The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Tuesday videos returned this week!! and so I come to share it with you!!

Whilst having a vist from @Lancaster622 last weekend we visited the Hailsham Model Railway Show so obviously I had to get some video. It is a small show, all housed in a single small room in the community centre, it seemed to have a lot of N gauge this year, and the atmosphere at the show was great!

I hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend!! and this weekend shall see the first bits of lining go onto the SE Finecast LB&SCR I3!!!! We will be using EB Models LB&SCR Umber lining transfers. Join us tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) to see how it goes!

I'll be back with the link tomorrow!

In the meantime I will leave you with the review of last weeks livestream, which even features a moving loco!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's stream day!!!! We are edging closer to adding the lining to the SE Finecast LB&SCR I3!! 

This will be the first use of EB Models transfers on my stream, and I am liking forward to using them live!! 

See you there tonight at 90m (UK) 

Gary 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hellllooooooo Everybody!! and welcome back to Oak Hill!!

Firstly some good(ish) news, You may remember a couple of weeks ago there was a protest against YouTube's new rules, well YouTube listened, things are changing, and they are even lobbying the FTC to allow even more changes!!

and even better than that, I have been layout building with the boy again. So this week we get an update to Birch Hill!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Hellllooooooo Everybody!! and welcome back to Oak Hill!!

Firstly some good(ish) news, You may remember a couple of weeks ago there was a protest against YouTube's new rules, well YouTube listened, things are changing, and they are even lobbying the FTC to allow even more changes!!

and even better than that, I have been layout building with the boy again. So this week we get an update to Birch Hill!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

You and the boy are doing a really good job, Gary. Nice work. And what make are those two coaches the Caley Pug has with it? Look almost like old Gra-Far ones. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Red,

Those are the old Tri-and Caley coaches, which used the standard Tri-ang Mk1 chassis, so are much longer than they should be, one day they will get an attempt at copying @uax6's conversion into 12 wheel Grampian stock, but that is some time away! He has an as yet unseen Caley Single as well, but that needs a bit of repair work doing to it.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
tag the right user
  • Like 1

The coaches are Tri-ang ones if I'm not mistaken.  These 0-4-0St pugs never carried that Westinghouse fitted livery, only the two 0-4-2ST' varients that were used on the Killin branch.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

The coaches are Tri-ang ones if I'm not mistaken.

You are not

20 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

These 0-4-0St pugs never carried that Westinghouse fitted livery,

Indeed they didn't, but it was his first locomotive from his Hornby set when he was 4. At least I didn't use the Caledonian livery "Not Thomas" that he had placed in the shed.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

That's good.  I was getting sick and tired of all those stupid click boxes  - 'Is this video for kids?' - everytime I posted a 40 second clip of my trainset.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend again! and so it must be time to prepare for another livestream!

This week we will be continuing with with the LB&SCR I3, I am hoping to have this build finished before the new year! So this week will hopefully see a lot of work done towards that goal. I hope you will join me tomorrow night at 9pm (UK).

I will return with the link tomorrow, in the meantime I will leave you with the review of last weeks stream!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:53, BlueLightning said:

Thanks Red,

Those are the old Tri-and Caley coaches, which used the standard Tri-ang Mk1 chassis, so are much longer than they should be, one day they will get an attempt at copying @Londontram's conversion into 12 wheel Grampian stock, but that is some time away! He has an as yet unseen Caley Single as well, but that needs a bit of repair work doing to it.

Gary

Do you mean my conversion shown here?:

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry to point it out, but Steve and I are in daily contact, and we regularly talk about stuff like this, and he's talked about doing his Gramps recently, and I've just sent him down some bogies for them!

I know I should really write up some more modelling stuff, but I'm finding it very difficult to finish stuff at the minute, and have lots of half way through items. I'm building three Wee Bens, four Straun Bankers, that terrier conversion, and some Lochs. I hate locos and want to get back to carriages! My plan is to do the Wee Bens upto ready fro paint and then get back to doing some carriages, I've got some more 6 wheelers drawn out (including a banana shaped one!) which I want to do next. I do take photos of everything as I go, so I have lots of bits I could write about...

You may need to badger me to get me to do some writing. Maybe I should start some topics for each one, not just dump them into the generic thread... Whats your thoughts?

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I'm sorry to point it out, but Steve and I are in daily contact, and we regularly talk about stuff like this, and he's talked about doing his Gramps recently, and I've just sent him down some bogies for them!

I know I should really write up some more modelling stuff, but I'm finding it very difficult to finish stuff at the minute, and have lots of half way through items. I'm building three Wee Bens, four Straun Bankers, that terrier conversion, and some Lochs. I hate locos and want to get back to carriages! My plan is to do the Wee Bens upto ready fro paint and then get back to doing some carriages, I've got some more 6 wheelers drawn out (including a banana shaped one!) which I want to do next. I do take photos of everything as I go, so I have lots of bits I could write about...

You may need to badger me to get me to do some writing. Maybe I should start some topics for each one, not just dump them into the generic thread... Whats your thoughts?

