On 21/10/2019 at 14:07, ianmaccormac said:

I would be very interested in a better photo of the completed I3 so I can see the lining and lettering clearly. I have seen a couple of 7mm examples of it in use but this is the first 4mm I have seen. Would be interested to find out if anything needs further work, what the instructions were like etc. 

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've just about recovered from the two overnight coach journeys required to make it to the Uckfield show and the stream!

Honestly, the transfers were a dream to work with - no crumpling or falling apart as I've had from some suppliers, the lining was strong enough that it could be "tugged" to ensure it was straight. The only trouble I had was entirely of my own making - I found that having the "L B & S C R" lettering in one piece was very helpful for centering the letters, but I ended up with silvering between the lettering because I didn't gloss varnish under the letters, so putting a transfer over hand-painted matt paint is very much a recipe for silvering. Footsteps were a little tricky, because the cast footsteps didn't quite align with the lining on the sheet, but a few minutes with the scalpel soon solved that. 

I have only one question: Can we look forward to matching Stroudley livery transfers please?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Linny,

Many thanks for that. I did the transfers as I will be lining some locos soon but only tested a few bits. Your notes about silvering noted and explains a problem Colin had on his crane lettering. I will amend instructions. Stroudley will be ready for AGM next year as Australian printer now okay again. Will resume final development of the artwork for February. Am busy finishing off Craven Goods kit printing and etching and instruction at the mo, then Pullmans.

Many thanks, Ian 

• Like 5

Oooooh, Craven Goods, you say?and Pullmans? Exciting times indeed to be a Brighton modeller! 

• Like 3

On 27/10/2019 at 17:35, Skinnylinny said:

I found that having the "L B & S C R" lettering in one piece was very helpful for centering the letters, but I ended up with silvering between the lettering because I didn't gloss varnish under the letters, so putting a transfer over hand-painted matt paint is very much a recipe for silvering.

Linny, as a possible fix, try painting over the offending silvering in the body colour with a fine brush. Then varnish as usual. If you're careful, you can eliminate most of the problem.

I've done this with Ratio wagons where the LNWR transfers were the offenders, and so eliminated almost all of the silvering. What's left isn't really noticeable. 

Dana

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Dana, I'll try that in future. I ended up replacing the transfers and the loco is now 450 miles away at Gary's but still a useful dodge! 

• Like 2

Do these transfers respond well to MicroSet and/or MicroSol? (Or similar products.)

• Like 1

I didn't need to use either. I was applying to a nice flat surface though. 

• Like 2

On 28/10/2019 at 07:27, ianmaccormac said:

Hi Linny,

Many thanks for that. I did the transfers as I will be lining some locos soon but only tested a few bits. Your notes about silvering noted and explains a problem Colin had on his crane lettering. I will amend instructions. Stroudley will be ready for AGM next year as Australian printer now okay again. Will resume final development of the artwork for February. Am busy finishing off Craven Goods kit printing and etching and instruction at the mo, then Pullmans.

Many thanks, Ian 

Ian,

Will the Stroudley transfers be available generally?  I only need enough for one coach though.

• Like 1

Hi ChrisN

The Stroudley transfers will be available to anyone through the EB Models website - http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/index.html

The Marsh ones that Linny has used on Gary's I3 are listed there already.

I have the Carriage transfers and the Stroudley loco lining and lettering almost ready for the printer. Should be available about March 2020.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I forgot to post Tuesdays video, so this week saw an update to my sons layout, which is making some nice progress, mostly by his hand! so check out what he has been up to here

• Like 4

Its the weekend!!! Time to prepare for the livestream!! The plan for this week is painting, painting, and a few other things. Painting always feels like it makes a lot of progress on projects very quickly, so I hope to see you there for some major progress!!

I well return tomorrow with the link, in the meantime here is the review of last weekends stream.

Hope you enjoy,

• Like 2

Stream day has arrived!! So please join us tonight at 9pm (UK) for painting, progress, and more!

I look forward to seeing there!!

• Like 3

I didn't forget to post Tuesdays video........ YOU forgot to post Tuesdays video!!

This week sees another trip to Birch Hill the layout is coming on nicely now, and we even managed to get some running videos showing some workings on the layout! Enjoy!!

• Like 3

So this weekend is not just any weekend, it is as we all know remembrance weekend. With that in mind all my usual projects have been put aside to clear the workbench for a brief return of my LB&SCR L Class number 333 Remembrance.

I look forward to seeing you there tomorrow night at 9pm (UK) for this special stream.

Back with the link tomorrow, in the meantime, here is the review of last weeks stream

• Like 1

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

final.jpg.9419261b7099d6f1a54976bae6ac706c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

As it is Remembrance Sunday tonights stream will be a special dedicated to the event. We will be working on my LB&SCR L Class number 33 "Remembrance"

The loco will finally be receiving it's proper transfers, allowing us to finally look at my homemade transfers, So I will be answering questions about making them throughout the night!

I look forward to seeing you there at 9pm (UK) tonight!!

• Like 5

Really need to get better at remembering to post these videos. It's times like this I wish RMWeb had a feature to enable scheduled posts, then I cold do it when I upload the video (Usually a day or so before it actually goes live)

If you want to make sure you don't miss them you could always subscribe to my YouTube channel!

I started a new series on YouTube this week, looking at my stock, I decided to start with an overview of my unbuilt kits, to show what can be expected to be seen in future streams.

It's a reasonable long video, but I hope you enjoy!!

Gary

• Like 4

It's the weekend!! Almost time to go live!!

This weekend we will be hopefully finishing work on the LB&SCR L Class Remembrance, following a good stream last weekend.

I hope to see you there tomorrow at 9pm (UK)

I will return with the link tomorrow, in the meantime check out the review of last weekends stream below!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 3

Oh look I'm remembering to post this before I go to promote the stream and realise it's not there!!

This weeks video is another Stock Overview, this time looking at the stock that has been built over the course of the livestream!

There will not be an extra video next week as I upload on Tuesday, which this week a large part of the YouTube community that make family friendly content are declaring "No upload day" in protest at some new restrictions on such content. As this has affected me I have decided to take part!

Hope you enjoy,

Gary

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1