The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Yes they did. It is a very nice model it is the Bachmann??? 0 Gauge???? pewter model scaled down to 00 track size, I think this one actually comes out at somewhere between h0 and 00 in scale but it does look nice, I have considered trying to motorise mine which would be a huge challenge.

Gary

• Like 2

Technically the C Class is Bachmann in that "Great British Locomotives" ripped off faithfully reproduced R-T-R locos just on static chassis then sold them for £7.99 each!! I got the full set.

Yes wartime grey is a bit late for 1905 but the first N Class didn't roll out of Ashford until 1917!! and it was in Wartime Grey, and since I had it I couldn't leave it sitting in BR condition!!

Gary

Well, I just learnt something =)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening friends! I hope today finds you well!

I would like to start this update with the news that my phone has been upgraded and as a result Oak Hill can be seen in HD!!!!

Have a look at this example:

post-22762-0-10398700-1501613514_thumb.jpg

Which leads us nicely into our next point, the Bachmann Stroudley's, and more precisely their couplings, the distance between them has always bothered me, I present you an old image showing how they did look:

post-22762-0-27211500-1501613705_thumb.jpg

In reality the gap between the carriages was only 11", there were no end buffers and the connection between them resembled more of a single central buffer on each carriage, this can be seen in the very good LBSCR Carriages Volume 1. So I stripped them apart to see what could be done:

post-22762-0-89546200-1501613515_thumb.jpg

The new coupling is made from plastic tube inserted through holes I made in the buffer beam, and gives them a much better appearance:

post-22762-0-46175900-1501613517_thumb.jpg

and that was all I planned on doing this week! However we all know how that goes, so after seeing Compound's H&P wagons he is building on his thread I decided I needed to make the ironwork on my PO wagons black:

post-22762-0-01890300-1501613515_thumb.jpg

A nice easy job that really does improve the look of the wagons.

I then decided that I really should have a crew in my Manning Wardle, especially since it has an open cab, However I had no people to represent them, I remembered that I had the Dapol Rocket kit and that has a crew, so these were chopped about a bit, although keeping the top hats, they are old fashioned just like their engine, and I then did my first ever figure painting!! I really would like some feedback on these:

post-22762-0-25306500-1501613513_thumb.jpg

I'm sure most people would have been happy with this much work in a week, however I really was enjoying the modelling so the 1866 covered goods wagon that I was converting from a Tri-ang wagon was finished, and yes it is a Tri-ang wagon under there:

post-22762-0-65001200-1501613511_thumb.jpg

Now I really was happy, however I ended up having today off work which meant sitting at home and I had to do something, (fans of talking trains that are of a sensitive nature should look away now), My E2 got stripped down, had a new smokebox dart, some lamp irons and a coat of paint:

post-22762-0-46283100-1501613512_thumb.jpg

and I think it looks better already! or at least it will once I put it back together!! Just the lining and identity to do before it can be a Really Use...... NO!! None of that here.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 5

Gary, 

I must say that your work is encouraging me to press on with Midhurst . The effect created with close coupling the coaches really does make a difference and looks much more realistic

Keep up the good work

Michael

• RMweb Premium

Busy,busy,busy! A lot of jobs cleared there, I particularly like the close coupled sets appearance. Dunno about the top hats, though, a bit too early for your period. I'd be inclined to either reshape by filing or chop and replace to get a peaked enginemans cap?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Northroader,

I am a lot happier with the carriages now.

I considered altering the hats, I chickened out! mainly because I'm not sure I could get something that looks right, it doesn't mean it won't get done in the future when I'm feeling brave though, after all I had always been to scared to paint my own figures before!!

Gary

• Like 2

Well, some treats here.  Close coupling very effective.  Do like that little box van; I was thinking, 'what a lovely kit built van' until I read the caption.

Very well painted figures.  Very impressive as a first go. Not so sure about top hats though!

"What's happened to my nice blue paint and red stripes, and where are my tank extensions", moaned Thomas.

"It's just a disguise, so you can attend Railex", answered the Fat Controller.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I am very happy with the Tri-ang van, just need to add some detailing to it, I am not bothering to much with the chassis as it will mostly be hidden, to explain it on Oak Hill it must have been sat at the end of the siding for 20+ years!! Some very heavy weather will be needed.

I really don't know what to do with the top hats, I would like to get rid of them but what do I replace them with? bear in mind I don't have a massive stock of figures, and no railway workers!!

"Thomas" will at least get his red lining back! Although it will say LBSC where he would expect a number 1!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the cross-link! Black ironwork is a job for when you've got good light, hayfever under control (don't want to sneeze at the wrong moment) and the house to yourself...

I like the close-coupling - with fixed couplings, the whole rake should move as a single unit, which is what a passenger train should do - especially a close-coupled set. (I have a plan for a close-coupled set of Midland 6-wheelers but there are several hurdles to overcome.) Tension locks are good for simulating the behaviour of a loose-coupled goods train, even if the wagons can't buffer up, but on my 1950s coaching stock I've taken to using the Roco type couplings.