Andy G

Andy,

I would stick with your generic thread otherwise they might just  get lost.  If you do not regularly trawl through all RMWeb things start and you do not see them.  You could do it in the Pre-Grouping area which means that all those that follow that will know.

You could put links in your signature but you are only allowed up to six now, and only four lines so once you try and change it it has to comply, hence my truncated signature now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Those projects all sound great!! and I must say I prefer making locos to carriages! (maybe we should swap :jester:) That banana shaped carriage sounds very intriguing!

I do miss seeing modelling from both you and Steve, you are both very talented modellers!! it would be great to see stuff posted! I would stick to the generic threads, it is much easier to find multiple projects that way, I notice a lot of people update the titles of generic threads to say what they are currently working on, that at least shows people what the current project is.

I am hoping to get the boy to a level that he can do his own projects before the Grampian stock is done. I might get him some Ratio 4 wheelers to start out carriage building, that platform of his really isn't long enough for bogie stock!

For those that haven't seen, Andy's threads are here. They are fantastic, and you should definitely give them a read, and then tell him how fantastic they are!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having just looked at my Loco thread I see that I left it with the terrier conversion. Its much further on now, and I think (its been a good 6 months since I opened the box and looked at it!) it just needs the exisiting paint stripping off the body and then handrails and paint. So I might get the stripper out for her and try and make a bit of progress.

Having discovered w/metal soldering I'm having fun doing kits properly now, and learning a whole different method of doing things.

As for all the praise, I'm not sure I'm worthy of it all, there's so much I wish I could do better (If I could get to the Late Colin Parks level I would be happy!)....

Ratio kits are a good starting point, but can also carry many pitfalls. The LNWR ones have ends that even to this day frustrate me beyond words! I can never get a good looking joint between them and the sides, and the roofs are another annoyance. Get him some GWR four wheelers, and also buy yourself 'Carriage Modelling Made Easy' by David Jenkinson. A lot of my inspiration to get better comes from this book, and there are lots of really good images that describe what he is doing as well, which is a big help. I base my write-ups on this style as I feel that it shows actually is isn't as difficult as it looks to get good detail, but often you are never shown, so it seems difficult. I do make mistakes, and do end up going down blind alleys, but I show that and I'm not afraid to show it either, as that is how everyone learns (and I'm far from prefect, two of the Wee Bens I had soldered the cab and splashers one, and dressed them all back, and they looked stunning. I put the boilers on and found that I had them soldered on in the wrong place.... Out with the boiling water and start again!)

Andy G

(Who will make an effort to get some stuff up over the coming weeks....)

Edit: I wish that you would load some photos up on this thread, rather than youtube or else where, as I can't see them here in work, which is about the only place I get enough time to look at things!

Edit 2: Hows the Freebee?

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Having just looked at my Loco thread I see that I left it with the terrier conversion. Its much further on now,

That would be great to see! I did like the look of that project very much! (Well I would wouldn't I, it involves a Terrier!)

13 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Having discovered w/metal soldering

I am so glad I discovered this! I have even taken apart some old whitemetal kits that I had glued, so that I could solder them!

14 minutes ago, uax6 said:

As for all the praise, I'm not sure I'm worthy of it all, there's so much I wish I could do better

In my opinion wanting to improve, and having a goal to aim for just makes it even better! Not being Colin Parks doesn't mean you aren't a fantastic modeller already!

I think I already have the Jenkinson book I certainly have some of his books.

I'll be looking forward to you trying to get something up!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well there is also two follow one terrier projects too. One is a rebuild of one into a proper terrier, ie a Lochgorm Tank, and the other is a finishing off of a Dornoch Tank from a very old kit. The Dornoch tank needs a chassis rebuild and the front end sorting (which should be quite easy...he says!), wheras the Lochgorm tank may be a much bigger task, but hopefully better than my Hornby conversion, in as much as it will be much heavier, and will have a proper motor!

I really need to get a modelling bench at home, so that I can actually do stuff there instead of just wasting time, but its difficult to find somewhere to put it.

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the Lochgorm and Dornoch Tanks would be great!! I know someone else that wants a Dornoch Tank. So will have to show them when you do finally get around to it!

Yes having a workbench at home is rather helpful, (and if you are me with the YouTube stuff essential!), but it does get in the way. Mine is collapsible on folding legs, although it's been quite a while since it came down.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Chris-P-Dave has a good setup in his lounge, a desk at the back of the room, allowing him to be in the same room as SWMBO, and also allowing him to see the telly as well. I can't see my Mrs going for it in our tiny house though!

At the minute I seem to only make progress in between trains on late turn and weekends, so a max of 20hrs a month. Today It's taken three hours to fit 7 parts to the Wee Bens, the smokebox front and front frames, and I was missing the door for one of the two bens! That's why it takes me so long to get anywhere, but it is quite nice filling holes with solder and filing them back, but it doesn't half clog files!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lounge setups are great! The reason my workbench is collapsible was so that I could put it up at the sofa when I was with my ex, and now that it's just me it lives in the lounge so I can can the telly on in the background.

I have had plenty of projects go like that in the past, and a constant stream of replacement files!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1