Farish GUV Express Parcels Blue/Farish Newspaper vans

35 Ark Royal

Hi i have some of theese.I must say the detailing is very good.Is it a new model? The only thing is they don't quite look right with my Farish Newspaper vans as theese look more like toys. I am guessing this is an old model?I am thinking of ditching theese and getting more of the GUV As the Newspaper vans seem poorly detailed.I used to have a Bachmann Newspaper van in OO that was well detailed so why in N is it so poor

many thanks

Ian

BG is a 1984 moulding, GUV a 1991 moulding I believe - but very much of the same design.

Bachmann haven't released any completely new Mark 1 coach mouldings. They've slowly improved the range - vastly improving the printing, better bogies, wheels, some new coaches and a new bogie type, but not gone from scratch to a current standard. That said the existing mouldings are reasonably ok - right shape, right length etc.

Obvious glitches are the coupling distance (especially some Bachmann early ones), and the lack of gangway rubbing plates. The latter is easily fixed with a bit of glue and some etched rubbing plates. The former can be fixed by using shorter couplers, and to get the best results TPM etched buffers which can be fitted in retracted position giving very close coupling.

The biggest error area is the underframe which is totally bogus but seems to get noticed less perhaps because of the angles they are viewed at. That can be fixed but is a far bigger task. The solebar colour is also wrong on a lot of them.

I find lighting weathering them helps a great as they can be a bit "shiny" and too perfect out of the box. They look too much like someone sat in the carriage shed polishing them all night.

Alan

Bachmann haven't released any completely new Mark 1 coach mouldings.

Not quite correct: They've done the Super BG and Suburban stock, both on 57 ft underframes that could be swapped with the older stuff, and the five types of Mk.1 Pullmans on equally detailed underframes, but ones that can't be swapped with the earlier type.

Of course, we're all waiting for the new generation 'normal' corridor Mk.1s. We might have to wait a week, we might have to wait longer...

IMO both the GUV and BG are pretty good models apart from the under-frame and roof profile. Not much can be done about the roof profile but the under-frame can be upgraded with an Ultima etched one and details such as corridor rubbing plates added (by TPM). And change any old shiny road roller pizza cutter wheels for the current finer profile blackened ones. Also the latest Bachmann paint finish is far better (see the BGs below; Bachmann left, Farish right);

post-33-126760485486_thumb.jpg

post-33-126760486838_thumb.jpg

G.

I am thinking of ditching these...

Can I have first dibs on them? Ideal for my Challenge layout.

Of course, we're all waiting for the new generation 'normal' corridor Mk.1s. We might have to wait a week, we might have to wait longer...

Oh yes please. Surely the biggest hole in UK N gauge is the lack of decent Mk Is - the Staniers, Pullmans and Dapol Mk IIIs have shown the way forward.

(tsk, sales and wishlist and topic diversion - three forum rule breaks in a single post biggrin.gif )

Current Bachmann printing is a massive improvement on the old Farish ones (certainly on the red & crimson and blue & grey ones I have) - the solebar printing alone lifts the whole model. The bigger problem you'll have Ian is actually getting hold of BGs in blue & grey as they've not been done for a couple of years now I think and they go for good money on eBay as a result. Newspaper-specific vans in particular haven't been produced for quite a while now sad.gif

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

The soon- to -be available Motorail GUV is reviewed in the latest Hornby mag; its number is E93955; it lacks the 'Motorail' branding on the LH side(as per the Farish website) which I find disappointing; all is has to distinguish it from a normal GUV is NXV TOPS coding and 'MOTORAIL' in small capitals underneath. Oh well, maybe it is authentic, but I'll be tempted to add a transfer to make it stand out.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/65903-e86453/

These will do me fine as the large Motorail lettering didn't get added until the mid 1980s. I have already converted some GUVs to Motorail traffic, there weren't that many in 1980. The model is E93955 which dates it later as they were renumbered out of the 86xxx series so I'll have to renumber it. !

• RMweb Premium

The soon- to -be available Motorail GUV is reviewed in the latest Hornby mag; its number is E93955; it lacks the 'Motorail' branding on the LH side(as per the Farish website) which I find disappointing; all is has to distinguish it from a normal GUV is NXV TOPS coding and 'MOTORAIL' in small capitals underneath. Oh well, maybe it is authentic, but I'll be tempted to add a transfer to make it stand out.

Hi

That is good news for me as it means less lettering to remove as I have given up waiting for a plain blue one.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster are listing the Motorail blue ones as in stock now although oddly Hatton are not.

Anyone got their hands on one yet and able to share a pic or two please? All the retailers are showing the generated catalogue pic.