I hope you will excuse a gratuitous picture of the famous No. 1, just for Edwardian:

post-29416-0-61977400-1501626162_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes the black iron was quite fiddly, but doing the shirts and neck ties on the loco crew made it seem easy!!

I am still not 100% decided on what couplings to use for goods stock as well as connecting locos to trains, I am however playing with 3-links and screw links. I even found a bag of them earlier today and was toying with the idea of putting screw links onto one of my Terriers!

I will indeed excuse the picture of the famous engine, he was built at Brighton after all!!

Gary

• Like 3

Hi Gary.

I also think your figure painting is rather good.

I would recommend the Dapol Railway Workers set for figures.

They were originally Airfix, one of the last figure sets to be made, and always in proper (the paint stays on!) Polystyrene Plastic.

Based on illustrations from the 1930s I think (LMS Posters?) the figures are rather good.

The set includes loco crew, and some of the P-way workers can get "up-graded" to loco crew quite easily.

I have used some on Ffrwd Locks, and inside the odd loco as well....

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For Edwardian railwaymen, look at the Andrew Stadden site. This is the set you need:

ec935c_6a4615aefea440d894c3fc4ccdb7338b~

See https://www.acstadden.co.uk/product-page/oo7-edwardian-enginemen

and the thread on RMWeb: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74787-4mm-edwardian-figures/

Beware, though, you might end up spending a lot of money.

Jonathan

(no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I like your figures, they are very well done.  As for the hats, I am going to have an 1860s coach, well three probably with 1860s people and no attempt to have any reason for them being there than that the train is a bit late.  If you have an old locomotive, then why not?  I have some bowler hats but they are still a bit early and only the 'gaffer', the driver, would wear one.  I think caps were coming in by 1905 so you could cut a cap off a Dapol figure and put it in the hat's place.  The set is really too late for you without modification.  (The Dapol station passenger set is useful but again needs backdating.)  You know about the Stadden figures, although it would be an expensive way to add a head, although you could then keep the whiskers which if you used a Dapol head  you would lose.  There is of course Langley which could be chopped up.  I have tried making hats and have never managed to get them small enough.

I also like the close coupling, something my tight curves on my layout will not allow.

Edit:  I cross posted with Jonathan, my figures are of course totally 'armless

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Johnathon,

I am aware of Andrew Stadden's rather wonderful work! I have however avoided it mainly due to spending the modelling funds elsewhere, my last lot of figures I got 30 for a tenner on eBay!

Does he still make his figure of Stroudley? I could see him looking good standing outside the works!

Thanks Chris,

I may attempt modifying the hats, but I'm not sure how well it will go, I have never really got on with modelling putty so that will be no good but it is the only idea I can think of.

You would be surprised at the curves the close coupling can get round, Oak Hill is laid with Peco set track points and they can negotiate them just fine.

Gary

• Like 2

Thanks Sarah,

I shall look into them, will they suit my Edwardian period?

Gary

They are readily adaptable.

I tend to take off the front trouser crease and cut any coat lapels higher.  Greenstuff can easily add facial hair.

Here is Geoff and Bert, or, possibly, Bert and Geoff, I can never remember:

post-25673-0-36566100-1501700758_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

and there is the problem, modelling putties are my weak point! I must try again sometime, but I usually just end up making a mess!!

Gary

Funny, because I'm useless with many things, but very comfortable at modifying and painting figures - here repositioning arm on one and adding waistcoat to the other, for instance - which is something I would undertake without a moment's thought. 

Whereas, Silhouette brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You certainly do model people well. I have been wanting to do some figures for quite a while, these were basically my test subjects, I am happy with how they came out and will try more.

But you do much more than that well! Just look at your town!! It is incredible, I only wish for the ability to put together stuff like that.

Gary

• Like 1

You are far, far too kind, but I'd happily trade houses and people for Silhouette-cut coach sides!

It always amazes me when I read a layout article where the owner has, say, kit-built a locomotive stud, but is not really comfortable with producing buildings.

And many very fine layouts, far better than I could manage, have very poorly painted people, though I think that is changing as better figure-painting techniques have been popularised.

It just goes to show, we're all different!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You are far, far too kind, but I'd happily trade houses and people for Silhouette-cut coach sides!

I may have access to a cutter but Steve (Londontram) is doing the artwork for me, and a bl00dy good job he is doing as well!! What I have seen so far is much better than anything I would ever have been able to do, I am looking forward to his test cuts being done, but as he knows I am in no rush for this as I have plenty to do on Oak Hill without them.

Gary

• Like 2

There is a very good model figure site....Plastic Soldier Review.....which covers Airfix and Dapol Railway figures, etc....

I think the Dapol Railway Workmen have the most potential...flat caps and bowler hats....

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1161

The Dapol Platform Figures are probably not so useful, as it includes passengers......

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1162

For completeness....Dapol also make a version of the Airfix Platform Accessories....

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=430

• Like 1