BlueLightning

The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - Planning a new layout!

and the day is here!! are we all ready for another live stream? Tonight 9PM BST

• Like 2

Hey everyone!!

Finally found time to do a post stream update!! The brake van we have been working on is coming along quite nicely, this week will have more paint, a roof, and hopefully some handrails. As well as possibly a few more details, but that will depend on time, and dry paint! So without further ado, a picture of where we are

1229384539_2019-04-0118_13_52.jpg.a75741fb586c239901fa7c841fafc7a3.jpg

I also mentioned the fact that we will be building a full layout on stream some time ago, this was actually shown off on the previous weeks stream, however I have not yet shown it here! So I present the reason this thread has become "The Oak Hill Branch", and the new "Stream Layout" South Park Quarry!

280443143_2019-03-2419_03.15-1.jpg.46a921cc7d6c33dc37db355dd5a62ed7.jpg

The plan is a simple inglenook, with the ability for trains to come in, and the loco to run round, before shunting the wagons into the siding and disappearing off scene, the inglenook will then be shunted by a private loco based in the quarry, although shown as a Peckett on here, plans for that have changed so the loco will be something different, and hopefully more interesting! I would love some feedback on the plan if anyone has any thoughts

For those that don't remember some time ago SEM planned out some maps of the branch for me, and this included the addition of South Park Quarry, a real quarry, although obviously not rail served in reality, so a map is below to show the branch in it's entirety:

1844930293_FinalMap.jpg.9404e67d855bcc2d3ec242c56be709dd.jpg

So I guess when this (and Hailsham) are finished I'll have to model Fordcombe (and Groombridge?)!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not watched South Park in years!! but that's what I always think of when I read or say it as well!!!

Another weekend is here, which can mean only one thing! Tomorrow 9PM (BST) We are live on YouTube!! and I would love to see you there! Can we get the brake van finished? You'll have to come along to find out!

Back with a link tomorrow!

Gary

428853632_LetsBuildEpisode3.jpg.61c51d1e66274ef72681ffdcdfd4a232.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!!

I have been doing some modelling again!! I have this week been chopping up a Tri-ang 7 plank wagon to make it look a bit more like an LBSC wagon, I will leave this comparison picture here for you to decide how well I did:

1957061055_2019-04-1319_24_59.jpg.c5246e7e69a26e471eeceb0b398f8cd3.jpg

I have every intention of doing the same to the other wagon at some point in the future...... perhaps on one of my Sunday night Livestreams!! 9pm UK time!!! Don't forget to pop along as this week should see the brake van project finished, and moving onto something new!

581658112_LetsBuildEpisode4.jpg.0cf334708d603a1956042aab22660f32.jpg

Gary

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On the assumption, there will be knowledgeable modellers of the S.E.Rly here.... :rolleyes:
Can somebody explain how the upper spectacles on the signals are intended to display a light through them?
The lower arms have a lamp behind them.
The upper spectacles are at a different angle and I can't make out any lamp fittings.
The extract is from a 1893 photo of Hastings Station, copyrighted,
from the Tonbridge Historical Society Collection, their Negative No. 6B.
As I haven't obtained permission to reproduce the whole or majority of the photo., I haven't. :)
The clarity of the detail is because thise is a contact print from the original wholeplate photo.

Hastings Signals .jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

There looks to be a lamp built into the casting at the top of the post: a hint of a frame around what might be a lens. 

It’s an interesting design: not seen it before.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Regularity said:

There looks to be a lamp built into the casting at the top of the post: a hint of a frame around what might be a lens. 

I see what you mean.
Totally off topic, I had a lot of difficulty at one time understanding how the 'Dipping Rig' on a 1881 Mackerel Driver was lowered/raised etc., until I managed to get up very close to the top of a mast - there's a pully situated within the top of the mast.

• Like 2

Not much more than 6 hours to go!! Will be soon be live with the end of the brake van project and the beginning of the next!! Hope to see you there!

Never having participated in such a thing before, it was a rather interesting if odd experience - the asymmetry in the discussion is peculiar, with the time delay in posting a reply to something Gary has said addressing one directly. My internet connection couldn't keep up - must have known it was past my bedtime - so I dropped out a bit after 11pm. I don't think my parting comment got posted: I said I would be looking forward to seeing the sides of Linny's laser-cut carriage assembled, especially how the tumblehome is done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stephen,

Was great to have you there last night! I agree the time delay from things being posted to me seeing them and being able to respond is odd, it has taken some getting used to from my end, and can sometimes result in me having to wait if I have asked for feedback.

The issues that we had just after 11pm were my end, I had to restart the stream for us to carry on, we ended just before midnight, with the chassis for Linny's carriage finished, so we will indeed be starting on the body next time! I am already looking forward to it, and hope you can be there to see how it is done.

I'll get some pictures taken so I can upload the progress from last night.

Gary

PS. I haven't had the final figured through from YouTube yet, but we apparently had 37 viewers in total last night! A number which to me seems incredible!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

I don't know if you've found these yet, but there are settings in StreamLabs to adjust the latancy/video quality compromise.

As for YouTube viewer analytics, that's a whole minefield of ego-surfing that I don't recommend getting too deep into!

Edited by TurboSnail
Spelling
  • Like 1

I have not seen that setting Tom, the extent of my playing with Streamlabs so far has been to break the chat module, the chat should show up in the top left of the screen, covering the cork board, but it has never worked. I'll have to have a look for that one!

I don't check the YouTube analytics often, so far I have always been happy as we stay quite consistent with viewer numbers and watch time.

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would come and put an update covering last weeks stream before announcing this weeks one.

So last week we finally finished the brake van project, I am very happy with how this has come out! The first bit of stock built for South Park Quarry, and also suitable for Hailsham:

1467105382_2019-04-1517_17_18.jpg.f4fbacfdd3a242a6c1d6b526e480cb06.jpg

In advance of last weeks stream I also gave an identity to my older as built Stroudley Brake:

829620417_2019-04-1517_17_45.jpg.387fb405e0d5f5038b143fbf25fd6a75.jpg

With that project finished I got going on the next project, a Laser cut Stroudley 4 wheeler from one of @Skinnylinny's kits. We got the chassis built last week, so will be starting on the body this week!

456999177_2019-04-1517_17_56.jpg.55d3ecded36f5623275d16296d28e148.jpg

Which diagram? You ask, You'll have to tune in this Sunday at 9pm to find out!

Gary

• Like 8

Time for this weeks announcement! Having had a pretty rough week I am rather looking forward to tomorrow nights livestream, hopefully see some of you there! We will be working on the body for @Skinnylinny's Laser cut LB&SCR 4 wheel carriages! Back tomorrow with the link!

804990217_LetsBuildEpisode5.jpg.f234d507e79dee01ccbc3b61e58b3cf9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry, Gary, I'll have to send my apologies for tonight's broadcast, but I'll definitely catch up with it asap on YouTube.

Hope you, and all your readers, are having a great Easter! 

• Like 1

Hi Gary

A good broadcast last night , quality of the stream really good! Nice to chat with you and all as well! Thanks for your time and effort,  brilliant. 

Cheers Ian in Blackpool 

• Thanks 1