The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

Stroudley was rebuilding a Crewe type engine. No doubt it made him think about front ends very carefully.

Before going to the Highland, Stroudley had been works manager at Cowlairs, under S.W. Johnson, and with Dugald Drummond as his assistant - what times they must have had! 

His earliest locomotive experience was with Daniel Gooch at Swindon, then with Charles Sacre at Peterborough on the Great Northern (along with S.W. Johnson) - all answering to Arichibald Sturrock at Doncaster - Sturrock had also trained under Gooch.

So never in the Crewe orbit at all.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2019 at 06:39, BlueLightning said:

1585994047_2019-03-0216_49_27.jpg.5d05ed2a305f0006896af9bdab55aae5.jpg

All in all I am rather happy with this imaginary loco, I would love to hear what other people think, although at the moment there is no guarantee the model will continue.

Gary

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!.........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Looking again, moving the trailing wheels back would make it rather tricky for the crew to get into the cab - so go with it as it is, with plenty of lead in the boiler.

Jonathan

Plenty of examples where the crew had to climb over a splasher or a set of springs to get into the cab, many of them perpetrated by Mr Craven. I don't think the word ergonomics had been invented and health and safety was  not a high priority in those days.

P1010307.JPG.292b75b989867504aeeca0f9256e51dc.JPG

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hey everyone!!

On Sunday at 9PM I'm gonna do something, that for a man with my social anxiety is very scary!! I'm gonna do some modelling on camera, live! would be great to see a few friends there if you are about!

I imagine the first part of the stream will be me failing at getting the stream working, but that's kinda why I'm doing this, if it goes well this is something I would like to make regular.

See you there!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Ma3oblCBkUmeQTE9_movQ/

1108302031_LetsBuildEpisode0.jpg.d9c509624d4d2d0a5682dd355f82d6e5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Friendly reminder that at 9PM tomorrow my workbench goes live!! Plan have been made for this to become a long term series, Including the build of a new layout!! I am still extremely nervous about this, but never the less ready to go!! Back tomorrow with a link to the stream!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Ma3oblCBkUmeQTE9_movQ/

1782929553_2019-03-1423_21_36.jpg.59a4275af53b1451f723effe85857f54.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to those that came tonight, the support I got was great, I had a great time and I think this is going to be a regular thing for a Sunday evening now.

517962611_2019-03-1807_53_28.jpg.605a5cb8b3aac30260b8e39e8c721caf.jpg

Hopefully by next weekend I will have the new laser cut baseboards for the stream layout, so we can spend some time looking at them and discussing my ideas for that, as well as continuing work on the brake van

Gary 

Edited by BlueLightning
Edited to add a photo of the parts made on stream
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone!!

A delivery came today!! which shall lead to a name change for this thread, and gives us something to look at in tomorrow nights stream!!

457439347_2019-03-2312_31_30.jpg.0f05c93726afd67db8640513b9b2c776.jpg

Hope to see some of you there! I'll pop back with a link to the stream tomorrow.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm having a prune of the YouTube livestream stuff, so that it isn't filling the thread with video links and making it unreadable.

To watch back the old livestreams the playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLswNrMNIgc4l37TbTw-rXMqMF2_CoZjTj

To watch the review videos that summarise what happened on the livestreams the playlist is here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLswNrMNIgc4kTshNIaAtnj0wdz0nBRSJw

Edited by BlueLightning
Cleaning up the thread and getting rid of all the YouTube promotion
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's understandable Chris,

9 o'clock was chosen because the kids are generally asleep by then, and Sunday as it was my only day available to do it. The stream will still be available to watch after if you want to see though.

I will get some photos of ideas for the layout and post them here at some point as well.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks @Jack P, hope to see you there next week. I guess that'll be 9AM Monday morning for you?

The baseboards are Scale Model Scenery Laser cut boards, excellent boards, practically built themselves!

Thanks @The Midland Mole Despite the issues I had I think it went well and I was very happy with where we ended!

Gary

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Thanks @Jack P, hope to see you there next week. I guess that'll be 9AM Monday morning for you?

The baseboards are Scale Model Scenery Laser cut boards, excellent boards, practically built themselves!

That's the one, I'll have to set an alarm. Later starts on Monday affords me the luxury of waking up a little later than normal, as such I'm usually up late on Sunday night/Monday morning

Oh excellent, I've just ordered some similar boards, on the advice of Chris Nevard. I must say they look so simple to use!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Setting an alarm to watch me!! I feel honoured sir! I also feel rather jealous of this "Later starts on Monday" sounds excellent!!

You've ordered boards?!?! Does this mean a layout if finally happening to host all that wonderful stock of yours? If they are the Tim Horn ones then you won't regret it. I have seen some up close and they are excellent!

Gary

• Like 1

Haha, I wouldn't want to sleep in and miss it! I start at 2pm my time on Mondays - the trade off is I don't finish until 10pm, but u'm in an office, so it's hardly the hardest thing in the world.

I may have made a bit of an error, it's just A board (single) - I've decided that I need somewhere that's not my desk to display stock, and take photos. It also gives me a chance to do some scenic building for a change! Yeah, the Tim Horn ones are what I went with, lots of those lazer cut baseboards look relatively similar in design anyways, i'm looking forward to building it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

@Jack P I don't feel jealous knowing you don't finish until 10PM!! I much prefer my early finishes! Plus I have to get up early even if I'm not working to do school runs. Looking forward to seeing some scenic work from yourself!

@Corbs Clearly I was being punished for the things I said about Kadees LOL!! Still prefer my link couplings though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hey everyone!!

Finally found time to do a post stream update!! The brake van we have been working on is coming along quite nicely, this week will have more paint, a roof, and hopefully some handrails. As well as possibly a few more details, but that will depend on time, and dry paint! So without further ado, a picture of where we are

1229384539_2019-04-0118_13_52.jpg.a75741fb586c239901fa7c841fafc7a3.jpg

I also mentioned the fact that we will be building a full layout on stream some time ago, this was actually shown off on the previous weeks stream, however I have not yet shown it here! So I present the reason this thread has become "The Oak Hill Branch", and the new "Stream Layout" South Park Quarry!

280443143_2019-03-2419_03.15-1.jpg.46a921cc7d6c33dc37db355dd5a62ed7.jpg

The plan is a simple inglenook, with the ability for trains to come in, and the loco to run round, before shunting the wagons into the siding and disappearing off scene, the inglenook will then be shunted by a private loco based in the quarry, although shown as a Peckett on here, plans for that have changed so the loco will be something different, and hopefully more interesting! I would love some feedback on the plan if anyone has any thoughts

For those that don't remember some time ago SEM planned out some maps of the branch for me, and this included the addition of South Park Quarry, a real quarry, although obviously not rail served in reality, so a map is below to show the branch in it's entirety:

1844930293_FinalMap.jpg.9404e67d855bcc2d3ec242c56be709dd.jpg

So I guess when this (and Hailsham) are finished I'll have to model Fordcombe (and Groombridge?)!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1