Hornby at London Toy Fair

Andy Y

Just a thought on the Downton Abbey set.

Could it be this late because of the length of time it has taken to get a licence from the TV company that won't bankrupt them paying for it?

As I said, just a (cynical) thought.

Les

H.L.Mencken said (paraphrased) that "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligent of the American public", but I think you may find plenty of gullibility no matter where you look.

As has been mentioned, DA is over or drawing to a close as it is over here.  Shopping just before Christmas, there was an overload of DA themed stuff ranging from the inevitable tea bags to anything with the name stuck on it.  So maybe the Hornby set should be included although there was a lot of the same stuff on sale after the holidays - 50pc off!   If people in the US are gullible, at least they waited for the best price!

Brian.

Did/will Hornby do an East Enders set for the laboring classes......

Exactly the same set only in factory-weathered finish with the Holden loco named Walford

Also fitted with a TTS sound decoder.

Sound effects include....

F5 - "Leave it arrrt"

F6 - "RICKY !"

F7 - "You Slag !!"

The Eastenders set will also regularly derail, causing a disaster crash scenario, with some additional murder, wife beating, ######, extra-marital affairs, double-crossing and family feuds.

All good clean family fun for the kiddies to enjoy with Mum and Dad.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

Also fitted with a TTS sound decoder.

Sound effects include....

F5 - "Leave it arrrt"

F6 - "RICKY !"

F7 - "You Slag !!"

The Eastenders set will also regularly derail, causing a disaster crash scenario, with some additional murder, wife beating, ######, extra-marital affairs, double-crossing and family feuds.

All good clean family fun for the kiddies to enjoy with Mum and Dad.

Don't forget F99 'Sawted'

• RMweb Gold

When my daughter was about 6 in 1984, she had a 'Pound Puppy' made by Hornby. I think they had the UK franchise at that time. It was a dog supposedly from the pound that you adopted, a rival toy to Cabbage Patch kids

Didnt that nearly bankrupt the company?

• RMweb Gold

When my daughter was about 6 in 1984, she had a 'Pound Puppy' made by Hornby. I think they had the UK franchise at that time. It was a dog supposedly from the pound that you adopted, a rival toy to Cabbage Patch kids

Hardly surprising this didn't do well, a puppy in a pound is hardly the cutest part of a dogs life. Maybe they should have bought the franchise for the 'my little pony' abottoir set or the pepper pig full English breakfast kit!

• RMweb Gold

There was a train set to go with that range too - basically the standard clockwork set with 'Pound Puppies' written on the side of the engine.

Heatsealed plastic cocoons. What a strange way to merchandise locos and rolling stock!  I suppose thats Limas equivalent of Hornby Railroad - can't see any fine detail parts surviving the unpacking process. Or, looking more closely,  are they additional to the Junior range?  I do think the "Junior" plastic track is a bit of a dead end, especially if you want to encourage "Junior" customers to eventually progress to even the cheaper end of mainstream model railways. Unless there's something dodgy about the wheel geometry of the Junior range, they ought to run on conventional track quite happily.

It'll be interesting to see how far Hornby take the r/c battery train idea. If inexpensive enough, the mechanisms may have potential!

I rather like the Airfix Engineer Radial Engine model, but given the size of the box, I feel it must be in the same price bracket as their rather warped looking loco.

The wooden set seems to be confused as to what is a road vehicle and what belongs on a railway.  In 15 years time, we're going to have more drivers believing that cars and trains can co-exist happily on level crossings....

That cocoon style of packing is surprisingly very tough and durable. I've over the years received gifts and other little things of various shapes and sizes in the same style of packaging, tried many a time to damage it. Was never successful. Let me add, it took me about 15 mins to poke a compass through it. The packing is indeed drable and perfect for toy trains.

There's also a sort of Q6 coming up in the Airfix range (maybe with an elongated Collett boiler?). Scale? Don't know I'm afraid but Phil said it's a big box.

attachicon.gifAirfix_Loco s.jpg

So is that the Airfix  21st Century equivalent of their Pen-y-Darren? Gerry Anderson never predicted that.

P

That cocoon style of packing is surprisingly very tough and durable. I've over the years received gifts and other little things of various shapes and sizes in the same style of packaging, tried many a time to damage it. Was never successful. Let me add, it took me about 15 mins to poke a compass through it. The packing is indeed drable and perfect for toy trains.

But what struck me is what do you do when you want put your train set away? If you don't have a box to put the items back into then they could end up being damaged.