 0 gauge

post-22762-0-93153200-1491917103_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-73205700-1491917104_thumb.jpg

Pett Marine - 0 gauge

post-22762-0-96836200-1491917109_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-39889700-1491917112_thumb.jpg

Plumpton Green - p4

post-22762-0-28766800-1491917113_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-15166900-1491917114_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-05309400-1491917115_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-05204100-1491917116_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-98914900-1491917116_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well in case you hadn't guessed my mojo has gone walkabouts again. I'm still enjoying railways and spend a lot of time on RMWeb but not really feeling like doing any modelling at the moment. I have tried to do things to get myself interested again but not a lot has happened, in fact I only have 1 picture to show you.

I have got some Platform Lamps cheap on eBay and these have been painted to look like LBSCR ones, which I think they do quite nicely. I have also got some Mike Pett figures which include a fireman, a station porter and 2 other figures that I would appreciate if someone could tell me who they are. I also fancy doing something different with one of my terriers if anyone has ideas then please let me know.

post-22762-0-30714700-1491917523_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

HI Gary,

Don't worry...your mojo will reappear. Same stuff happens to all of us .

In the middle of a house move at the moment...layout dismantled...everything packed away into boxes...yuck!  Hopefully in four weeks time the new house will materialise and all my LBSCR toys can rematerialise and the mojo will get into overdrive. 

The moral is don't give up..fresh inspiration is round the corner...just  look at Plumpton....if that doesn't make you drool nothing will.

Craig [surrounded by boxes] in deepest Wales.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your words Craig, it is much appreciated.

Hope the house move goes well, I haven't done that is 10 years and will do everything in my power to not have to do it again, and I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say we would love to see your "LBSCR toys" once they rematerialise

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your right Richard. 2 were converted to 2-4-0T's in 1905 for working auto trains on the Brighton-Kemp Town and Brighton-Worthing services. This seems like a nice easy project and I may well give it a go, then Ill need to make some appropriate carriages to go with them.

Gary

• Like 1

Your right Richard. 2 were converted to 2-4-0T's in 1905 for working auto trains on the Brighton-Kemp Town and Brighton-Worthing services. This seems like a nice easy project and I may well give it a go, then Ill need to make some appropriate carriages to go with them.

Gary

Kemp Town would make a great little layout - as was suggested on the Umber is the New Black topic last year - and was the haunt of both Railmotors and Motortrains. As the Hornby/Dapol Terrier is rear axle driven, the conversion ought to be quite possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Kemp town would make a great layout. I would love to give it a go but with me currently having 3 layouts, although 1 is for sale, my son having 1, and me having 2 more planned for the future I think the misses would go mad if I planned another one, although it would be apt as I share a name with a certain 1980's songwriter/guitarist.

A nice little project like converting a terrier to a 2-4-0T seems like just the thing to get me going again, does anyone know what diameter the leading wheel set was??

Gary

• Like 1

Afternoon Gary,

Leading Terrier wheel set was 2ft 9ins in old money according to the Brian Haresnape Stroudley Loco Book. It sez here that numbers 81/82 were converted and subsequentl;y in 1913 returned to 0-6-0 configuration. Coupled wheels were 4ft diameter.

Hope that helps!

Cheers 

Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Craig,

I have some 12mm 10 spoked wheels so I think these will be close enough, unless someone really wants to argue about .5mm on either side of the axle. Guess Ill have to get the IEG paint out later and see how they look.

Gary

• Like 2

Thanks Craig,

I have some 12mm 10 spoked wheels so I think these will be close enough, unless someone really wants to argue about .5mm on either side of the axle. Guess Ill have to get the IEG paint out later and see how they look.

Gary

Whilst Boxhill retained some form of Stroudley livery - some sources have claimed it was in Goods Green with passenger lining, but recent debate has dismissed that idea, but the lining was non-standard, with the distinctive re-entrant corners simplified, the other loco, No 81, came out of the works in an early umber livery without name.

Yes Kemp town would make a great layout. I would love to give it a go but with me currently having 3 layouts, although 1 is for sale, my son having 1, and me having 2 more planned for the future I think the misses would go mad if I planned another one, although it would be apt as I share a name with a certain 1980's songwriter/guitarist.

A nice little project like converting a terrier to a 2-4-0T seems like just the thing to get me going again, does anyone know what diameter the leading wheel set was??

Gary

Not only that, but there is no way I can build the required supports in for any more layouts on top of the already planned building works :)

• RMweb Gold

Not only that, but there is no way I can build the required supports in for any more layouts on top of the already planned building works :)

I'm sure we could squeeze it in, do I really need a kitchen?? I could just have a take away every night! :no:

Gary

• Like 3

There is currently a photo of Beulah as a 2-4-0T on ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photo-LBSCR-A1-81-Beulah-LB-SCR-Stroudley-2-4-0T-Loco-SR-/142130122943?hash=item21179d90bf:g:OPAAAOSw8gVX6XLp but it is ending within 22 hours!  It isn't the clearest view I have seen of this combination, but it is not one I have seen before.

• RMweb Gold

'Twas a joke dear.

For anyone wondering Pinksparkled is my darling misses who is very wonderful in every way, and also spies on me on RMWeb for some unknown reason. Its almost as if she thinks I might come up with ideas for more layouts.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would never dream of doing such things, not me.

As she likes to tell me I have enough already. I must remember to make statements like this occasionally. I hope she thinks I mean it. Who has ever heard of having enough??

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The misses says you lot are a bad influence on me, if I were you I'd take that as a compliment.

post-22762-0-46779400-1491917808_thumb.jpg

That is the same terrier as was in the above shot with the lamp posts. until the 2-4-0T configuration was suggested to me it was Bodiam in K&ESR Blue livery. I think it looks much better in Umber. I have moved the sandboxes that Hornby put on the front backwards and I had put sand pipes on but the one on this side has already fallen off. With it coming off that quick I may not bother to replace it but I am quite happy with how this has come out. Just some transfers and number plates to order now.

and evidently I found a nice shot of number 81 on Edwardian's "Umber is the New Black" thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104321-umber-is-the-new-black/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2187006

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 7