• RMweb Premium

Haven't ordered mine yet but Kernow have a non Bachmann picture

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40464/374-134-Graham-Farish-BR-Mk1-GUV-Blue-Motorail

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/product/0091439206912.jpg

When I get mine I'm thinking of printing some pictures of cars to place inside the GUV as a load that you can make out through the window and block the view from one side to the other.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks!  Doesn't look like the Bachmann catalogue picture that is for certain but not a problem for me.  Annoyingly the BR(S) van has been released as well so my one van purchase may be about to become two...

• RMweb Premium

The catalogue image Hattons are using clearly shows a large Motorail name and double arrow, the production version does not.

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/374-134_1530322_Qty1_CAT.JPG

Not a problem for me but I reckon a few may be a bit annoyed when they open the box.

Hallo,

I have trawled the web for photos of Motorail GUVs in Blue (rather than BlueGrey or InterCity) and most appear to have B1 bogies. I have seen Blue (mail) GUVs on YouTube Clips riding on B4s. Anyone out there who could confirm that there would also have been Blue Motorail GUVs with B4s (ie before the InterCity Executive/Swallow repaints) - main interest for WCML? 

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Premium

I've not come across any photos of GUV,s in Motorail traffic in rail blue and shod with B4 bogies. Some also gained Commonwealth bogies in Motorail traffic but not before they were in blue / grey or Intercity livery. Am happy to be contradicted.

From the 1978 RCTS coaching stock book

Mk1 GUV E86097 M86159 M86168 E86230 E86234 E86236 E86237 E86331 E86334 E86337 E86344 E86345 E86349 E86351 E86355 E86363 E86385 E86443 E86446-8 E86450 E86453 W86495 W86628 M86641 W86643 W86656 E86685 E86691 W86754-5

M86874 M86949 All with B2 or B1 bogies and vacuum brakes.

By the 1982 version several had gained dual brakes or air brakes but none with anything other than B2 or B1 bogies numbers are now

E86097 E86159 E86168 M86286 E86320 E86324 E86326 M86327 E86331/4/7 E86344-45/9 M86351/5 E86363 E86385 M86440/3/6-9 E86453 W86495 W86656 E86665/9 W86675 E86685 E86691 E86736/7 E86754/5 W86628 M86641 W86643 M86874 M86949 M86958

Just found my 1987 book by now the GUVs had been renumbered into the 93xxx series

Several Motorail GUVs are shown with B5 bogies none with Commonwealths. The following are shown in blue / grey livery with B5 bogies M93324 M93331 M93334 M93337.

The next book I have is for 1994 by which time they had been renumbered again into the 96100 - 96195 series for 100mph stock all shown with Commonwealth (mainly ) or B5 bogies, most are in Intercity livery but a couple show in blue / grey. There was also a batch 96210-218 with new end doors B5 bogies and rated for 110mph all in Intercity livery.

The Farish model is E93955 which was 86355 after stock was renumbered to avoid clashes with class 86 locos.

EDIT above line corrected see BOMAG entry below, thanks.

Hallo,

Thanks for the research, appreciated

I have this from YouTube

at 1min21 there are Motorail GUVs so these will be B1s right? Hard for me to see​

And now for some reason I cannot copy & paste the next link, but in the rmweb "Websites" forum, on page 5 I started a thread called You Tube clip WCML in which there are Motorail GUVs and Mail GUVs. Again the Motorail GUVs will be B1s? Are the mail GUVs also on B1s?

again thanks for all your info, very informative

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Premium

As you say difficult to say but they look like B2 or B1 bogies which are similar the Commonwealth and B5 bogies have a very distinctive shape or outline. If they are in parcels service they would be B2/B1.

Nice slides though

According to the combination of Longworth and P5 the new model of 93955 covers the period between 7/83 (when it was renumbered from 86955) and 1995 (approx) - the 1996 P5 shows it as a NJV - normal electric wired. It lasted until 2/94 when it was converter to an Eurostar barrier vehicle. Through out this period it had BR2 bogies (as all GUVs were built with); the only GUVs with BR1s at this time were 15 NLX newspaper vans (940xx ex 855xx).

By 1985 the full adoption of Mk3 sleepers meant that the NXVs had limited use; 15 in P5 1985 - 7 in P5 1987 - none by P5 1988. When renumbered  - 5/87 onwards NXswere air or dual braked, some already had B5 but the others gained B5 or C bogies either on renumbering or afterwards  (all rebogied by 1990)  

• RMweb Premium

As I have a second on the way (a chance Ebay bargain so saved a couple of quid  :sungum: ) can anyone suggest a suitable number to renumber it too please?  I have been trying to figure out the myriad of bogie/livery combos and it was at that point my brain spontaneously imploded!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived