The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked over the second half of last night's stream, after I had retired! That looks a very interesting kit and really worked having Linny there as well, adding a voiceover where needed and comments all the time. 

I would be very interested in a better photo of the completed I3 so I can see the lining and lettering clearly. I have seen a couple of 7mm examples of it in use but this is the first 4mm I have seen. Would be interested to find out if anything needs further work, what the instructions were like etc. 

I found the etch drawings of the LCDR carriages and a photo of some of them made up for the layout. These are from right to left: 3rd Bk, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd Bk.  There is also a Compo etched but not shown. Hope these are of interest. Cheers Ian571706093_LCDRcarriages.jpg.e399fd6018f56729cb1beeac50f8814c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Thanks for the feedback on the livestream, I was very happy with how it went, and we have been discussing ways for doing more collaborations in future!

Those carriages are fantastic!! I definitely want a rake of those!! and I can think of a couple of other people that would as well!

I have taken a better picture of the I3 for you, and to show here. For those that want to see what it was like before, this I3 was my first kit build, and can be found somewhere close to the start of the thread, I'll find a link later if I get time / remember!

I shall leave it to @Skinnylinny to answer questions about the transfers as they have done the work on that front! (and a fantastic job they did!)

Gary

679746297_2019-10-2209_55_03.jpg.5f7b0f99a40840a7546ba5ae2a122466.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Just finished uploading my video for the 2019 Uckfield exhibition, I didn't get much time for looking at the layouts, with running around, meeting online friends for the first time, and playing with Aerodrome Park (5 hours on the Saturday, and some more on the Sunday) (plus 10 minutes in charge of Midland in Bristol!)

So please do enjoy the video, and see what I purchased, and the layouts in the show!

Edited by BlueLightning
Video re-added, audio issues fixed
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is here!! So I am preparing the projects for tomorrow nights livestream.

This week we will look at finishing the laser cut SER van kits we started last week with @Skinnylinny, as well as finally being able to start painting the SE Finecast LB&SCR I3 that we have built on stream.

It should be a good stream and I look forward to seeing you there.

I'll be back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime I leave you with the review of last weeks stream.

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It was indeed Annie! and the credit should really go to @Skinnylinny as they were perusing the second hand trader while I was looking after getting vehicles in to unload layouts on the Friday night, when they told me, I thrusted my high viz into their hand and left for the stall to reserve the loco kit for myself. The following morning I arrived at the stall before the show opened, cash in hand to collect the kit, I was giving it no chance to escape!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It's Sunday, so it's Streamday! It is a day for completeing things (or at least making them look a lot more complete!! As we aim to finish the kits from Linny that we started last week, and start work on painting the SE Finecast LB&SCR I3,

I hope to see you there this evening at 9pm (UK)

Gary

On 21/10/2019 at 14:07, ianmaccormac said:

I would be very interested in a better photo of the completed I3 so I can see the lining and lettering clearly. I have seen a couple of 7mm examples of it in use but this is the first 4mm I have seen. Would be interested to find out if anything needs further work, what the instructions were like etc. 

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've just about recovered from the two overnight coach journeys required to make it to the Uckfield show and the stream!

Honestly, the transfers were a dream to work with - no crumpling or falling apart as I've had from some suppliers, the lining was strong enough that it could be "tugged" to ensure it was straight. The only trouble I had was entirely of my own making - I found that having the "L B & S C R" lettering in one piece was very helpful for centering the letters, but I ended up with silvering between the lettering because I didn't gloss varnish under the letters, so putting a transfer over hand-painted matt paint is very much a recipe for silvering. Footsteps were a little tricky, because the cast footsteps didn't quite align with the lining on the sheet, but a few minutes with the scalpel soon solved that. 

I have only one question: Can we look forward to matching Stroudley livery transfers please?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Linny,

Many thanks for that. I did the transfers as I will be lining some locos soon but only tested a few bits. Your notes about silvering noted and explains a problem Colin had on his crane lettering. I will amend instructions. Stroudley will be ready for AGM next year as Australian printer now okay again. Will resume final development of the artwork for February. Am busy finishing off Craven Goods kit printing and etching and instruction at the mo, then Pullmans.

Many thanks, Ian 

• Like 4

On 27/10/2019 at 17:35, Skinnylinny said:

I found that having the "L B & S C R" lettering in one piece was very helpful for centering the letters, but I ended up with silvering between the lettering because I didn't gloss varnish under the letters, so putting a transfer over hand-painted matt paint is very much a recipe for silvering.

Linny, as a possible fix, try painting over the offending silvering in the body colour with a fine brush. Then varnish as usual. If you're careful, you can eliminate most of the problem.

I've done this with Ratio wagons where the LNWR transfers were the offenders, and so eliminated almost all of the silvering. What's left isn't really noticeable. 

Dana

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2019 at 07:27, ianmaccormac said:

Hi Linny,

Many thanks for that. I did the transfers as I will be lining some locos soon but only tested a few bits. Your notes about silvering noted and explains a problem Colin had on his crane lettering. I will amend instructions. Stroudley will be ready for AGM next year as Australian printer now okay again. Will resume final development of the artwork for February. Am busy finishing off Craven Goods kit printing and etching and instruction at the mo, then Pullmans.

Many thanks, Ian 

Ian,

Will the Stroudley transfers be available generally?  I only need enough for one coach though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi ChrisN

The Stroudley transfers will be available to anyone through the EB Models website - http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/index.html

The Marsh ones that Linny has used on Gary's I3 are listed there already.

I have the Carriage transfers and the Stroudley loco lining and lettering almost ready for the printer. Should be available about March 2020.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Its the weekend!!! Time to prepare for the livestream!! The plan for this week is painting, painting, and a few other things. Painting always feels like it makes a lot of progress on projects very quickly, so I hope to see you there for some major progress!!

I well return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime here is the review of last weekends stream.

Hope you enjoy,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't forget to post Tuesdays video........ YOU forgot to post Tuesdays video!!

This week sees another trip to Birch Hill the layout is coming on nicely now, and we even managed to get some running videos showing some workings on the layout! Enjoy!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So this weekend is not just any weekend, it is as we all know remembrance weekend. With that in mind all my usual projects have been put aside to clear the workbench for a brief return of my LB&SCR L Class number 333 Remembrance.

I look forward to seeing you there tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) for this special stream.

Back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime, here is the review of last weeks stream